Eva Pic Thread 6: The Search for More Money (use spoilers)

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:32 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:ME BIG STRONG MAN. ME PROTECT FRAIL LITTLE WOMAN.

(Honestly, just mentally replace Eva-01 and -02 with some stereotypical pulp hero and damsel, and the harpies with some generic winged monsters. Conclusion: Fuck you, Sadamoto.)

Okay  SPOILER: Show

Oh well Asuka I could save you from a torturous death but that'd be reinforcing the patriarchy. Enjoy your disembowelment. Cheers!
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Rei IV » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:38 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Honestly, just mentally replace Eva-01 and -02 with some stereotypical pulp hero and damsel, and the harpies with some generic winged monsters. Conclusion: Fuck you, Sadamoto.

Sadamoto lost credibility with me way before this (Remember our joking around of Ritz choking Rei in the most comical fashion?)

I doubt I'll ever read the manga in its entirety now. Something tells me nothing of value was lost for that.

:hahaha:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:06 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Oh well Asuka I could save you from a torturous death but that'd be reinforcing the patriarchy. Enjoy your disembowelment. Cheers!

The sexist subtext is all in the composition of the pic and the way the two Evas are posed.

(That picture is from the Sadamoto manga, right? Can't be arsed to check right now.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:30 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:(Honestly, just mentally replace Eva-01 and -02 with some stereotypical pulp hero and damsel, and the harpies with some generic winged monsters.

What if I replace 02 with a wounded fellow soldier and make it not about sex at all? That's even what the pose reminded me of when I first saw it.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Lavinius » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:40 pm

Reichu I thought you'd be the first to point out that they're both women. :ritsuko_mug:
Kyoko's just checking out Yui's BDSMeltran behind.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Sgt. Griff » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:29 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:What if I replace 02 with a wounded fellow soldier and make it not about sex at all? That's even what the pose reminded me of when I first saw it.

In the end, people will see what they want to see.

:|

unfortunately,
Leave Shinji alone

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:37 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:What if I replace 02 with a wounded fellow soldier and make it not about sex at all? That's even what the pose reminded me of when I first saw it.

In Reichu's defense the MPEs are basically a rape squad of flying attack penises.

That doesn't justify off-handedly dissing the pulps. 90% of the contents of Amazing Stories and Weird Tales may have been garbage, but the 10% that was weirdly lyrical and full of profound insights like

SPOILER: Show
I have known many gods. He who denies them is as blind as he who trusts them too deeply. I seek not beyond death. It may be the blackness averred by the Nemedian skeptics, or Crom's realm of ice and cloud, or the snowy plains and vaulted halls of the Nordheimer's Valhalla. I know not, nor do I care. Let me live deep while I live; let me know the rich juices of red meat and stinging wine on my palate, the hot embrace of white arms, the mad exultation of battle when the blue blades flame and crimson, and I am content. Let teachers and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.

and

Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph

and

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

and it's not the authors' fault that the magazines slapped watercolors of half naked damsels on the cover to sell more magazines.

school uniform so sexy  SPOILER: Show
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:23 am

Chuckman wrote:That doesn't justify off-handedly dissing the pulps. (...) it's not the authors' fault that the magazines slapped watercolors of half naked damsels on the cover to sell more magazines.

Just to be clear: That style of art is specifically what I was dissing.

If I ever get back into art myself, something I really want to do, in fact, is parody either (optimally both!) of the "Shinji valiantly rescues Rei/Asuka" scenarios that the typically Shinji-bashing fans get so wet about. I can see gruff barbarian Shinji or sci-fi action hero Shinji so clearly in my mind's eye...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Rei IV » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:27 am

I'm hoping that day comes soon, Reichu because your art/drawings are something else (or truly out of this world).

:lol:

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:34 am

Oh, you mean like exactly what happened in several episodes without needing to go into some over-the-top ridiculousness? Or just the end of 2.22 before timeskip shit all over it?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:37 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Just to be clear: That style of art is specifically what I was dissing.

The airbrushed van is holy to my people.
the prophecy is true

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:08 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:The sexist subtext is all in the composition of the pic and the way the two Evas are posed.

Yea, it's not like Asuka got her ass kicked or anything and that's why she's laying on the ground, or like Shinji's in an appropriate stance given the multi angled nature of their attack.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Alpha
Adam

Postby Alpha » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:19 am

View Original PostReichu wrote: Fuck you, Sadamoto.)

Im glad Im not the only one who felt that way with that. ^_^
This is what nature planned. This is nature's sacrifice.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:51 am

Hmm. "Eye of the beholder" is what springs to mind, honestly (also, consider what happens over the page).

Of course you could argue (as some would) that such a scene ought never to appear in fiction again - but that would be a full-on SJW position, don't you think?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:32 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:The sexist subtext is all in the composition of the pic and the way the two Evas are posed.

(That picture is from the Sadamoto manga, right? Can't be arsed to check right now.)

Yes it's from the Sadamoto manga, and while it could be seen as a stereotype "me strong male protect female", that image placed in its context is very different : it's just after Asuka and Shinji destroyed that Harpies and they reactivated and lunged head first into the duo. That image is actually Shinji and Asuka crapping their pants in front of the mass attack. The image after is Shinji trying to protect EVA-02 with his Eva's body and inadvertently unleashing its power, summoning th 4 wings of light... and the spear of Longinus which will paralyze him and let the Harpies captures him and begin HIP.

That image is not a stereotypical Conan-like pose, but more akin to a Game Over screen for Shinji and Asuka.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:03 am

If I'm really honest with myself, my original comment was a throwaway joke and I probably don't think the situation is intrinsically sexist or anything. But it's the manga, so I'm going to make fun of it. :tongue:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:09 am

Can someone tell me what's going on in this picture? :bigeyes:

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:14 am

View Original PostDataprime wrote:Can someone tell me what's going on in this picture?

Think Disney World.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Rei IV » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:26 am

Why does Lilith's beer gut gives the impression she looks the preggers? Is it LCL? More symbolism at work?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:41 am

^
She always had the preggers gut, it's probably a symbolism for her status as Seed of Life/Mother of Mankind.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Return to “Old Stickies”