3.33 UK release for August 25th, 2014!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
TB3
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TB3 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:11 am

Is it me or is Mari humming 'Ode to Joy' at the beginning? And although the trailer reveals too much (enough that I'm advising my brother, who remains unspoiled of Q's plot, to not watch it) - parts of it are beautifully edited - particularly Mari's voice humming eerily over the end.
Does the bus run through here!?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:44 am

It's a trailer. I'll give Funimation/Manga Entertainment small commendations for actually using Shiro Sagisu's music in their trailer this time. I can't remember how they marketed 1.11 but for 2.22 I remember they wonked their trailer with some awful track that sounded like it was made by an intern at their offices who once used SoundtrackPro in high school.

As usual I'll give the dub a once over viewing to see how it feels & then never bother with it again.

Asukaner117
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Asukaner117 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 pm

I think the German trailer is better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bYPk_kpYkk

But i HATE the German Blu-Ray cover. Not as bad as the one for 2.22, but still not the real deal :( Maybe i will double dip for the superior UK cover :D
God's in his heaven all's right with the world

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:37 pm

Of course. It's the original JPN trailer!

:tongue:

Asukaner117
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Asukaner117 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:43 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Of course. It's the original JPN trailer!

:tongue:

Really? God damit, lazy bastards :D
God's in his heaven all's right with the world

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:19 pm

It's me, or did Misato's English voice when she's saying that their objective is the destruction of all of NERV's Eva sounds completely enraged, like she's at the edge of a breakdown, while the original Japanese was much more cold and collected?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:35 pm

I wouldn't read too much into any of the English dub "performances". It's a bunch of "actors" reading cue cards & loosely mimicking other people.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:10 pm

^
Well, they're doing their best, but unfortunately they didn't had Anno behind them to correct their interpretation until they deliver their lined in the exact way he envisioned, see the Japanese's VAs interviews where Sakura's seiyu was asked to make it so we feel her admiration toward Misato when she speaks to her, or Misato's seiyu whose lines as Q!Misato has to be recorded many times until they reach the perfect measure of authority and professional coldness without making her sounds as heartless.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:58 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I wouldn't read too much into any of the English dub "performances". It's a bunch of "actors" reading cue cards & loosely mimicking other people.

We can do without the baiting, man. I could happily live the rest of my life without ever seeing another dub vs. sub argument.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:01 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:We can do without the baiting, man. I could happily live the rest of my life without ever seeing another dub vs. sub argument.

You and me both.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:05 pm

I was elected to lead, not to read.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:08 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:You and me both.

Agreed. I'm very much fine with the Dub performances either way.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:54 am

3.0 was the very first time I heard Eva in Japanese. :chair:
I liked them Both.
Anywho That trailer is pretty epic. I watched it over and over and over and over
Good Stuff!

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:41 am

View Original PostDataprime wrote:3.0 was the very first time I heard Eva in Japanese. :chair:

Same here actually :chair: Very stoked to hear the voices I'm used to take on this film.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:09 pm

View Original PostAsukaner117 wrote:Really? God damit, lazy bastards :D

For my part, I'm glad that they respected the original work, even if this comes with the irksome side effect of us not getting a preview on actual voice work.

As for the English one: You could say it's rather hectic, with the multiple sound breaks/switches, and the overlayed opening scene, Mari's singing etc. but it's pretty much appropiate. It's supposed to be this way, disjumbled, chaotic, exploding mess. Tells you excatly what to expect in the movie and why you should watch it.
"Where am I? ...Misato?"
Yeah. Says it all.
Without showing too much of one of the most important ingredients: Rei and Kaworu's roles.

That was also very good technobabble, as far as that's a concern.
The rendering of Fuyutsuki's line was also cinematically epic, and shows how the makers recognized it's significance by rendering it this way and putting it in the trailer.

I'm very dissapointed with Asuka and Mari, tho.

The "dissonant playfulness" that dominated the original and was at least somewhat expressed in 2.0 was completely discarded in favor of distorting Mari into a common American gritty swearing action figure, and all 2.0 related hopes of Grant improving are out of the window, too. She didn't even try to make her different, worse yet, she's back to the half-assed, shrill shrieking from the classic series dub as far as I can tell.

Misato & Shinji sound reasonably OK so far, despite what initial descriptions have given me reason to fear, allthough these weren't that crucial moments, Shinji-wise, they can still very much blow it to the extent discribed by early reviewers.
I'm really liking the rendition of this new, no-nonsense Misato, so far. It's not identical to the Japanese performance/ usind subtly different techniques to archieve the intended effect, more intensely driven than callously icy, but it's definitely archieving it.
You hear a bit of the old Misato (albeit her business mode incarnation) when she's barking orders to her crew - and pure captain ahab when she proclaims her life purpose and mission.
Remind me of Nadia's captain nemo more than the original does (he was capable of ham), yet, she brilliantly pulls off the archetype AND makes you take it seriously despite being female.
The two lines about the whole NERV-annihilation business were positively epic and cinematic;
You expect her to go KHAAAAN at any moment, and BUY IT with stunned silence instead of laughter.
You can tell that at least SOME of them took this project seriously and aimed for the feeling of a stunning epos/cinematic feeling.

Apparently, they're keeping the first-name shift from the 2.0 finale. This might bite them in the butt if 4.0 has an actual first-name shift or lampshades the lack thereof, which is not unlikely with these movies' emphasis on the subject.
Still, if it helped - it's a bit of a shame that it's drowned out by so many 'splosions, because the intensity with which Shinji calls for Rei was formidably implemented and... well, I've said "epic and cinematic" often enough. I think there's a bit of a subtle archetecture of desperation for answers, and anything familiar and tangible, but it never stops it being this typical intense movie call for the name of the woman you love.
Please, let the rest of the performance be like this.

The first impression of Sakura's VA is also good, I'd say.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:49 pm

Since my original post didn't get the idea across:

This is a thread about the UK release, not about the merits or lack thereof of localization voice work.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:59 am

So, in the light of this, will the UK release also be delayed, or might we actually get it before the US!!?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:11 pm

As UK, Australian and New Zealand license holders rely on Funimation's DVD & BD for the English dub, it is likely that they will have to delay their local release until Funi has it all ready for them.
Voluntary Illusion.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:16 pm

But I don't think this is a delay in having it ready - it's a delay in releasing it.
Last edited by pwhodges on Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:32 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:As UK, Australian and New Zealand license holders rely on Funimation's DVD & BD for the English dub

They should get to do their own, so that a British Mari exists somewhere in the world (aside from anime conventions, maybe).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”