Is Eva the only show of its kind that you watch?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Ringworm128
Lilith

Is Eva the only show of its kind that you watch?

•      
  •      

Postby Ringworm128 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:28 am

I was recently thinking and something crossed my mind, Evangelion is pretty much the only series of it's it's kind that I watch. I usually only watch comedy shows like The Simpsons and Family Guy or straight foward action shows like DBZ and Fairy Tail. Is anyone else like this?
Chuckman#695701 wrote:Don't you understand? The best way to shelter children from the mind-warping horror that is a pair of perky teen tits is to blindfold them with guts.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:50 am

But how do you define the "kind" of show that Evangelion is? I started rewatching the original show last week, after spending the past year or two getting to know a somewhat wide range of anime, and I was immediately struck by the fact that it was from the start distinctly un-like any other show that I have seen.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Violet Shadow
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Violet Shadow » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:21 am

I enjoy mature themed anime and games; I don't hate others but I like watching these kind of shows because I'm always searching for shows that can really tell me something.
If love can hurt then hate can surely save.

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SimplyMason0 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:03 am

I don't watch psychological shows. Only anime I can think of is Paranoia Agent but I'm sure there is plenty more. I'm mostly a gamer and games can't exactly do that sort of stuff like Eva.

So I guess thats a no.
Last edited by SimplyMason0 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alpha
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Alpha » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:48 am

I dont think I've ever come across a show that make me think: "This is similar to evangelion".

The lord knows I tried to find something that had a similar impact on my interest, but to no avail. I mean, Im interested in other anime, but Evangelion was special and different. It's hard to think of other animes of its "kind".
This is what nature planned. This is nature's sacrifice.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:53 am

View Original PostAlpha wrote:The lord knows I tried to find something that had a similar impact on my interest, but to no avail.

Same.
Ergo proxy/Angel's egg has closest "Eva-feel", for me at least.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:13 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:But how do you define the "kind" of show that Evangelion is?
Exactly.

@OP
I've watched other super-robot series (Ideon, the Inspector...), and also the narrower category of other Gainax robot series which Anno directed (Gunbuster), even other "harem MC with metaphysical super-robots" anime (Asura Cryin'). I also watched several of the the usual 3deep5me titles like Lain.

OTOH, I do tend to pass by most of the popular fluff-of-the-season anime, and it's many years since I watched anything on TV (the last thing that I made an effort to go see was the BBC Gormenghast at the turn of the century).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:42 pm

The only other giant robot anime I've ever watched is Big O, which is superficially kinda like Eva in that they're both weird but Big O is about as deep as a puddle and the mysteries are all just gibberish. The fights are awesome though.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Princess Asuka
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Princess Asuka » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:55 pm

It's my first giant robot anime and it's different from my first series Sailor Moon. But, I love both Eva and Sailor Moon despite being two very different shows. I'd watch other shows like Inuyasha, Wedding Peach, Precure, Cutie Honey, etc. but they're just too long. Eva is unique and I love it.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:28 am

I watch any genre as long it's good. That said, I have to be in a certain mood for something like Eva.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:18 pm

It's the only mecha anime i ever watched and probably the only mecha anime I’ll ever watch (I just can't take mecha seriously) Although I read "Pluto".

Also Evangelion is the only military anime i ever enjoyed.
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

desunaito
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby desunaito » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:56 pm

Newbie here

Im surpriced no one saw Eureka seven as a lighter version of eva

i find code geass to be similar as well interm of the fast paced story telling

banatalie
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby banatalie » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:56 pm

I don't watch any anime at all; I've never been interested in anything that I've seen or heard about, until I heard about Eva. Someone told me about the plot and the themes and I was too interested not to try it!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:52 am

View Original Postdesunaito wrote:Im surpriced no one saw Eureka seven as a lighter version of eva
All mecha shows since 1996 have no choice but to have been influenced by Evangelion. However it's RahXephon that's Eva-lite; E7 is much more Gundam. :D
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Violet Shadow
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Violet Shadow » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:42 am

View Original Postdesunaito wrote:Im surpriced no one saw Eureka seven as a lighter version of eva
Actually it does have some EVA aspects but you can't compare Eureka 7 to NGE... the same applies to Code Geass. If you're looking for a lighter version of Eva you might watch Raxephon though.
If love can hurt then hate can surely save.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:05 am

At this point everyone here has probably heard something along the lines of "Madoka is to magical girls as NGE is to mecha".
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:36 am

^Heard it? It's pretty much common knowledge to the anime industry.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:47 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:"Madoka is to magical girls as NGE is to mecha".
Yes -- both escaped the ghetto and entered the wider culture. We shall just have to see if Madoka gets used for selling shaving products a decade from now.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:09 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:We shall just have to see if Madoka gets used for selling shaving products a decade from now.

I could see Madoka and the rest of the girls rocking chrome domes and that ridiculous Gendou laugh. :lol:
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:06 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:At this point everyone here has probably heard something along the lines of "Madoka is to magical girls as NGE is to mecha".

No, no, it goes "Madoka is the Evangelion of anime."
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”