Grindhouse of Evangelion

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

Grindhouse of Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:05 am

Throughout the years, many EVA fans (and even some detractors) have taken EVA and remixed it in many ways, ranging from AMVs, various abridged series and the infamous "Evangelion: Re-Death" fan video among others. However, what I plan to do is quite different.

Rather than just make a satirical redub of the series, I am taking a completely different approach and am going to take the entirety of all episodes of NGE (including the Director's Cut versions) and the movies and create a completely new movie with a completely new story altogether. None of the characters will have their same names, the same relationships with other characters and the same interactions. I am taking the entire thing, tossing it into a massive blender and creating what may be the most trashy, delightfully grotesque fan edit approach to the series. Think less spoof video and more the infamous Joseph Lai produced animes like Space Thunder Kids, badly dubbed 70s Kung-Fu schlock and general exploitation cinema but with the images of a beloved (and loathed) mindscrew anime.

At the moment, i'm ripping all of the sources I need, will assemble a totally new movie, will write an accompanying screenplay and will have an open casting call for voice actors for it once i'm ready.

Feel free to ask questions but right now things are in the early preliminary process so casting calls might not be happening for a while now but right now, I just wanted to get the word out on this project to generate some interest into it.
Last edited by GasmaskAvenger on Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:24 am

Do you intend to make this with a generally comical tone? I'm not entirely sure if i understand what you're intending to create.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:32 am

the humor of the project is quite a diversion from the normal abridged series/gag dub. the humor of it will exude from how it's edited and presented in the style of grindhouse films/exploitation films and not so much the actual content being blatantly funny for the sake of being funny.

I mean, there will potentially be funny moments in the overall product but it's humor is better understood if you have a good understanding of trash cinema and stuff like Space Thunder Kids as previously mentioned. Ultimately, it'll make a lot more sense when seen than described.
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:36 pm

Here's a few stills from my earliest work on it so far just to give you guys a slight idea of what it might be, sans the inevitable film damage filters that will be added in the final product.

SPOILER: Show

more work is gonna be done throughout the week on both the video and it's script. It's far from complete though so more updates will be posted as progress thrives on it.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sat May 11, 2013 10:38 am

I like the sound of this...
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Wed May 15, 2013 1:30 am

Didn't get to work on it much since the beginning of the month due to having family over but now that they're gone, i've resumed work on it full time.

Keep in mind that this is a very elaborate project and that I won't be done with it for quite some time in the foreseeable future at the moment but I will keep updating progress on it periodically.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Fri May 24, 2013 8:35 pm

here's a few more screencaps before I wind down on assembling it

auditions for voice actors shall begin sometime next month at the earliest.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Fri May 24, 2013 10:30 pm

It seriously took me a week before I recognized you, GasmaskAvenger.

Looking forward with what turns out.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:51 am

Update 11/25/2013: The project is very, very much alive but was more or less dormant for the last few months. Editing is pretty much done (though some last minute stuff is being done here and there) and all I need to do is finish the script.

I'm looking to assemble a cast of VAs for it in the next few months so I can have it done before 2014's anime conventions start happening.

But yeah, just wanted to let you all know it's still happening since I saw it's been quite a while since I last gave a status update to it.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:40 am

I'd love to do some of the voice acting. Can I volunteer?
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:14 pm

I'm totally down for VAing as Gendo. :gendo:

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:51 pm

So, this sounds like what Voltron was for GoLion

Gasmask is going all Macek on us.

It'll definitely be interesting.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:24 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:So, this sounds like what Voltron was for GoLion

Gasmask is going all Macek on us.

It'll definitely be interesting.

Finally. Someone who gets what i'm doing. That should clarify what kind of project this is for those confused with what i'm doing.

Anyways, a bit of a warning for those planning to audition:

I'm going to be making at least three versions of GoE of varying lengths and two out of the three versions will be very NSFW (as a nod to a 1973 Swedish cult film that had versions that are NSFW and versions that aren't) so if you have moral issues with sexually explicit content, please don't attend though female VAs will not be required to voice those scenes.

As for the anime cons, the shortest and most SFW of the three cuts will be screened and the first cut made readily available to download and view just to more or less recreate the years of exploitation/cult films having multiple versions floating around with some having more explicit content and others not so much.

Anyhow, looking forward to people willing to partake in this very ambitious project that's definitely showcasing my extremely twisted ideas for reworking a very familiar piece of work into something far more fucked up and stranger.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:53 pm

This is starting to sound like fun. A great deal of fun, actually. :devil:

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:50 pm

This does sound like a fun project. Let us know when the VA auditions start and what sort of voices/characterization you're looking for, and I'll probably throw my hat in the ring.
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

LegionWrex
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby LegionWrex » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:25 pm

Dude, this sounds amazing! Let me know once auditions start up. I'll defiantly sign up for this one :)
"....Bang." -Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
"Shorty?!? Can a shorty do this?!?" -Edward Elric (FMA)
"I've had many lives, many faces. But there is one face I try to forget..." -The Doctor (Doctor Who)
"So say we all!" -Admiral Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
"The only impossible is impossibility!" -Phineas Flynn (Phineas and Ferb)
"Screw you guys, I'm going home!" -Eric Cartman (South Park)

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:38 pm

Great to see the increased interest in this crazy, ambitious project around here.

As of now, I got nearly the first twenty minutes of it scripted since I edited it first and saved the dialogue creation for after the editing process. However, I also did a few more additional alterations in the footage just to make things even more strange so it's going on pretty smoothly progress wise.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:34 am

I'd be interested in seeing a script. If it's good I might be up to do some voice work.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:17 pm

^ Same here; the sooner I see a script, the sooner I'll know if I can do the project (and if it ruffles my sensibilities too badly.)

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:42 pm

As of yesterday, I have written dialogue for about 30 minutes of the whole thing.

Cast auditions are still a bit off, but if anyone is interested in doing some VA work for a trailer, just let me know.

Return to “Fan Works”