[News] 2013 News (NO POLITICS)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Bully for the saggy old men. Bl

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:40 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:It's too little, too late.

View Original Postdrinian wrote:If it were only the one-child policy causing this, why isn't female infanticide and selective abortion lower in rural areas of India, where there is no family-planning policy?

It's not of course. If I were to guess, it's likely the age-old economic pressures of not having enough food to feed a girl who won't develop quickly enough to help on the farm is the culprit.

As food production grows, and poverty becomes less of a barrier, it will diminish, as poverty in India in general has diminished.

but I can certainly understand the need for population-control policies

There is never a "need" for them. Birth rates wax and wane at their own discretion, we see looking back in history where women voluntarily had less children for a generation, then two generations next started having more, and then two generation next back to less. That people in urban centers having less children than those in rural areas is equally proof that birth rates are something that can take care of themselves, given healthy sociological conditions.

Further, having "enough resources" even if that was a concern, is not a collective issue. Rather, it's a personal one. Only families know if they have enough to feed and provide for their children, central planners have no such knowledge and generally assume (wrongly) that whatever the birth rate is currently, it will continue undaunted into the future. I say this both for those planners who say it's too high, or too low.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:08 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Denver has deployed a new police technology to capture dangerous and elusive criminals:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/denver-cops-use-smell-oscope-sniff-pot-smokers/

That sounds like something ripe for a Constitutional challenge, especially if the ordinance is as broad as the article made it appear.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:49 pm

Brittany Murphy was murdered! Murdered I say!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/18/brittany-murphy-death-poisoned_n_4296590.html
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:31 am

Guy Creates Assassination Kickstarter

“Majority support does not make a leader legitimate any more than it made slavery legitimate. With this market the great equalising forces of capitalism have the opportunity to work in politics too. One bitcoin paid is one vote closer to a veto of whatever legislation you dislike.”

It'd be funny if it wasn't for the subject matter.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:03 am

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:58 pm

Pretty big deal. EFF's page on the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement.

EFF wrote:The Trans-Pacific Partnership, or TPP, is a massive trade agreement that's being negotiated in secret by 12 countries across the Pacific. It has 29 chapters covering all kinds of regulations, and we only know what's in it based on outdated leaks and government statements.

But last week, we had a huge development. Wikileaks published one of the most controversial chapters of all: the one related to “Intellectual Property” issues. This leaked text, from August 2013, confirms long-standing suspicions about the harm the agreement's copyright enforcement provisions could do to users’ rights and a free and open Internet. This includes terms that would incentivize ISPs to police their users' activities (ISP liability) and enact criminal penalties against people for interacting and tinkering with their devices in new ways. Its monopolistic patent provisions also confirm that the TPP would have tragic implications for people's access to medicine and innovative medical procedures.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:02 pm

There have already been reports of this, and I'm pretty sure I remember a petition against it about a year ago.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:04 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/comedy/news/monty-python-reunion-surviving-members-to-reform-for-a-stage-show-8948661.html

OH MY SWEET CTHULU IN R'LYEH YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :D

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Years of dealing with seventh graders who just discovered Monty Python and the Holy Grail ruined them for me.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Atropos » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:57 pm

"You might throw your rock, hide your hand, work in the darkness 'gainst your fellow man; but as sure as God made black and white, what's done in the dark will be brought to the light..."

I had more to say, but teh Cash took over and soon it was gone.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:08 pm

Pentagon forged financial documents amid failure to manage budget.
According to those responsible for inserting the numbers into the books at the Defense Finance and Accounting Services (DFAS), military agencies failed to supply a clear monthly account of the money they spent. In a flurry of activity, DFAS would contact the appropriate personnel in order to record accurate data, but many numbers remained a mystery.

At this point, employees would be ordered to enter fake numbers, or “plugs,” that would match up accordingly with what the Treasury department expected to see.

Probably the most surprising part is that this is all being painted as a laughable act of silly incompetence rather than a criminal scandal like when Enron did it. Or maybe I shouldn't be surprised.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:15 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Pentagon forged financial documents amid failure to manage budget.

Probably the most surprising part is that this is all being painted as a laughable act of silly incompetence rather than a criminal scandal like when Enron did it. Or maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

It's not like they're going to have "Alien spaceship storage" and "hookers for foreign dictators" on their balance sheets.
the prophecy is true

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:21 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Pentagon forged financial documents amid failure to manage budget.

Enron claimed it had money it didn't have and created phony companies to keep up the masquerade, whereas the Pentagon just fiddled around with the numbers to account for money they did have and were expected to spend. These two things are not the same, nor even really similar. Laughable act of silly incompetence vs. criminal scandal is about the best way to summarize both cases.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:48 pm

Someone could siphon off a couple of hundred thousand dollars here and there and then leave accountants wondering why the numbers aren't matching up. Rather than making sure that there's no corruption, embezzlement or wasted spending, they go ahead and make the figures match, therefore hiding the loss and the wastage. That may simply be incompetence, but it's incompetence that completely obscures the loss of billions of taxpayer dollars - and that is criminal.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:01 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Someone could siphon off a couple of hundred thousand dollars here and there and then leave accountants wondering why the numbers aren't matching up. Rather than making sure that there's no corruption, embezzlement or wasted spending, they go ahead and make the figures match, therefore hiding the loss and the wastage. That may simply be incompetence, but it's incompetence that completely obscures the loss of billions of taxpayer dollars - and that is criminal.

But there is no loss. The problem isn't that the numbers didn't add up, the problem is shoddy bookkeeping. No one stole money, they just didn't keep their receipts in order. I'm not making hypotheticals here, either -- I work for the government, and I know how these things work. I guarantee you that incompetence is a thousand times more likely than fraud. That doesn't mean this isn't a problem, of course, not by a longshot. Several people will be written up over this and possibly fired. But that doesn't make this a criminal enterprise, and certainly not one on the scale of Enron. It's just bureaucratic incompetence at work.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:27 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:But there is no loss. The problem isn't that the numbers didn't add up, the problem is shoddy bookkeeping. No one stole money, they just didn't keep their receipts in order.

Not directly related, but many DoD budgetary practices definitely straddle the line of "stealing" from the people paying for these services. Independent audits have found hundreds of billions of dollars of redundancy within DoD. (And of course they can't even maintain a fax machine for FOIA requests, let alone use an Internet fax service like anyone sane).

Corporations do a lot of stupid accounting, too, but it's understandable why people get angry about the relatively little things like this when the big things are so problematic. And this is coming from someone who feels most large corporations spend too much time trying to audit every moment of their employees' time for accounting purposes.
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:35 pm

View Original Postdrinian wrote:Not directly related, but many DoD budgetary practices definitely straddle the line of "stealing" from the people paying for these services. Independent audits have found hundreds of billions of dollars of redundancy within DoD. (And of course they can't even maintain a fax machine for FOIA requests, let alone use an Internet fax service like anyone sane).

I'm not about to claim government spending is not wasteful or ill-considered; plenty of stupidity on that front. It's just not malicious or criminal, y'know? Government drones are slaves to bureaucracy and policy, for good or ill. That's a good way to waste money, but theft for personal gain? :lol: Good luck.

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:07 pm

Even if it's not malicious, it's still a crime without a culprit because it wastes billions of dollars that could be put to very good use. And who's to say how genuine fraud is being obscured by the accounting? That sort of thing has happened before. Remember, it's not just about what you've seen, it's about a colossal and byzantine system in which you're seeing a small part. What you see is just a small part of all there is.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:32 am

Prince William wants a PS4 but Kate might not let him have one

"It's very addictive," he said, as he was shown the £349.99 console that goes on sale later this month. "I'd like to get one but I'm not sure how my wife would feel about it."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[url]http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-william-fears-kate-middleton-2805410[/url]

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:38 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:Guy Creates Assassination Kickstarter

It'd be funny if it wasn't for the subject matter.

Amazing. They might have created actual value for bitcoins, if only as a limited, horrifying political statement.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”