Does Evangelion ever make you depressed?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:42 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:... sorry but I still don't have any idea who the black guy is! -o-;

Don't worry. :D I've done some research and checking, and apparently that's supposed to be this character from the Homestuck fandom named "Jake English"......I have no idea who he is either. -o-;
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:59 am

The Manga's made me a little sad before, but the series has never actually sent me spiraling into depression.

Madonna
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Madonna » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:19 pm

Does Evangelion make me depressed? To be honest I don't see how it can make anyone depressed, maybe sad, reflective, or melancholy, but depressed is too strong of a word.

I'm someone who has had to cope with depression, and several other disorders for many years and still am (although therapy is helping), depression is a real disorder and isn't something frivolous; don't get me wrong Evangelion impacted me significantly too but it didn't cause my depression nor amplified it, I think it was my mood that attracted me to Evangelion in the first place really.

I think having depression has been romanticized in certain circles, kinda annoying imho.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:02 pm

Not really.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:15 am

View Original PostMadonna wrote:Does Evangelion make me depressed? To be honest I don't see how it can make anyone depressed, maybe sad, reflective, or melancholy, but depressed is too strong of a word.

I'm someone who has had to cope with depression, and several other disorders for many years and still am (although therapy is helping), depression is a real disorder and isn't something frivolous; don't get me wrong Evangelion impacted me significantly too but it didn't cause my depression nor amplified it, I think it was my mood that attracted me to Evangelion in the first place really.

I think having depression has been romanticized in certain circles, kinda annoying imho.

Well, everyone is different of course. The show can make someone really depressed or even happy. I guess it all depends on the person watching it.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:16 pm

Not one bit. Just reflective on my thoughts is all.

Violet Shadow
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Violet Shadow » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:11 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:Well, everyone is different of course. The show can make someone really depressed or even happy. I guess it all depends on the person watching it.
I wonder how can someone be happy by watching every single bit of episode 15 onwards. I'm excluding the TV ending.
If love can hurt then hate can surely save.

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:16 pm

^

Shadenfreude...
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:24 pm

View Original PostViolet Shadow wrote:I wonder how can someone be happy by watching every single bit of episode 15 onwards. I'm excluding the TV ending.

:chinscratch: people with zero sympathy towards the characters?

Violet Shadow
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Violet Shadow » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:39 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote::chinscratch: people with zero sympathy towards the characters?
Well, then they'd better not watch it at all?

View Original PostStillborn wrote:^

Shadenfreude...

I believe it is Schadenfreude; thank you anyway. ^_^
If love can hurt then hate can surely save.

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SimplyMason0 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:48 pm

View Original PostViolet Shadow wrote:I wonder how can someone be happy by watching every single bit of episode 15 onwards. I'm excluding the TV ending.

People who really like the writing I guess out of shock at least. Or who loves trippy stuff.

I can see that happening.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:26 am

Yep.
My minor depression began in 17th of November 2012 and It lasted about 6-8 months. -o-;

It's been almost a year since that fateful day. :exalt:

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:36 am

Just a little follow up:
Since I discovered Evangelion I truly believe that it's been in fact, helping me with my
depression and many anxieties that I have. I don't know random post

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:49 am

It's pretty odd, I watched EVA, expecting a straight-forward psychological, mindfuck, dramatic show. What I got (on the first run) was a pretty good, but not amazing Mecha-show with good characters (this changed dramatically after watching it the 2. time). The weird part is, that I was pretty down for about 3 days after EoE, although I didn't care much for the characters etc. :lol:
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

Grimmjow
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grimmjow » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:54 am

When I first watched it as a teenager, it depressed me quite a bit. Nowadays I either just watch it thoughtfully or I try to make as many dumb jokes as possible, especially during EOE.

shaleen
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby shaleen » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:50 pm

I watched the original TV series about 5 years ago straight through, followed up by EoE. I watched it alone, as I don't really have any anime friends. I remember feeling pretty crushed for a few days after. I don't remember the specifics of that time, but I got over it at some point.

Fast forward to this past fall (2013). I saw a random arcade game of NGE and it reminded me how much of an impact it had on me, and that "I should watch it again." In retrospect, this may have been a mistake. I jumped back into the series, then EoE, then started the rebuilds (Just saw the English premiere of 3.0 last week). I've been feeling pretty "out of it" since seeing 3.0. I don't want to use the word "depressed" lightly, but I feel that I've experienced symptoms of mild depression over this. I've spent the last week reading all the otaku stuff I can find, trying to decipher all the meaning I can, and reading forums (like this one) but I'm not sure I'm getting any better. My mood certainly mirrors some of what some of the original posters on this thread have said. A feeling of helplessness, darkness, uncertainty, etc. I've felt no joy in doing the regular things I used to love, and have no desire to do anything except study eva. I am a rational human being who has just entered his 3rd decade of life on this planet, but yet I cannot get the saga of these fictional 14 year olds out of my daily thought process. I try to tell myself that I will feel better if I could just understand it a little more...so I read and read and now I feel like I truly understand about as much as I can; the meaning, the hidden meaning, why so and so did this and why it ended the way it did. Still doesn't change the feelings I'm having in my mind. I'm a little terrified about what the 4th rebuild movie will do to my situation if it ends anyway other than what I truly want, or think I want. Call me old fashioned, but I could go for some obvious closure...even if I know that Anno never intended that to be there.

I'll admit, it is strangely comforting to know there are at least a few of you out there that share these feelings toward the franchise. Hopefully putting my thoughts out here to the interwebs will help me move past all this. Thanks.
Just trying to make sense of it all.

Princess Asuka
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Princess Asuka » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:10 pm

Last September I decided to watch the sub and dub of Eva in a 2 week period. Afterwards I was depressed for a month, I felt confused, but yet I loved this show, having only seen Sailor Moon at that time Eva was something that I didn't know what to expect. I'm fine now, but I discovered that yes, there are happy endings, but the world is a harsh place, but it's only as bad as you make it out to be. I later watched Puella Magi Madoka Magica and I have a list of anime series I want to watch.
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Mawaru Penguindrum
Princess Tutu
Wedding Peach
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Rebuild (once Final comes out)
Also the new Sailor Moon anime.

Eva helped me try new things, grow up a little bit, and discover the real me which was hiding, she's smart, sweet, and sexy, just took awhile to get her to come out. XD

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:55 pm

Depressed? Perhaps for a bit after I finished the series, but only because I knew I'd probably never find a more enjoyable anime in my lifetime.

Many of Shinji's issues were my own when I was his age, and it certainly caused me to reflect on some harsh truths, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that NGE made me depressed.

If anything, it helped me cope.
Set phasers to thrill.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:45 pm

View Original Postshaleen wrote:I'll admit, it is strangely comforting to know there are at least a few of you out there that share these feelings toward the franchise. Hopefully putting my thoughts out here to the interwebs will help me move past all this. Thanks.

EGF is a support group for this very reason. We're all here for you, bro. :huggles:
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

shaleen
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby shaleen » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:26 pm

EGF is a support group for this very reason. We're all here for you, bro.

Exactly what i was hoping for, thank you ^_^
Just trying to make sense of it all.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”