What anime are you watching right now? May-Nov '13

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:21 pm

Yamato 2199 ep 2: GODDAMMIT Japan, JUST BECAUSE YOU STICK GIRLS IN THE SHOW DOESN'T MEAN YOU AREN'T BEING SEXIST PIGS!

cough

Sorry, give me a moment.

Okay, I'm good now. Seriously, it's annoying that female characters are introduced and then explicitly relegated to supporting roles. How is it that Anno got this right 18 fucking years ago and the rest of the industry is still struggling to catch up? Look at Q and compare it to this show: Misato, Asuka, Mari, even fucking Rei Q who doesn't even have a goddamn personality have more of a screen presence than the girls in this show. Why, Japan? Why you do this when humanity literally has less than a year to live? It makes no sense.

Also, space battleship is dumb, but that's a central conceit of the show so whatever. As I said before I'll let the hype drive me along so I can see what the show has to offer.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:01 am

I've not seen Yamato, but what you're describing doesn't sound like that big of a problem. Just because a show doesn't include the ladies very often doesn't mean it's being sexist. Do we have anything else to go on?

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:59 am

I saw the first few episodes of Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory.

Nina Purpleton :heart:

Also, Mora grows on you. Pleasingly unconventional character design.

I love this art style. (Not just talking about the character designs.) I never see anything that looks like this anymore.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:19 am

Watched Ghost Hunt again. This show never gets old. I've probably watched it five times already and it hasn't faded at all. Now if they'd only animate the rest of the series. :sigh:
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:21 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Yamato 2199 ep 2: GODDAMMIT Japan, JUST BECAUSE YOU STICK GIRLS IN THE SHOW DOESN'T MEAN YOU AREN'T BEING SEXIST PIGS!

Dude relax, you are at episode 2. I'm not much further but Rei is a good pilot and Blondie's relations seem to be of importance.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Nina Purpleton :heart:

heh

keep going :coffee:

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:18 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:New monogatari side-scrolling was pretty fucking neato.

YES! You really need to get a setup that can display the scrolling images smoothly to fully appreciate it, though. The one I used didn't have the proper codecs so it was kinda jerky, but once we fixed them it looked quite amazing.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:40 pm

I hope someone connects them all at some point.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:38 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:I hope someone connects them all at some point.

I was thinking the exact same thing while watching! It would be kinda difficult though; there are foreground and background images which move at different rates.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:35 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:heh

keep going :coffee:

:irked:

Not like I shouldn't have figured, it's Gundam after all.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:06 pm

I went into 0083 expecting to hate everyone, and I did.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:30 pm

Yamato 2199 ep 4: This one was better, but the CGI is still damned annoying. Xebec also seems to be in love with fiery explosions in this show, which is disappointing. One thing that puzzles me: if the wave motion gun is derived from the engine that allows FTL travel, why don't the Gamilans have similar weapons?

The focus on Pluto is hilarious. It's a fucking rock in the middle of nowhere, man; using it as a base of operations is just all kinds of dumb.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:16 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Nina Purpleton :heart:

top lel

Just wait for final third man

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:10 pm

A spectacular comedy of errors that spawned a multitude of memes: Dynamic Pro OVAs with HK bootleg subs!

GTFO, Tomino, I'm trying to watch Mazinger Z!

Oh my.

Excellent stuff to watch with a group of like-minded mech-heads.

Meanwhile, in Brave of the Sun Fighbird, Jung Freud O'Neil appears.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:57 pm

Chuunibyou

Okay. Somehow, I've been managing to watch one strange anime after the other, this time around. First Seitokai Yakuindomo, then Danganronpa, then Steins;Gate, now this.

It feels like a second season of Haruhi, it's just so absurd and adorable, at the same time. This is just what I needed.

The show is just so...bizarre. I feel like I'm ten years old, again, playing wizard in my mum's back yard.

I'm really loving the big sis. The Ladle of Death.

Takanashi reminds me a little of this girl I knew in high school. Very cute girl, but she was a lot like Takanashi. Awkward, occult, and just a little insane.

EDIT: THE GERMAN. OH GOD THE GRATUITOUS GERMAN.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:32 am

Golden Time ep. 5 - Koko's overreactions range from comical like the one she gave Banri after they did the Awa dance to unnecessary like the one she gave Mitsuo about the "previous lives". Why did Linda-senpai cut her hair? She looked so much better with the long flashback piece. And Banri's spirit makes it's debut here, how it will communicate with the conscious amnesiac Banri is yet to be known.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:28 pm

Finished the final 4 eps of Yamato 2199. It's been a while since I've seen something that greatlly exceeded my expectations, so going back to the original won't be easy.

There's a movie based on it coming out next year but I don't expect a sequel series.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:12 pm

Peerless Masterpiece Of Our Era

I think this was third time I saw this. That feel when this perfect piece of moe-SF-mystery-pop-art carries its massive 2h40 minute lenght with more grace than any of the bloated all time classics from Kurosawa or post-war France I watched this summer.

Also, dat feel when best girl keeps on winning. :devil:

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:16 pm

Disappearance is so great. Makes me sad there hasn't been more Haruhi.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:21 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:Disappearance is so great. Makes me sad there hasn't been more Haruhi.

Yeah, pretty much. Thankfully I have the books on my shelf, at least.

ponytails are the best.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:54 pm

Short hair Haruhi pales in comparison.

:arrow:

Return to “Old Stickies”