Are the movies another reality explored by Instrumentality?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition").
The third installment debuted in Japan on November 17, 2012.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:28 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Just because I take the show/films to have a message doesn't mean I agree with that message.

It would appear that I read something into your text that you did not intend. But you believe in Death of the Author, so do I still get to be right? :hahaha:

I hate irony. Irony is so pervasive on the internet that it has become the harbinger of a culture of total detachment out of fear of being criticized for being too involved or serious about something.

Agreed.

What's most of interest to me in all this is the twisting, relentlessly complex way Eva asks its audience, "Why do you insist on treating this work of fiction as if it is a historical document?"

Before I came to EvaGeeks I never really saw that. I still don't, when I forget the opinions of others I've read. If anything it always seemed to me like it tried harder than anything else out there to be analyzed in such a way. Whether or not it tried, it certainly succeeded, if its audience is anything to go by.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

monitoradiation
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby monitoradiation » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:48 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:What's most of interest to me in all this is the twisting, relentlessly complex way Eva asks its audience, "Why do you insist on treating this work of fiction as if it is a historical document?"

I don't really see that from Eva, but. If you are right, that's like if Picasso drew a painting that only reads "Don't get too hung up on this, it's only paint on canvas". Since I don't think anyone thinks that 2I actually happened in real life, the most you can claim is that the show says people take it too seriously.

To that I would say that people can dedicate as much time and effort as they want into the works that they enjoy, within the premise that each work is an enclosed system of self-consistent ideas. I see nothing wrong with people pouring over the RCB or CI like it's a quest for the historicity of Jesus.

So for me even if what you said about Eva is correct, there's nothing clever/meta about it ironically declaring itself to be unworthy of the reader's time in serious debate over in-universe timelines, since it's not something the author gets to pass judgement on. If the author had a problem with it, he should make the show more straightforward and have all the plotpoints get handed down.
"0" is the past, "1" is the future, but "the present" is nowhere - this is an undeniable logic.
Among the countless parallel lines, I settle on "blasphemy" as my choice.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion”