Peaceful Times... a new short film?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:05 pm

Am I the only one who isn't hyped about all this? :|

And El seriously? When Eva ever needed a reason to encrypt anything trivial, other than to make it look overly mysterious? Seriously I'm surprised that NERV toilets werent marked with Zodiac Code.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:08 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:You're a god.

Just a few lines of brute-force scripting

[code:1]let shift (c:Char) = if c >= 'a' && c < 'z' then char ((int (c)) +1) else if c = 'z' then 'a' else c
let shift' x =String(x |> Seq.map shift |> Seq.toArray)
let shift'' x = let t = shift' x; printfn "%A" t ; t
let cipher = "dmp wmsp cwcqml jw"
seq {for i in 1 .. 26 -> i} |> Seq.fold (fun x y -> shift'' x) cipher;;[/code:1]

but why the need of encrypting the thing?
Because it says "Top Secret"
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:07 pm

Do we know if that picture was just a still shot or was it animated?

Because if it was animated it might be exacly like the other screens in Q, which cycled through the previous few letters sequentially until they reach the needed one.

One tenths speed:

As far as being excited, I'm keeping mine minimal because any more would likely result in disappointment.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:26 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Just a few lines of brute-force scripting

[code:1]let shift (c:Char) = if c >= 'a' && c < 'z' then char ((int (c)) +1) else if c = 'z' then 'a' else c
let shift' x =String(x |> Seq.map shift |> Seq.toArray)
let shift'' x = let t = shift' x; printfn "%A" t ; t
let cipher = "dmp wmsp cwcqml jw"
seq {for i in 1 .. 26 -> i} |> Seq.fold (fun x y -> shift'' x) cipher;;[/code:1]

F-SHarp eh? Personally I was trained(a long time ago) with C-Sharp! What IDE do you use : Visual basic?

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Do we know if that picture was just a still shot or was it animated?

Because if it was animated it might be exacly like the other screens in Q, which cycled through the previous few letters sequentially until they reach the needed one.

One tenths speed:

As far as being excited, I'm keeping mine minimal because any more would likely result in disappointment.

When I think about it, the animation of the entry plugs's user interface are odd : the screens in in holographing displays moving along the pilot's head and eyes, yet the letters are displaying sequentially, like the letters on the board of a train station, and even have the marks of the the other letters, like more ancient digital clocks :
Asuka's EVA-02' :
[wkimg]File:Eva3-33 C0056 btb.jpg[/wkimg]

And even for EVA-13, the latest one created :

Is that something common the current holographic displays, or is it an aesthetic choice?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:51 pm

I would guess aesthetic, since there seems to be no practical purpose for it. It seems to be emulating the old neon countdowns from the 60's/70's.

Also, Tines, thank you for the decryption. Muchas gracias.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:05 pm

Pretty sure it's aesthetics.

You get tons of very purdy sequential animations and effects in all of Gainax/khara/Anno works.
-The laser cannons on the side of the ships in Gunbuster
-The blast doors closing one by one in the corridors
-The doors int he Eva catapult shaft opening one by one
-Iruel being defeated and the green blocks sweaping across the Magi to wipe out the red.

There's probably a billion more examples.

Overall I think it has to do with the fact that if something just flicks on or off it's not as interesting visually as a small sequence or routine for that. (Think of modern LCD/plasma screens turning off which just turn black vs old CRTs where you have a quick shot of the electron beam collapsing into the center) Even if it's a quick and simple animation it's still something. I don't know if Anno & Co. think of it this way, but I see it as giving even the most boring things their own henshin scene to make them more fun.

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:45 pm

So yeah, I would love it if it was just a few images of FINAL, complete with a release date. Them just coming out and saying it wont be out till 2015 is way better then just teasing us with "we don't have any idea, so where gonna leave FINAL's site blank lol".
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:51 pm

@ TMBounty_Hunter : Well, what surprised me is that this "old neon countdowns" effect was only present in Q, while the older entry plugs in Jo and Ha had neat screens displaying the information.
That's why I wondered if it wasn't a limitation of the current technological level on holographic display, after all once they manage to make a functional holographic user interface in the new models of entry plugs there would be more pressing matter than improving the image quality to make it prettier.

It could be another subtle way to show to the audience that this world as far more limited resources than the even previous post-2I one and that once a technology is working, they move tp the next urgent thing and can't afford to upgrade it until there is a real and impervious necessity.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:44 pm

I insist, has it been said that those drawings are in fact storyboards for this film?
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:55 pm

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:I insist, has it been said that those drawings are in fact storyboards for this film?

From what I understand Minna no Eva Fan blog attributes the storyboards to Maeda and Higuchi, who are co-directing this petite film.

iihieiii
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby iihieiii » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:19 pm

How to not get HYPE on this?!

Sup Mariachi :D , just read all your great ideas, and again, i just have to agreed with everything that you said.

Anything new coming from Eva series still on 2013, is just AMAZING! And maybe we can get some "time skiped" news on christmas ;P

I wish the best of luck for we all! ;P

and....Especulate people!! :tongue:

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:30 pm

If it turns out to be for Pachinko or something imma slap a bitch.

So we have (maybe) the track "Peaceful Times", a variation on the "next time" music and (maybe) a few storyboards. (Maybe) it's a preview of Final in the style of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf2mV1UAEVE

andreh
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby andreh » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:51 pm

If this is an OVA I'll be happy...

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Pretty sure it's aesthetics.

For aesthetics and to troll fans:
:bigeyes:
I do not speak English natively. If you see any error, blame my teacher or Google Translate LOL

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:39 am

Mk. 3 huh? What does it mean? A new Eva Unit?
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:57 am

^I don't get that^

edit: DISREGARD THAT, I ASPIRATE MALE CHICKENS
Last edited by Heaven Piercing Man on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:07 am

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:Mk. 3 huh? What does it mean? A new Eva Unit?

Just read the posts above yours. It's not MK.03 - the letters and numbers flip through the alphabet until the correct one appears.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:24 am

I'm gonna wait & see. I'll check back in when the short is released. Could easily be an amazing short that really ties into the Rebuild universe. OR it could be some goofy overblown advertisement for some sort of Eva product. Maybe an LCL hemroid cream.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:29 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I'm gonna wait & see. I'll check back in when the short is released. Could easily be an amazing short that really ties into the Rebuild universe. OR it could be some goofy overblown advertisement for some sort of Eva product. Maybe an LCL hemroid cream.

I'll second to that...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:42 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:OR it could be some goofy overblown advertisement for some sort of Eva product. Maybe an LCL hemroid cream.

Oh, yeah! I forgot those ads existed.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:38 am

Yeah, but make a teaser for a "film" which will be released three weeks later with mysterious wall projection... all for an ad for a goodies or an everyday Eva-themed product?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”