What anime are you watching right now? May-Nov '13

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:13 am

Rewatched Epilogue of Kara no Kyoukai today. Very pretty, but since I already know about the information shared that's about all it was. Impact is lost on rewatch. Except one thing:

SPOILER: Show
Void Shiki said that Kokutou is the one who's lonely. I don't see how that would hold true after the ending of the 7th movie.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:31 am

View Original PostJune wrote:Yamato 2199 ep.26 (end): This was a great series, I started following it back in April or May and have been eager for each release. The conclusion was better than I could've hoped for and really gave me a real emotional jolt.

Been waiting for the sub of Ep 23, which is right before the Yamato really gets into it with the Gamilans. They are coming out with a movie next year and yes the new series is standing on the shoulders of its predecessor, but it won't be easy to go back to that after 2199, which I too have enjoyed immensely and has exceeded by expectations.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Violet Shadow
Banned

Postby Violet Shadow » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:47 am

View Original PostDataprime wrote:I tried giving Kill la Kill another shot today, it just couldn't get into it. Sorry guys.
You're not the only one. ^_^
If love can hurt then hate can surely save.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:05 am

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica Movie 1: Hajimari no Monogatari The anime club just did a screening of this that I couldn't make, so I figured I'd watch both of the currently released movies this weekend. Pretty much what I expected from the first movie: a blow by blow repeat of the first half of the show with a "cliffhanger" ending. Also, having seen all the Monogatari series I couldn't help but notice Shaft's paw prints all over this thing! :lol:

There was something that I couldn't stop thinking about throughout my viewing of this movie, and I'd like to post it here to get some input. Both Madoka and Evangelion are notable, at least in my eyes, for having protagonists who react realistically (and very similarly) to the trauma which is thrust upon them. I see many parallels between Shinji's situation and Madoka's, both in events and the scale of the problems they face (e.g. being offered the power to take part in the fight to save humanity at a terrible personal cost). That said, I think it's safe to say that Shinji gets much more flak for his behavior than Madoka does. What is the main cause for this disparity? Has Shinji simply had more time than Madoka to accrue more criticism? Do his actions in the latter parts of the series or Rebuild movies bar him from sympathy more than Madoka's do her? (Honestly, people seem to call Shinji out for his whining early on in the course of events, pretty much from episode 1.) Is the audience more inclined to expect those "whiny" behaviors of Madoka rather than Shinji because of their genders/sexes? Or am I just seeing things? I'm not too sure myself at this point. What do you guys think?
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:13 am

Wah, Yamato is over? Why did nobody tell me, now I can finally watch it.

DIRTY PAIR

Over the course of several weeks I had the pleasure to watch every single entry, except for Flash, which I won't bother with because reasons. Surprisingly enough, there is not much to say about it. The tv series and OVA are as Saturday morning cartoon as it gets and will play out exactly in the following order

1.) they reluctantly accept a mission
2.) they visit a new planet
3.) hijinks ensure while they lay a trace of havoc behind them

This isn't necessarily bad, the series has definitely its moments but considering the lenght of combined 36 episodes, this formula is not exactly thrilling either. There is no bigger goal, no overarching plot, no reoccurring villain that could mix things up or make it more interesting for a change, and the humor can be quite skewed sometimes. For example, they will risk their lifes to save innocent people from danger in one episode and then blow up an entire planet together with its population by accidently pressing a button and the series will play it for laughs. There is little backstory (I still don't know what the fuck is up with the mascot that looks like the lovechild of a cat and a bear and sounds like a dying parrot) and general speaking you could easily watch any episode out of order without missing anything.

That said, the entertainment of the franchise lies solely on its explosive duo, Kei and Yuri, whose personalities consists most notably by seducing innocent men and destroying everything around them. The voice acting is endearing and despite the constant banter their teamwork is impressive and will always get the job done - more or less.

Dirty Pair was hugely influenced of western media such as James Bond, Terminator, Aliens, Star Trek and became immensly popular back in the day, taking first place one-eighth of the over 10,000 viewer votes putting it even ahead of Zeta Gundam which lead to two bigger OVA and one movie...

exactly what it looks like

one of them is Affair of Nolandia, which is the low point of Dirty Pair, with all kinds of weird nonsense like trippy tentacle rape dreams. Nothing makes really sense or is explained and the visual style made it look very out of touch with the rest of the series.

The other OVA was Flight 005 Conspiracy, my personal favorite Dirty Pair related material that followed a suspenseful spy/police thriller and had a more darker, serious tone to it.

And then there is the Movie Project E.D.E.N. which is good but I don't get the praise of it to be honest. Having seen everything, this did not stand out in a particular way other than an awesome 007 opening and half of it consisting of montages. However what the movie is good in is being as Dirty Pair as possible by filling one and a half hour with tomfoolery and explosions. For everyone who is interested in the franchise, I'd say, spare yourself everything else, watch this and you will exactly get what Dirty Pair is about.

Sadly, time hasn't been kind to the Lovely Angels however all in all it was still a moderately entertaining sci-fi nostalgia trip to the proto Panty & Stocking days and I will always love me some ass-kicking 80s chicks.

Verdict: ROSHIAN ROSHIAN RUURETTO

View Original PostDataprime wrote:I tried giving Kill la Kill another shot today, it just couldn't get into it. Sorry guys.

No shame. It's not something for everyone.

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:You know, sooner or later I'm going to see something from the mind of this Tomino fellow. I'd probably prefer to see Ideon over say, the Mobile Suit Gundam films.

Why

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:54 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:You know, sooner or later I'm going to see something from the mind of this Tomino fellow. I'd probably prefer to see Ideon over say, the Mobile Suit Gundam films.

View Original PostFireball wrote:Why

I am interested in the influence that the Ideon works had on Anno's approach for arranging Neon Genesis Evangelion, and by association any specific strong or weak points of the work that offer new perspectives about other works that I am familiar with. It's also worth noting that a few of the series I have seen I have primary sought out to see if there is anything about it I can spend some time thinking about / mulling over, etc.

At the moment the Mobile Suit Gundam films and the series are the only other work(s) by Tomino that I have on my to-watch list. I offered the films as it has been discussed before that these are probably the best entry point for newcomers to the Gundam franchise - only I am uncertain if those are going to offer the sort of science fiction narrative that I am curious to see if Ideon is. If I find I enjoy the Ideon films, I'll read up more closely on Mobile Suit Gundam films and other Tomino works to clarify if there are any others I could appreciate. For the moment, the occasional Gundam post in this thread and the occasional looksie into the Gundum thread have not convinced me that the films or the original series are works I should see sooner rather than later.

I would have appreciated it if you offered a little more in your question other than its single word - you could have included why you feel that one should see the Gundam films instead of Ideon (if one had to choose) - but hey, you thought I should offer some elaboration, and there it is.
Voluntary Illusion.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:26 am

I saw the first 6 episodes of Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Does it end right where the first movie does, and how similar are they?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:31 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:I am interested in the influence that the Ideon works had on Anno's approach for arranging Neon Genesis Evangelion (snip)

Tomino is known for Gundam first and foremost and it is still widely regarded as his best work. It has the right amount of Tomino-esque that embodies his writing style that I would describe as "brutal but fair". His other works tend to either swing to the happy loopy side or please kill me gloominess with erratic narrative in both cases. I haven't seen Ideon yet but from all I've heard it is not exactly a stellar piece of fiction with the exception of an infamous ending, though I can totally understand being interested in it because of the influence it had on Eva. I don't want to tell you what to watch, but in my opinion, before you get the wrong impression of the man, watch Mobile Suit Gundam first if not alone for being a classic.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:53 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:Tomino is known for Gundam first and foremost and it is still widely regarded as his best work. It has the right amount of Tomino that embodies his writing style that I would describe as "brutal but fair". [snip] in my opinion, before you get the wrong impression of the man, watch Mobile Suit Gundam first if not alone for being a classic.

A fair point - and sensible to go to it first if it precedes the (apparently divisive) Ideon. So I've added a note next to Ideon to see the Mobile Suit Gundam films beforehand. I appreciate your input on this.

*retreats from computer for another night*
Voluntary Illusion.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:53 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I saw the first 6 episodes of Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Does it end right where the first movie does, and how similar are they?
AFAIK movie #1 is the first 8 episodes edited down.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Paranoid
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Paranoid » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:20 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:AFAIK movie #1 is the first 8 episodes edited down.

Correct.
I like food.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy their fate be granted glory."-Edel, Princess Tutu

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:21 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:DIRTY PAIR
Nice review. Shameless plug

That said, Dirty Pair isn't a show that is designed around an overarching plot or significant character development, anyway. It's basically like a sexualized, sci-fi action version of K-On in space with a smaller cast. And it works because Kei & Yuri probably have a higher bodycount behind the two of them than half of the rest of the genre combined.

Also, the OVA series is something of bigger beast than the TV show, if only because the animation's better and the episodes are longer. Which means you get to see more of Yuri's thighs and Kei's hair, and in better quality.

@EvangelionFan: Ideon blows. I made the same mistake you were about to make. Just avoid Ideon; watch the films only if you seriously have absolutely nothing better to do for a few hours.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:14 pm

I watched Ideon while it was being subbed, and drip-fed like that, the rather formulaic nature of the episodes didn't seem so bad. When I watched Gundam later, that was the one that felt a lot more like a series of toy commercials.

Having started on the Adam Warren/Toren Smith comic out of Dark Horse, Dirty Pair Flash was the first anime iteration I could lay my hands on; for some reason those and not the other OVAs got a UK release about a decade back. Redesign aside, the two extended (half dozen episode) stories are decent entries into the girls guns and mass destruction canon, the isolated episodes rather less so.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:47 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Yes, that sounds like Ideon alright. But here's the shocking thing you realize after watching retarded amounts of 1970s and 80s mecha schlock: Tomino may cram his shows full of pointless robot action, but in terms of quality, his robot action is usually miles ahead of competition. Godmars is one example I like to bring up over and over again. At least the titular robot in Ideon got to punch and kick things and light the night on fire with rudimentary Itano circuses. Godmars had an "I win" button installed on its dashboard, with predictably boring results.

I'm not really surprised by this knowledge despite my lesser experience in mecha schlock of yesteryear and in fact I have considered Tomino always a good director for mecha action. The new fight clips in Zeta Gundam films might've mixed poorly with old 80s animation but those clips themselves were really good. Hell, even Wings of Rean had pretty nice action choreography and high animation standards.

Of course competition sucking even more doesn't per se justify much but I've long considered how great deal of these issues might just be something Tomino couldn't avoid in doing "toy commercials" for the era. For example I can imagine Clover throwing hissyfit if their weekly commercial aired on television WITHOUT any actual robot action aka marketing for their products appearing. So rather than fundamental creative limitation to using clear pattern the onslaught of repetition and filler fights in Tomino mecha series or even Takahashi's Votoms (haven't seen else by him so can't comment) had more to do with constraints of the era's production. It's no secret some of the so-called "LOLTOMINO" incidents are sponsor fault like some of the retarded tyre stuff in Victory Gundam or making 4th episode inexplicably the first one in Victory Gundam.

There are however things that make me see these issues as Tomino's shortcomings as creator rathen than (just) tough conditions he had to work in. Most tellingly even if such strict loyalty to formula was expected in mecha anime of yesteryear this has not been case in a long while - clearly so at latest since mid90s (Evangelion, Escaflowne). SDF Macross already in 1982 apparently had enough leeway to not have mecha action in every episode (eg. eps 4 and 5) and certainly it wasn't usually as formulaic as some of its contemporaries. Despite examples like this even Tomino's newest offerings deviate little from the mold with 2002's Overman King Gainer getting heavily criticized for exactly this trope. So I don't think I'm being too harsh with my criticisms of filler combat in Ideon because it isn't unavoidable condition for mecha anime.

Anyway, to return to action in Ideon in particular after mid-20s it becomes mainly question of filler and occasional wtf illogicality (like the whole bomb setup deal in ep 36) for me. The quality of action becomes much better around then and closer to good Gundam quality. Itano's increased presence helps but more than that Ideon's much larger range of weapons to use and stronger enemy units are main reason. So it's not like series had to stuck to swatting planes with fists for 20 odd episodes. I know I'm not entirely alone feeling Ideon's action for longest while is boring because I've seen guys who liked the series more than I did and who generally don't mind oozes of mecha action on expense of everything else call Ideon's action boring for a long while.

Be Invoked has good action like I said, of course. Stakes are high, people keep on dying (:lol:) and it of course inherits strenghts from tv series final third. On top of these it also has superior animation quality to flaunt so I enjoyed Ideon's beam/missilespam and wave motion gun dickery a lot.

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Which one? Because there were several.

I'm pretty sure he's referring one I linked in review.

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:Did Xard ever review Char's Counterattack? Does he have an archive of his reviews somewhere?

I don't think I ever wrote review for it. Trying to get me start blog, are you?

View Original PostJune wrote:The conclusion was better than I could've hoped for and really gave me a real emotional jolt.
Yamato, Omedetou! :salute:

That's what happens when anime follows closely the ending from superior seventies :tongue:

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:You know, sooner or later I'm going to see something from the mind of this Tomino fellow. I'd probably prefer to see Ideon over say, the Mobile Suit Gundam films. I do recall reading mixed responses to Ideon before, but your post - and your critical eye - has certainly brought a few things to my attention, notably that as per your recommend I do feel I'd be better off seeing Ideon: A Contact so I can proceed more quickly to Be Invoked. Your post on this was a good read, and much appreciated.

Unless you really want the whole story I'd reckon it's the better option. I watched Ideon compilation films years ago and was pretty satisfied with that untill now. Sure, A Contact has its typical compilation film issues but between two bitter pills time commitment alone is pretty good guidepost to use when making choice.

Having said that I agree with Fireball. If you're going to watch Tomino go for Mobile Suit Gundam. All of Tomino's best work is in the franchise - granted my non-Gundam Tomino picks have been extraordinarily poor so far, Ideon excluded I have only seen Garzey's Wing and Wings of Rean in full. :hahaha:

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:I have this series on my list, but I haven't heard from anybody else around here about it lately. I feel I'm probably better off drawing out an earlier Yamato title for a sampler.

I was waiting for it to end so I could marathon the remaining episodes.

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:What do you guys think?

I don't think the two cases are all that similar beyond superficial similarities. Shinji arguably has something of a duty due to his unique position whereas Madoka doesn't. Not only that even without Madoka's effort Witches don't represent direct thread on mankind's survival. Last but definetly not least piloting Evangelion isn't even remotely as faustian deal as becoming magical girl in Madokaverse is and definetly doesn't ask for as radical sacrifices.

Last but not least there's big difference in personalities and motivations. Madoka gets frustrated when she wants to become MS at least 2-3 times (usually by Homura) and on top of that she hangs around helping her friends even entirely powerless through the whole time.

To top it all of Madoka never makes morally questionable choices like Shinji is prone to.

Also watch series instead of films. It's like 1 hour bigger time investment but works better that way with the intended pacing and all.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I watched Ideon while it was being subbed, and drip-fed like that, the rather formulaic nature of the episodes didn't seem so bad. When I watched Gundam later, that was the one that felt a lot more like a series of toy commercials.

I'd say that has all to do with how you watched it. In toy commercialness they may be equal (and Gundam far more succesful thanks to having designs that don't suck hard) but beyond that there's more variety and depth in Gundam, cast and world both.

Speaking of Ideon's subs they alternated between serviceable and terrible. I can't believe the sort of elementary mistranslations that made it on screen with not dismissable rate. To use famous example:

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:14 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Also watch series instead of films. It's like 1 hour bigger time investment but works better that way with the intended pacing and all.

I have seen the series, although it was almost two years ago at this point. Seeing it all concentrated made some things pop out, I guess.

Thanks for the response. That definitely helped put things into perspective.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:29 pm

Rose of Versailles: What a great journey this was. Everyday I waited impatiently to watch the next episode of this anime. Oh yes, there was no greater joy than seeing romance bloom as Oscar grew closer to Antoinette and-

Wait, that didn´t happen. Shit.

---

Story: Rose of Versailles has this never ending feeling of doom and disgrace just waiting to happen. The female narrator doesn´t help with her constant reminder that the French Revolution is going to happen soon. This made me feel like the revolution could happen anytime, even tough it only really starts in episode 36 or so. A final note: time skips are very random, 1, 2, 3 years go by and you barely notice it. It was a bit annoying.

It´s interesting to see the story progress. The relationship betwen Oscar and Antoinette that had center place in in the begining starts to give place to "Ugh, the people are hungry" and the ridiculous fights for power and prestige in the Versailles tranform into "Ya know, the population is getting kind of dangerous".

Characters: Anyway, most characters are well developed, even those that we don´t get to know look like they exist beyond what is shown. Talking about the main characters, Antoinette gave me mixed feelings. The other characters kept saying:

"Oh, she so preeety!" "I have never seen a person with such amazing posture and honour" and so on...

I mean, yeah, she´s nice, but goddamn, she could be really stuborn sometimes. It´s a miracle the nobles didn´t get sick of her sooner.

Music: Get ready to hear the same songs 10 times per episode. Fortunatly, the soundtrack is good, so it should be bearable.

Animation: It does it´s job.

The ending:
Damn, this was sad. I knew André was toast because I accidentaly spoiled myself but I wasn´t expecting Oscar to die.

Damnit Oscar, I was planing to make you my waifu. I can´t do that if you are dead!

Huh, it feels weird to hide spoilers for a anime from 1979-1980
---

So yeah, The anime was excelent. You should watch it... or not, it´s your choice.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:33 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:I don't think I ever wrote review for it. Trying to get me start blog, are you?
Seems I'm imagining things.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:41 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Nice review. Shameless plug

Likewise. Enjoyed yours too.

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:Rose of Versailles

Fabulous stuff

Yamato 2199

full speed ahead!

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:43 pm

Just finished the original Kyousougiga ONA and its later 5-part ONA series, real great stuff. Now I can finally allow myself to watch the current tv series, which I'm happy to know has the same awesome ED as the original ONA.
Last edited by Redtophat on Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:44 pm

You know, this feels weird to say when i'm right in the beggining of Island arc (to be fair this is something i've been feeling as early as episode 13-14 or so) but i've been wondering if i might be starting to prefer Nadia to NGE. On purely objective grounds i think NGE is unquestionably superior but there's just something about Nadia i... "feel" more strongly than in NGE. Don't know, maybe it's because i haven't seen NGE in a while and Nadia is the most recent Anno thing i'm seeing.

This was a kid's show btw

Also, lolQ:

"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Return to “Old Stickies”