[News] 2013 News (NO POLITICS)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:17 pm

^Ironically, in the show's continuity natural disasters and the like are caused by the Witch monsters, which are invisible to normal humans. For example, Walpurgis Night's attack is referred to as being a hurricane in the human news when actually it's a giant Witch.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:08 am

View Original PostParanoid wrote:This happened just as most showings for the third Madoka movie started.
It's 2011 all over again. Clearly the gods hate this show.

Clearly they're angry because it advocates a faith alternative to their own. It's common knowledge that gods gain their power from their worshipers, so every new member of the Church of Madokami means they become weaker. Soon they shall fall from heaven as mortals, and thus Madokami shall reign supreme in the stars.

:evillaugh:
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:34 am

View Original PostDataprime wrote:Japanese authorities warned of an imminent tsunami just over three feet high for the Fukushima region after a major earthquake off the country's coast.

Three feet? Does it even count as a tsunami?

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:03 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:Clearly they're angry because it advocates a faith alternative to their own. It's common knowledge that gods gain their power from their worshipers, so every new member of the Church of Madokami means they become weaker. Soon they shall fall from heaven as mortals, and thus Madokami shall reign supreme in the stars.

:evillaugh:

Either that or Urobuchi has accidentally summoned Walpurgis Night through the accumulated despair of fictional characters.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:07 am

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:Three feet? Does it even count as a tsunami?

Think volume, not height. When you consider that an entire portion of the ocean has raised that much and that it's going at speeds up to 500 mph, it becomes a lot more damaging. The huge surges come as the depth gets shallower and shallower.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:39 am

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:Three feet? Does it even count as a tsunami?

You doubt the power of water. Water will happily slice through rock moving at only a couple dozen metres per second.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby KingXanaduu » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:00 pm

"Japanese media is reporting that Hayao Miyazaki went to a cardiovascular specialty hospital last week due to a heart condition. The famed animation director announced his retirement from feature filmmaking last month."

[url]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-24/magazine/hayao-miyazaki-visiting-hospital-for-heart-condition[/url]

I don't like the sound of this guys. :(
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:08 am

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:14 am

:headscratch: That is not what that link points to as of the time of this posting.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:07 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:School car wash fund raisers halted on environmental grounds.

Cut and paste failure with URL Fixed

:facepalm: Only in California. I am terribly disappointed.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:43 am

Japan, Finland and Netherlands top rankings in OECD's Survey of Adult Skills 2013, U.S "skill shortage" blamed on employers and full study is avalaible on OECD page.
Literacy for people aged 16-24

1 Finland
2 Japan
3 South Korea
4 Netherlands
5 Estonia
6 Australia
7 Sweden
8 Poland
9 Czech Republic
10 Germany

Literacy for all adults

1 Japan
2 Finland
3 Netherlands
4 Sweden
5 Australia
6 Norway
7 Estonia
8 Slovak Republic
9 Flanders (Belgium)
10 Canada

Numeracy for people aged 16-24

1 Netherlands
2 Finland
3 Japan
4 Flanders (Belgium)
5 South Korea
6 Austria
7 Estonia
8 Sweden
9 Czech Republic
10 Slovak Republic

Numeracy for all adults

1 Japan
2 Finland
3 Sweden
4 Netherlands
5 Norway
6 Denmark
7 Slovak Republic
8 Flanders (Belgium)
9 Czech Republic
10 Austria

Sasuga power of communism.

Going by WSJ murrican older generations have warrant to go "kids these days" over my generation whereas Japanese working culture - surprise! - hampers application of high skills they possess.

WSJ wrote:As a result, the U.S. share of highly skilled workers has fallen to 28% in the 16-24 age group from 42% in the 55-65 age group.

"In the U.S., the older generation was one of the most highly skilled, but the younger generation does worse than average," said Mr. Schleicher.

However, both the U.S. and the U.K. are exceptionally good at ensuring that workers' skills are fully exploited, ensuring that their respective skills deficits don't translate into a growth gap with other leading economies.

"The U.S. and England are very good at extracting the maximum out of their higher skilled worker force," said Mr. Schleicher.

By contrast, Japanese workers are the most skilled in the 24-nation survey, but don't fully employ many of those skills, particularly because they are denied the opportunity to use their problem-solving abilities in what the OECD calls a "technology environment."

The OECD attributes that to the relative inflexibility of Japan's job markets. It does suggest that if Japan were able to fully use its workers' skills, it could generate higher rates of economic growth, having long stagnated.

CNN wrote:
The study also highlighted the skills gap between older and younger workers. Workers 55 and older scored well enough to raise the overall U.S. ranking, offsetting the poor showing of 16 to 25-year-old Americans. Young Americans scored the lowest among their counterparts across all of the countries surveyed.

shameful dispray.

Also:

WSJ wrote:But according to the OECD, Italy ranks bottom, and Spain second-to-last among the 24 countries in literacy skills. Over one in five adults in both countries can't read as well as a 10-year-old child would be expected to in most education systems.

wtf

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:28 pm

Xard wrote:Italy being Italy

:asuka_stare: :rei_meh: :asuka_stare: :rei_meh: :asuka_stare: :rei_meh:
:shinchair: :fuyu_facepalm: :shinchair: :fuyu_facepalm: :shinchair: :fuyu_facepalm:

Pull yourself together, country of my forefathers! You're failing at almost everything these days....

Though to be fair, a lot of Italian adults my father's age barely have middle school education. Most of them quit at that point to pursue a trade, especially in the less industrialized regions in the south. Many of the elderly speak almost exclusively in their local dialect.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:51 pm

[quote="View Original PostXard":2svlqq6p][/quote:2svlqq6p]
Finland, master race. :3

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:52 pm

The Price is Right Welcomes Back Barker For 90th Birthday

Barker's pre-taped, one-day appearance will air on his birthday, Dec. 12, during a weeklong tribute (Dec. 9-13) to the animal rights crusader.

AWWWWWW.YEA!

[url]http://www.tvguide.com/News/Kecks-Exclusives-Price-Right-Bob-Barker-Birthday-1072645.aspx[/url]

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:43 pm

System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:12 pm

^
It sounds like they just stopped trying to make the old equations make any kind of sense, and in the process it became completely abstract but also much simpler. Nifty.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:17 am

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/28/us-china-tiananmen-idUSBRE99R05F20131028

Crazies drive car into the square, plowing through crowds, killing 5, before setting the vehicle on fire.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:58 am

This looks insanely cool. I'll have to read up on it more when I have free time.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:23 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/28/us-china-tiananmen-idUSBRE99R05F20131028

Crazies drive car into the square, plowing through crowds, killing 5, before setting the vehicle on fire.

So is that a statement against the government, or foreigners? Do the Chinese even go there for purposes other than protesting anymore? I'd think the place is soaked in bad juju.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:39 am

Woman Takes It Upon Herself To Hand Out Letters To “Obese” Trick-Or-Treaters

“I just want to send a message to the parents of kids that are really overweight…” she told Y94 morning radio, via ValleyNewsLive.com. “I think it’s just really irresponsible of parents to send them out looking for free candy just ’cause all the other kids are doing it.”
“I’m contributing to their health problems and really, their kids are everybody’s kids. It’s a whole village,” she adds.

[url]http://consumerist.com/2013/10/30/woman-takes-it-upon-herself-to-hand-out-letters-to-obese-trick-or-treaters/[/url]

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”