[News] 2013 News (NO POLITICS)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:26 am

Hmm - there's no separate technical news thread here, is there, so...

Oh hey, another major corporation gets its customer information stolen on-line:

[url]http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2013/10/important-customer-security-announcement.html[/url]
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:02 am

Yeah, I was dealing with that over the weekend. They asure me that my account was not compormised but that I should change my password anyway. makes sense.

On a somewhat related note, I got a weird job offer a few days ago, super vague. Granted it isn't entirely unusual in my line of work to get offers out of the blue with a vague description until I sign an NDA (magazines don't want to advertise just how 'shopped the models are, etc) but this one was SUPER vague. When they got back to me with more information though it was clear this was not a typical client; the 'offer' was for me to take a percentage in exchange for receiving and redistributing money of unknown origin though my business to 'overseas clients' via wire transfer. Yeah, not suspicious at all... it's only guaranteed to be illegal and who the hell knows what these asshats are into, so I got the fun of filling out a report to IC3 to cover my ass.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:18 am

NemZ : That's some of the most WTF stuff I've heard in a while.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby BiQ » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:04 pm

Not school shooting, but school knifing in Finland... Well, no one died at least.

The perp was 16, four victims are (could be) 15 to 21, the oldest one being a civil service guy doing janitor duty, others are female students. Victims have serious injuries (stab wounds in torso) but it seems they are all going to survive.

According to other students, it's the 'usual' story of bullied kid going amok. He actually made a threat of shootout in February, and police questioned him as his family, finding no guns. No idea how much mental health counseling he received after that. Seemingly not much, or not very good.
The art of being grown up, the dirty little secret nobody lets on about, is that it's all about getting comfortable with acting the part, and reaching that point where you stop giving a fuck, and do stuff that needs to be done, because it just needs doing, and ain't nobody else going to do it for you. -Mr. Tines

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:07 pm

USA USA USA US-

oh.

Winland is winning once again.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:29 pm

Damn. A school shooting is still way worse but it takes a lot of resolve to go around stabbing multiple people.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:30 pm

View Original PostBiQ wrote:Not school shooting, but school knifing in Finland... Well, no one died at least.

They should make every knife illegal in Finn! Joking

Also, I'm still expecting another school shooting at some point. I hope my predictions won't come true.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:36 pm

Of course it will happen again. Guns are common enough in Finland as is and cultural mindset for it has been set since first asshole in Jokela back in 2007 copied american precedents. I've been positively surprised (and happy with police effectiveness) there hasn't been any in last couple of years.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:45 pm

Yeah.
If events similar to Kauhajoki and Jokela ever happen again, i hope that the shooter(s) would be nice enough to....Shoot nobody.....

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:35 pm

Horrible, just horrible. Why the hell did nobody give that kid help before he went berserk?

Also from what I know, stabbing sprees of this sort are disturbingly frequent in China and Japan.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:51 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Horrible, just horrible. Why the hell did nobody give that kid help before he went berserk?

I would imagine because nobody actually gives a shit until something terrible happens. They don't want to deal with it and they don't think they'll actually shoot up a school. That, or people simply fail to recognize the signs.

Although, I do think I'm an exception, in this regard, I was sent to the school psych, a lot, as a kid. Mostly for being really standoffish and having a habit of talking to myself. There were rumours going around, after a while, that I knew how to build explosives. Mix that with appearing to be the stereotypical quiet, standoffish, talks-to-self sociopath, and people will begin to fear you and be overly nice or completely avoid you. It wasn't fun. After I was put on a little dosage of medication (Risperidone, which I am now off, thankfully), things got better, but there was always this air of "this kid's dangerous", going around.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:02 pm

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/115134/gop-death-watch-final-days-republican-party

Well, I guess RINO now has two meanings...

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:06 pm

View Original Postarkiel wrote:http://www.newrepublic.com/article/115134/gop-death-watch-final-days-republican-party

Well, I guess RINO now has two meanings...

You just can't help yourself can you?
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:12 am

What part of NO POLITICS is it exactly that is so hard to understand?

Is it the NO? I'm guessing it's the NO.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:20 am

Also, opinion pieces aren't news.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:49 pm

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:46 pm

Nah, using a torch to cut into a safe is pretty reasonable as far as such things go. They had no way of knowing there were fireworks inside, did they?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:53 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:What part of NO POLITICS is it exactly that is so hard to understand?

Is it the NO? I'm guessing it's the NO.

So we just can't mention any political parties at all, for any reason, even if its just to point out that a particular group of people have started using a term very similar to this fandom's Rei-In-Name-Only trope? Sheer madness.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InNameOnly
Is it tropes you hate?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:44 pm

The term "Republican In Name Only" has been in use for years.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:53 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The term "Republican In Name Only" has been in use for years.

Indeed, it's what inspired the local version if I'm remembering right.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”