[News] 2013 News (NO POLITICS)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:36 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:The 2nd google result: http://swampland.time.com/2013/09/29/explaining-the-shutdown-to-your-kids/

Thanks, that's a ridiculously simple explanation. The whole situation seems so...childish...for everyone involved. NPR should be interesting, tomorrow.

I suppose I should've asked my new legos a couple weeks ago.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:05 pm

Can anyone articulate a rationale for the shutdown that doesn't involve Republicans being a bunch of prissy stupid fuckers trying to double-dip for purely ideological reasons and fucking over a huge swath of government employees in the process? I ask this on the assumption that it isn't POLITICS to ask for an objective assessment of a subjectively insane act by a large group of people that happen to all be members of the same political party.

If October 9 comes and goes without a resolution (not many people seem to think this is likely), the VA shuts down and the 168 hours I need to pass my externship start piling up. FML

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:11 pm

From what I understand, this came about because the Democrats and the Republicans could not agree on the budget by the deadline. Because of this, the government cannot pay for anything (except "essential" departments: the military, the weather service, Congress itself, and a few others) because it has no budget. As I understand it, it's like you not getting a paycheck because the accounting department screwed up.

Basically what happened was we had two petulant children refusing to work with one another and, in the process, shut down the government of one the single most powerful nations on earth.

More or less something like this.
10 Republicans: DEFUND OBAMACARE
20 Democrats: NO!
30 GOTO 10

I hope that didn't come across as "too partisan". Personally speaking, I'm not a fan of either party.
Last edited by Catamari on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:25 pm

I have lived with state-funded medical care for the whole of my not inconsiderable life. It has saved my life multiple times (TB, cancer, heart attack). The idea that any people are prepared to shut down a government in protest at the early steps towards such a facility just makes me shake my head in disbelief.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:44 pm

Oh boy, I sure can't wait to check out the news on Evageeks where politics aren't allowed so I wont be constantly seeing insults thrown at my party! I can tell this is going to be grea-

Republicans being a bunch of prissy stupid fuckers trying to double-dip for purely ideological reasons and fucking over a huge swath of government employees in the process?

Nowhere is safe....
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:05 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Nowhere is safe....

Your party's been hijacked. Either get out of Dodge or do something about it, but don't expect people to be okay with that shit (particularly when it gets them furloughed or working for no pay).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:08 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I have lived with state-funded medical care for the whole of my not inconsiderable life. It has saved my life multiple times (TB, cancer, heart attack). The idea that any people are prepared to shut down a government in protest at the early steps towards such a facility just makes me shake my head in disbelief.

Yup. This is perhaps the one respect in which USA tends to come off as horribly backwaters to europeand and I'm no exception. Reading posts like this never fails to shock me even without fucknuttery that is going down for a change.

At the risk of sounding hypocritical I do need remind everyone here of the no politics rule. The initial question by Catamari and answering it is agreeable but we're slipping into purely political comments without just neutrally explaining whys and hows or contributing to topic with genuine news.

Well, this might seem politically charged to some but I was amused and occasionally surprised by results of Reader's Digest "The most and least honest cities" test.

Funny that I've always felt like Helsinki is ruder and colder than most other cities here (capital thing I guess) but based on this they're veritable saints. I was also positively surprised by how New York fared.

PIGS though... what the fuck, Portugal? What the fuck?

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:37 pm

Mumbai came second, and that's good to see. If the experiment had been repeated in another Indian city - Delhi, for instance - it would have fallen in one of the two lower categories for sure.

Although it's very much a NO POLITICS rule in effect, we've created threads on controversial topics before to let people vent. If things got too heated, we just locked them.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:23 am

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:32 am

I don't see anything funny about their predicament. :irked:
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:39 am

View Original PostXard wrote:
PIGS though... what the fuck, Portugal? What the fuck?

Wow, everybody hates us. Lisboa is the least honest city AND we are pigs? I mean, nobody takes any of that crap seriously but still...

Screw those guys.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:51 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:I don't see anything funny about their predicament. :irked:
I giggled when I read about the vegan that couldn't eat prison food. The guy without a gallbladder, less funny. How do you get ahold of a boat and scale an oil derrick (allegedly) without also thinking ahead to the third world hellhole your ass will get hauled to if you get caught?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:08 pm

Good news for those who fly a lot: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/10/faa-panel-wi-fi-is-safe-on-planes-even-during-takeoff-and-landing/

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:11 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Good news for those who fly a lot: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/10/faa-panel-wi-fi-is-safe-on-planes-even-during-takeoff-and-landing/

Oh wow, common sense at last. Quick, put these guys in Congress!
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:16 pm

:jawdrop:

...It... It finally happened...
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Budgets and Planes. B/

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:05 am

View Original PostCatamari wrote:From what I understand, this came about because the Democrats and the Republicans could not agree on the budget by the deadline.

Not a budget, a CR. And yes, this is an important distinction. A CR is just a "continuing resolution" that extends spending authorized in the last successfully passed budget (2009), and whatever modest expenditures they've managed to throw on top since. If we had been passing budgets year after year, neither the shut down, nor the debt ceiling would be an issue. At least, not short-term.

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Good news for those who fly a lot: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/10/faa-panel-wi-fi-is-safe-on-planes-even-during-takeoff-and-landing/

Ah, the FAA has been in rather top form lately. With this, and their recognition to regulate sub-orbital craft separately from either spacecraft or aircraft (Aircraft = horizontal, Spacecraft = Vertical Sub-orbit = 45 degrees), they may just be where they need to be usher in the next iteration of the Aerospace industry. Now if only we could start seeing NextGen before it becomes "the gen before last".
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

nervshatter
Banned

Postby nervshatter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:53 pm

Hornets gone wild in China.

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/03/world/asia/hornet-attack-china/index.html?sr=fb100313hornetchina10a[/url]

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:08 pm

U.S attacks Al-Shabaab in Somalia

USA USA USA!

I actually don't mind this strike at all. If anything I wish they were succesful.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:28 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:U.S attacks Al-Shabaab in Somalia

USA USA USA!

I actually don't mind this strike at all. If anything I wish they were succesful.

Been waiting for something like that. Wish they had just sent in some drones and flattened the place.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

... I don't get it. Bl

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:32 am

Park Service closes Florida Bay.

Because of the funding lapse, the Small Business Administration will only fund emergency loans, which means loans now in the works have come to a halt.

“Anybody who’s been waiting for a loan closing can’t close their loans because the bank isn’t closing without the SBA guarantee,

Oh so that's what they do... but, why?
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”