Was 3.0 shown in 4k digital in theaters? (Answer: No)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Clover
Leliel
Leliel

Was 3.0 shown in 4k digital in theaters? (Answer: No)

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:08 pm

[Title changed from "A question for those who saw it in theaters". - Monk]

Was 3.0 shown in 4k digital?

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Don't know but I have no complaints with the visual side. I saw it here: http://www.newpeopleworld.com/films/films-8-2013/
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:25 pm

At the venue that I saw it in, it was not. At the very least, nobody was making a big deal out of it and there was nothing of the sort listed.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:56 pm

What it's shown in is up to the theatre.

The source is 1080p and has been for all 3 movies so far. The CRCs mention working in "Full HD", so 1920x1080. Making-of features occasionally have a resolution stamp on an in-prog shot that reveal they give themselves a few percent more room to endlessly iterate each shot like they usually do. I can not for the life of me remember what that exact working resolution was for 1.0 and 2.0 but for Q it's 1952x830. Final film is cropped/resized down to 1920x816.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:02 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:I can not for the life of me remember what that exact working resolution was for 1.0 and 2.0 but for Q it's 1952x830. Final film is cropped/resized down to 1920x816.

That's with the whole black bar thing right? Why did they do that? And was it like that in theaters?
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:09 pm

Yes it was like that in the theatre. Hopefully Anno will explain the aspect ratio change in the CRC.

The "black bar thing" is letterboxing. Since the standard video container for HD is 16:9 anything with a different aspect ratio will get letterboxed if it's wider or pillarboxed if it's narrower.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:36 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:What it's shown in is up to the theatre.

The source is 1080p and has been for all 3 movies so far. The CRCs mention working in "Full HD", so 1920x1080. Making-of features occasionally have a resolution stamp on an in-prog shot that reveal they give themselves a few percent more room to endlessly iterate each shot like they usually do. I can not for the life of me remember what that exact working resolution was for 1.0 and 2.0 but for Q it's 1952x830. Final film is cropped/resized down to 1920x816.

That's disappointing. Japan is supposed to be the technological center of the world.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Oh you'd be surprised how backwards and slow to adapt they can be. Especially the anime industry and its hilariously tiny budgets. More than half a decade of digitally produced anime is forever doomed to standard definition because noone thought about the future. Even when HD became a thing they were still slow. At the start whatever was broadcast in HD was still clearly upscaled from sub-720p "masters". It wasn't until ~2010 when you could finally claim that the majority of anime was properly HD and even then most of it is just 720p. Even today you'll be finding plenty of upscales.

Theatrical features are more considerate about their production values because even at the start of the digital era they knew they still had to print everything to film instead of just broadcasting on tiny TVs so that thankfully ensured proper efforts.

Honestly I would not expect any native 4K animation from anyone beside Ghibli for many, many more years to come.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:13 am

ayy lmao
Last edited by Clover on Sat May 02, 2015 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icomeanon4
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby icomeanon4 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:33 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:That's with the whole black bar thing right? Why did they do that? And was it like that in theaters?

The theaters are probably why they picked the wider aspect ratio. A typical movie theater's screen and a traditional live-action movie is much closer to 3.0's aspect ratio than to typical anime, which is almost universally 16x9 now. In a movie theater a regular anime movie will look like it's wasting the left and right sides of the wall, while 3.0 will look like it's using the whole space.

Basically, a movie can either waste space in a movie theater or on a TV, and Khara chose to waste TV space on this one instead for some reason. The rest of the world gets the short end of the stick in this case, but I respect Anno trying to make the most of movie theaters.

This is the one thing that bothers me about blu-ray, actually: almost all movies are letterboxed on it. It's not like we don't have the hardware power to handle anamorphic HD video. If cinema-wide TVs ever become a serious thing, blu-ray will look a lot worse than it could.
If the pen is mightier than the sword, the keyboard is mightier than the ICBM.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:21 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Oh you'd be surprised how backwards and slow to adapt they can be. Especially the anime industry and its hilariously tiny budgets.

The new Evas, just like any other Japanese anime, are still considered to be more or less "pulp fiction" anyway. Most studios just want to get a product out the door as fast as possible and didn't see a need to spend the time, effort, or expense in upgrading a product as scrutinized for marketability as your standard low-grade romance novel for quite some time. (This isn't to say that you don't have marketable items when it comes to anime. It's just that the story itself isn't often nuanced by the share-holders and studio heads too much beyond fitting the story into a recognizable genre.)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:49 pm

Anime, especially anime made digitally - as all anime is made now today - would gain absolutely nothing from being projected at 2K or 4K. There isn't any more detail that we're missing.

mp3dom
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby mp3dom » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:28 pm

The projection file for theaters is 2K (2048x858). This doesn't necessarily means it was natively drawn at that resolution.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:42 pm

Any more details about that file? :shifty:

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:46 pm

View Original Postmp3dom wrote:The projection file for theaters is 2K (2048x858). This doesn't necessarily means it was natively drawn at that resolution.

Can't wait to see that file in a real theater in a few weeks ;)

A weird question, I know, but... is the audio track we'll hear in the theater the same dubbed track we'll find on the BDs or are they two entirely different mixes?

mp3dom
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby mp3dom » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:47 pm

I don't know about other editors, but in our case it'll be the same track. The cinema standards have less restrictions about levels, dynamic range compression, average sound pressure and so on (compared to tv standards for example). We have decided to have a perfect mix for cinemas firstly. The home video release still will contain the same track. We don't love limiters or dynamic compressors. We prefer to have a mix that matches the levels of the original Japanese mix (it means: basically unrestricted)

Tetsuo87
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tetsuo87 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:08 pm

f**k the loudness conforming on ebu or itu standard! long life to the full dynamic sound!
now, seriously, I very much appreciate the work on the audio side. music, effects and voices are very present and powerful... at least from a first listen it seems a really good mix (although I was more focused on content than technical aspect) can't wait the BD release...

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:06 pm

View Original Postmp3dom wrote:I don't know about other editors, but in our case it'll be the same track.

Thanks. Unfortunately, the theater I went to had some problems with the audio setup, the center channel(s) was/were just too damn loud. The voices pretty much overpowered the awesome soundtrack during the battle scenes (have I already said how much I love 3.0's OST?). The weird thing is that the trailers that ran before the start of the movie sounded just right.
Anyway, waiting for the BDs/DVDs.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:55 pm

View Original Postath wrote:Thanks. Unfortunately, the theater I went to had some problems with the audio setup, the center channel(s) was/were just too damn loud. The voices pretty much overpowered the awesome soundtrack during the battle scenes (have I already said how much I love 3.0's OST?). The weird thing is that the trailers that ran before the start of the movie sounded just right.

Trailers of home video release material usually aren't mixed for surround sound. Many distribution companies don't see a need to clog up disc space with extra audio channels for special features, such as trailers or making-of features. Your system may still play audio through all of your channels, but it would be spreading a 2.0 stereo mix through a multi-track system.

If you're system is adjustable, you might just want to run a THX Optimizer through your sound system. (Found on most Disney/PIXAR, LucasFilms, and many other DVDs and Blu-rays.) The optimizer will play a "white noise" sound recorded at the exact same decibel level through each speaker one by one. This is there so you can determine if the speakers are playing sound at the same volume or not. If they're not, you might be able to adjust the individual speaker volume so that way they're all playing at the same volume. This should solve any problems or questions about the audio mixing.

Hope this helps!

mp3dom
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby mp3dom » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:19 pm

View Original Postath wrote:Thanks. Unfortunately, the theater I went to had some problems with the audio setup, the center channel(s) was/were just too damn loud. The voices pretty much overpowered the awesome soundtrack during the battle scenes (have I already said how much I love 3.0's OST?). The weird thing is that the trailers that ran before the start of the movie sounded just right.
Anyway, waiting for the BDs/DVDs.

The theaters should follow the guideance for the audio setup (there are some level that may need to be adjusted). Unfortunately not all cinemas sets the right levels. This happens because the setup needs to be made for each different movie. The same applies to projector convergence/calibration. There are some theaters that made one 'general' setup that is less prone to problems but this lead to a non-perfect result.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”