If the house is a-rockin'... [RML Thread 3]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:18 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:Determining one's native language depends on which language one speaks in childhood (up to teenage years).

Yep. My brother arrived to the States with my parents when he was 8, and I grew up hearing both Polish and English. He can speak both fluently, while I understand Polish well, but can barely speak it.

___

So I've been meaning to buy some prescription sunglasses and today I finally did. :jiggy: Should be a huge help when they arrive since I have to wear glasses all the time, damn myopia (nearsightedness).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

riffraff11235
Seed
Seed

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:37 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:trying to use Finnish grammar in English.

This is definitely the most common cause of confusion I see with non-native English speakers.

Oz wrote:That's because you have grown up using English. The children of immigrants have a tendency to learn the language of their new home much better than the immigrants themselves. Determining one's native language depends on which language one speaks in childhood (up to teenage years).

I grew up speaking both Italian and English extensively, though I guess strictly speaking the first language I learned to speak was the former. (Any English I knew upon entering pre-school was learned through television and the like.) I'm really impressed with my father's mastery of English, seeing as he came to the US well into his thirties knowing next to nothing about the language. He only makes occasional grammatical mistakes (which I gleefully correct as he does my Italian mistakes) and his accent is almost flawless. My mother, on the other hand, didn't have as much of a need to develop her English, so her accent is thick and she has trouble understanding when it's spoken quickly. I communicate almost exclusively in Italian with her. Obviously, having been properly educated in English, I consider it my primary language, but my Italian is not far behind at all in my mind.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:29 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:I'm really impressed with my father's mastery of English, seeing as he came to the US well into his thirties knowing next to nothing about the language. He only makes occasional grammatical mistakes (which I gleefully correct as he does my Italian mistakes) and his accent is almost flawless.

Now that's just damn inspiring, and gives me hope that once I finally batten down my hatches and get serious about learning Japanese (of which I took a couple semesters back in junior college but classes can only take you so far) I'll have some success.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Justacrazyguy
Donor
Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:15 am

A gift, It gave me a gift. It was a beatiful gift. Rain. Of course, I´m now completely wet, but it´s worth it. The rain makes me feel could on the outside but warm on the inside. Thank you, Rain God.

So yeah, RML
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:47 am

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:A gift, It gave me a gift. It was a beatiful gift. Rain. Of course, I´m now completely wet, but it´s worth it. The rain makes me feel could on the outside but warm on the inside. Thank you, Rain God.

So yeah, RML

Well.......This was pretty creepy/beautiful/happy post. -o-;

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:01 am

Had a conversation last night about Girls' Generation with a Korean girl who was excited to have a conversation about Girls' Generation with me.

I now feel 43% less creepy about being a Girls' Generation fan.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:12 am

I don't think that anybody would feel weird about liking the biggest K-Pop ever act at this point

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:40 am

I would have never thought that copypasting my lecture notes from a basic linguistic course would result in me getting more replies here than I have got in a long time. I guess that's RML in itself. What I should learn from this: more linguistics, less AKB. :lol:
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:44 pm

One of the question I sent to Ikuhara 2 years ago, it turns out, was indeed published into the third boxset's booklet. On the last page too.

Now I feel bad for practically stealing the first booklet onto the Internet.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

riffraff11235
Seed
Seed

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:58 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Now that's just damn inspiring, and gives me hope that once I finally batten down my hatches and get serious about learning Japanese (of which I took a couple semesters back in junior college but classes can only take you so far) I'll have some success.

I think in my dad's case it was more necessity than raw studying that did the trick. He needed to be eloquent in English in order to do well at his job. Plus, he's been immersed in American culture and language for over 20 years by now.

The best thing you could do at the level of college to help your language skills is studying abroad, I think. If I end up really liking Japanese, I'm considering spending part of my junior year in Japan.
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:43 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:I don't think that anybody would feel weird about liking the biggest K-Pop ever act at this point

What if you're a 26 year-old straight non-Asian guy? Kind of has that guyish connotations... no? Probably doesn't help that the girl I'm into now is Vietnamese and the last one before her was Korean.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:26 am

NEWS FROM BEYOND THE FORUM
I have an RML from Nuke-kun.

Nuke-kun has secured a date for his Homecoming dance. Yes, it is a she, and yes, she is adorable, though, regrettably, not Asian. Additionally, Nuke managed to to have his first kiss with this girl, whose friends proceeded to belittle him, probably for his lack of epic Jewfro.

Congratulations, Nuke-kun, on your step toward the world of manhood. May your (future) lays be fulfilling and endeavors fruitful. :salute:

Prepare for step two, electric boogaloo (use protection, FFS).

Just...try not to become too much like your old Uncle Catamari. For your own good, bro.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:48 am

Absolutely disgusting. He's making a terrible mistake, he's going to lose his shot at wizardry.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:25 am

View Original PostCatamari wrote:NEWS FROM BEYOND THE FORUM
I have an RML from Nuke-kun.

Nuke-kun has secured a date for his Homecoming dance. Yes, it is a she, and yes, she is adorable, though, regrettably, not Asian. Additionally, Nuke managed to to have his first kiss with this girl, whose friends proceeded to belittle him, probably for his lack of epic Jewfro.

Congratulations, Nuke-kun, on your step toward the world of manhood. May your (future) lays be fulfilling and endeavors fruitful. :salute:

Unexpected, but anyways, well done Nuke. :D

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

Postby Fazmotron » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:26 am

My house-mates are out of the state for the weekend, so I have the perfect night planned for myself.

Full volume and repeating all the lines as they're said.
If you're all alone, you may as well make the best of your loneliness.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Redtophat
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Redtophat » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:58 pm

Nuke is no longer a Hogwartsbro.

riffraff11235
Seed
Seed

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:57 am

MY NYCC TICKET IS HERE!!!

:rei_dance:
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

CX1329
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby CX1329 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:07 am

Today, I went to the gym for the first time in years. It was tough, but it was quite fun at the same time. Over the next few months, I plan to go at least three times a week so that I may increase my fitness level to the point I'm able to go back to practicing Muay Thai.
Sapientiam autem non vincit malitia.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:04 pm

View Original PostJune wrote:Nuke is no longer a Hogwartsbro.

Translation?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Redtophat
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Redtophat » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:14 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Translation?
He's wavering from the path of wizardry.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”