Just got back from the theater. Running around the parking blasting Beethoven's 9th at full volume was priceless. It's almost 2am here, so don't expect any kind of coherency in this post.
That change took a while to get used to. Rei's performance was great, her VA got the monotone spot on. Kaworu's VA sounded even more homoerotic than Akira Ishida (is that even possibile?). I guess much of it had to do with the reaction of the audience, though.
I don't know why but I kind of liked Shinji's VA more in this role than in the previous films. That bald man aboard the Wunder (can't remember the name, sorry) was by far the most annoying of the bunch.
after the marathon two weeks ago with evangelion 1.0 and 2.0 which were by far the most viewed films in the day on 4 September in Italy with 25,000 tickets sold,
beating even the giants of American film.
Well, it's not directly comparable as it was a Wednesday. I bet the Hollywood movies get significantly more during the weekends. Still a noteworthy event, especially since 1.0/2.0 were a continuous 3:40 projection that required quite a lot of dedication from the viewers.
Anyway, at least here in Brescia the organizers had to scramble last week to get more than double the available seats compared to 1.0/2.0. A lot of the people I saw today hadn't watched 3.0 before, so it came much as a shock to them. The reactions where mostly negative, not that I expected anything else to be honest.
So, will some of you Italian folks take some notes about the dubbing, so we could compare with the official French and English subs?
Unfortunately I didn't have anything available to record the audio, so I have to go from memory (that's what I get from installing Ubuntu Touch on my brand new Nexus 4 right yesterday, I suppose).
I'm not up to speed with the subs discussions, but here's a quick list of the things I was more surprised about:
- both Mari and Misato usually referred to "Adams" as a singular entity ("vaso di Adams"? lolwut)
- Kaworu was quite explicit in talking about the (near-)Third Impact, explaining that it happened after Shinji got fused inside EVA-01, but putting the entire blame of the accident on his actions. Anyway, the entire Third Impact (including the Mark.06 "incident") clearly happened in a short timespan, since Lilith's chamber had been completely sealed 14 years before the events of 3.0.
- about the usual "failure of Infinity" stuff: they used something like "they failed to become Infinity", whatever that is supposed to mean
- I haven't heard anything about Asuka trying to kill Shinji, to me it looked like she was only trying to stop his actions without harming him. I can't remember the line, but I'm curious to take a look at the Japanese script to see where in hell the "bamboccio" () came from.
- Gendo's last line sounded more confident than the "This will do for now" I read in UTW's subs (but listening to the Japanese right now, I'd bet on UTW)