[News] 2013 News (NO POLITICS)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:36 pm

Mentally Challenged Man Beaten For His GTA V (Happy Ending Follows)

I'm going to try and focus on the idea that this was divine providence and attempt to ignore the fact that something so fucked up happened in the first place.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:49 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/19/us-pilot-scares-iranians-top-gun-worthy-stunt-you-/#ixzz2fOcu6zyv

like a boss

Holy shit.

And yeah, the story with the challenged guy is pretty weird to say the least. Nice to know so many people are helping him out though.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:09 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/19/us-pilot-scares-iranians-top-gun-worthy-stunt-you-/#ixzz2fOcu6zyv

like a boss

bet the Iranians received soiled flight suits when they noticed the American fighter next to them.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:39 am

like a boss

:\

I'm not inclined to cheer for anyone here.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:34 am

This idiot might have started a shooting war with that stunt of his. Are all pilots this high on adrenaline? Ridiculous.

Anyway, it's noteworthy that the F-22 is in business now. They finally put the thing to use.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:58 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:This idiot might have started a shooting war with that stunt of his. Are all pilots this high on adrenaline? Ridiculous.

Given that they were in international airspace, not so much. Approaching the drone to begin with was every bit as audacious, so showing Iran our capabilities without being aggressive about it seems like a good play.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:35 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:This idiot might have started a shooting war with that stunt of his. Are all pilots this high on adrenaline? Ridiculous.

Uh yes it kind of goes with the territory
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Hunter_Tower_Bridge_incident[/url]
[url]http://www.k7tgu.com/Hancock/Fly-byCVN74.htm[/url]
besides this kind of stuff isn't new, during the cold war it wasn't uncommon for US carrier planes to go check out Soviet recon planes loitering around
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-14_Tomcat_operational_history#Cold_War_intercepts_.281976-1991.29[/url]
if this was tines I could make a "this isn't the wright brothers era anymore" joke
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:14 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Approaching the drone to begin with was every bit as audacious, so showing Iran our capabilities without being aggressive about it seems like a good play.

There's nothing remotely audacious about approaching a drone, especially since the thing isn't even piloted. And like Knightmare's link, US Fighters (Navy F-4s, F-14s and F-18s, USAF F-15s) have been esccorting Tu-95s over the ocean without the least issue. Those were clearly not aggressive actions. Playing this hair-raising and totally unnecessary stunt was. You don't spook a pilot from an unfriendly country. Even if he was in an F-22, he gave the Phantom pilot a firing solution and all but encouraged him to shoot.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:37 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:There's nothing remotely audacious about approaching a drone, especially since the thing isn't even piloted.

Uh, yeah there is. It's property of another country, and the Iranians approached it in a fighter jet in international airspace. That's audacious at the least, and close to being an outright act of aggression.

And like Knightmare's link, US Fighters (Navy F-4s, F-14s and F-18s, USAF F-15s) have been esccorting Tu-95s over the ocean without the least issue.

That's because it was a response to Soviet aircraft getting too close to NATO fleets. You might reasonably argue the Iranian jet was acting similarly if the drone was getting too close to Iranian airspace, but the article doesn't tell us where the incident took place.

Even if he was in an F-22, he gave the Phantom pilot a firing solution and all but encouraged him to shoot.

The point of the stunt was to show the Iranians that they were hopelessly outclassed, and it succeeded marvelously in that regard. It's pretty hard to shoot someone off your left wing, and most pilots would take the hint and go home -- which is exactly what happened here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:47 pm

You miss the point entirely, Bags. Anyway, I'm not here to shoot up the news thread with stuff like this.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/09/19/us-usa-snakes-idINBRE98I16L20130919

This man would put Salazar Slytherin to shame.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:54 pm

random iphone info you do (not) want to know
only a matter of time until a device using a anal probe to unlock your iphone comes out

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

We care little because there's no money. BP

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:15 am

Somewhere, a public servant is saying "not my department".
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: We care little because there's no money. BP

Postby Bagheera » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:58 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Somewhere, a public servant is saying "not my department".

Oh man. The author of that article just doesn't get it.

[Resulting conversation split out like I said I'd do. - Monk]

[Also this is still relevant here:]
View Original Postarkiel wrote:Also: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/19/4749440/department-of-defense-office-manages-to-find-a-new-fax-machine-FOIA

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:58 pm

The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:58 pm

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:random iphone info you do (not) want to know
only a matter of time until a device using a anal probe to unlock your iphone comes out

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Confirmed: You may just drown on Mars. BP

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:42 am

So, they just found water on Mars. For realz this time. Not "Residue leftover from chemical reaction", not "Clay, so maybe water at some point", Curiosity burned some Martian soil, and out popped H2O molecules.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:36 pm

All the Steam releases finished up today. Here's the last one: http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/

Kinda sad that the most impressive part of that controller is potentially that Valve was able to secure all the relevant patents...

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:10 pm

Not exactly anything new, but recently posted TED Talk by James Lyne: http://www.ted.com/talks/james_lyne_everyday_cybercrime_and_what_you_can_do_about_it.html

Basic stuff everyone these days should know or at the very least be aware of.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:12 am

The Government has shut down.

What, exactly, does this mean? The last one happened when I was two.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:26 am

View Original PostCatamari wrote:What, exactly, does this mean? The last one happened when I was two.

The 2nd google result: http://swampland.time.com/2013/09/29/explaining-the-shutdown-to-your-kids/

What was it like when it happened to Clinton? Barely noticeable, but I wasn't one of the people who had any sort of significant reliance on government aide or had a job that relied on it.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”