What anime are you watching right now? May-Nov '13

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Paranoid
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Paranoid » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:26 am

Squig, you're aware of Kill la Kill, right?
I like food.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy their fate be granted glory."-Edel, Princess Tutu

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:27 am

View Original PostParanoid wrote:Squig, you're aware of Kill la Kill, right?

I have heard of it. Don't know anything about it though, other than it looks like FLCL and has GIANT ROBOT MONSTER SCHOOLGIRL UNIFORM in it.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Paranoid
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Paranoid » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:45 am

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:I have heard of it. Don't know anything about it though, other than it looks like FLCL and has GIANT ROBOT MONSTER SCHOOLGIRL UNIFORM in it.

It's by Trigger, it's being directed and written by the guys who did TTGL and (if I recall correctly) has been explicitly stated to be a spiritual successor, and it's coming out in just a few weeks.
Incidentally, a 3-minute PV came out just a couple of days ago. I suggest you check it out.
I like food.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy their fate be granted glory."-Edel, Princess Tutu

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:49 am

View Original PostParanoid wrote:It's by Trigger, it's being directed and written by the guys who did TTGL and (if I recall correctly) has been explicitly stated to be a spiritual successor, and it's coming out in just a few weeks.
Incidentally, a 3-minute PV came out just a couple of days ago. I suggest you check it out.

YES

SO MUCH FUCKING YES
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:48 am

I thought Gifu Dodo would be done at 12 eps (ANN says they have 12 titles and are way behind), while MAL has no end date. Although it has a lot less action than I initially expected, it has gotten more intriguing despite all its quirks and talk of righteousness, and I'm sticking with it.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:07 pm

Gifu Dodo has ended up being a lot like the majority of Sengoku Period anime, sometimes as ridiculous as Basara and sometimes as OCD as Hyouge Mono. It's pretty interesting how the same historical figures get portrayed in such varying ways from show to show.

Speaking of Hyouge Mono, people should really check that out now that the entire show has been subbed.

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:15 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I've never heard of this series...

...but now I want to see it.

That's some very Misato hair.

It's Rice and Grains' Effects on the World: The Anime, basically. And the Rice parts are some of the best parts (along with the Gulf War).

She's a bro, like Misato, but without all the daddy issues.

She's beautiful too, like Misato.

And I loved it. I've never gotten why people call it "boring".

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:28 pm

Huh, i certainly didn't expect that reaction. Just for the record, the reason why i intend to skip the island episodes is not so much the quality, but rather the fact that (as far as i know) Anno never intended for those episodes to be part of Nadia in the first place. If the author didn't want them in, then i can't consider them part of the series.

In any case it seems that i'll need to look for the answer elsewhere.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

hayase's a bitch though

Postby Killer Bee » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:45 pm

Just wanted to say Macross is great. Sorry I ever doubted you, Xard.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:59 pm

15 episodes in and Planetes is charming. There's nothing particularly interesting about any of the characters but I love them anyway, which is something I haven't seen in a series in a while. I'm also surprised the 720p version looks so good; I kind of expected it to suffer from the same early-digital problem Haibane had. I don't know very much about how that kind of thing works but the issue isn't there.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:33 pm

View Original PostParanoid wrote:Incidentally, a 3-minute PV came out just a couple of days ago. I suggest you check it out.

Revolutionary Girl-en Lagann?

Yeah, I can dig it.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:42 pm

It's hard to say why, but I'm left entirely " :| " by that preview.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:34 am

View Original PostParanoid wrote:Incidentally, a 3-minute PV came out just a couple of days ago. I suggest you check it out.

B-b-but it's HIGH SCHOOL!!!
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:56 am

Your life is basically over after high school has been the message I've gotten from anime over the years.
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:22 am

Wrong emphasis - your life becomes one long round of reminiscence!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:48 am

Perhaps this is why high school life is such a frequent topic for mangaka and animators - they wish their experiences had been like that!

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:54 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:I don't know if this might just be due to a small hiatus from episodes 12 and 13, but i felt there was something that made all the aspects of the series (especially in terms of directing and editing) that seriously shot up from episode 13 onwards.

Placebo effect for whatever reason, probably because it's around 9-13 Nadia shifts from introduction & high adventure part of its story to more SF and more character development focused phase as principal cast and story elements are finally in place. Certainly there's no change in Anno's directing though episodes 14, 16 and 22 are probably the most blatantly Annoesque episodes in the series all in all.

This came up before with Rebuild but the thing is Anno as a director is relatively static as he arrived on scene astonishingly "fully formed". In terms of techniques and quirks you find pretty much everything he does even today in just as vigorous and balanced form from Gunbuster! The only notable new development would be his most blatantly experimental, avant garde period that gradually gained momentum through NGE and lasted till Shiki Jitsu or so. Still, even works of this period are directingwise 90% defined by what he was already doing in Gunbuster.

As for "QUALITY" claims I can't really agree with that at all as I found my recent BD rewatch illuminating in how little the GAINAX animated episodes have it. Character models stay extremely consistent outside "Island Arc", all in all thousand times better than in Eva which was animated here and there on episode by episode basis.

View Original PostDream wrote:Huh, i certainly didn't expect that reaction. Just for the record, the reason why i intend to skip the island episodes is not so much the quality, but rather the fact that (as far as i know) Anno never intended for those episodes to be part of Nadia in the first place. If the author didn't want them in, then i can't consider them part of the series.

This isn't actually true and there always was going to be Island arc. It offers crucial break from the Nautilus vs Neo-Atlantis narrative that reaches sort of mini-climax-cliffhanger with episode 22 and continuing from THAT straight to finale is not in the least bit sensible.

Not only that: Island arc is where crucial parts about Nadia's backstory get revealed, they introduce core story element without which climax would not exist as we now know it and most importantly it's where large part of Nadia-Jean relationship development happens...or was supposed to happen.

The issue is that they were forced to drag the arc out to ridiculous lenghts and the way story was told during it was as incompetent as it was retarded. But regardless island arc in some form is crucial part of Nadia's story.

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:Just wanted to say Macross is great. Sorry I ever doubted you, Xard.

Good, remember this lesson. :wink:

As for

hayase's a bitch though

I'm going to be generous and assume you are pretty early into series.

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:Perhaps this is why high school life is such a frequent topic for mangaka and animators - they wish their experiences had been like that!

What do you think is the raison d'etre of dating sims? :hahaha:

best use for gundem

Uhh, while trying to gather energy for mad Brotherhood HYPE (and apparently in vain hoping Oz would take the first step) I've continued watching Turn A Gundam. Today I reached the halfway point of series.

It is rather eyebrow raising series, mainly because of how consistently good it is. Easily the best 25 episodes from Tomino I've seen and to make things more confusing it's not like this is any less obviously Tomino than Victory Gundam or, erm, Garzery's Wing. Even things that have driven me up the walls in past entries of the franchise have been mostly positive additions to this oddball mecha series.

Also, this damn soundtrack MOOON ranks among all time greats. The best Gundam score to boot with quite comfortable margin.

Also can I get Harry's glasses somewhere? Seriously.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:15 pm

Hairy Orb is the best Char Expy because he's not like him at all. Turn A is my favorite Kanno OST.

I just watched Servant x Service 12 and I'm upset because I feel like a status quo ending is incoming. I've really liked this show and it'll be annoying if that happens and there's no S2.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Paranoid
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Paranoid » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:51 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:I just watched Servant x Service 12...

You watch raw?
I like food.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:02 pm

No, horriblesubs has been up for hours.

Return to “Old Stickies”