pic thread image limit request discussion [split]

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:50 am

The catalyst for this was one post in the last week or so which had a few spoiler blocks with lots of images in each; so that if you'd opened the KawoShin block, and scanned it, then moved on to Asuka, more KS images kept popping into existence and reflowing the layout -- a combination of actual bandwidth being consumed and the number of concurrent fetches that the browser manages leading to a less than optimal user experience.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:44 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:But shouldn't images be cached after the first viewing? :???:

For that session yes, but after that it depends on how the individual user has their browser configured.

For a personal example, I go through a LOT of images for my job and frequently have several memory hogging programs going at once as part of my workflow (say... photoshop, illustrator, firefox, skype, and multiple powerpoint decks all fired up at once is not at all unusual), so one thing I do to keep things running smoothly on my somewhat aging computer is to have it set to completely clear my image cache out whenever the browser is shut down. Thus just about every time I check on the pic thread (as I have to do frequently because it's such a damn drama factory) I have to load everything from scratch, with links from whomever is using "i#minus" seeming to take FOREVER to finish... and of course it seems to load preferentially from the top of the page down so I generally have to wait it out in order to properly check in on the latest editions. And don't even get me started on the massive delay that happens when I have to actually split anything out of there, which triggers my browser loading up the whole damn thread (not page, thread) all at once. I guarantee every time I have to do that it's sending time out errors to users across the board, so be thankful I keep weird hours like this.

...Ahem. Okay, moving on.

Also, if they click through a link won't that take them to the same number or more pictures?

I've already given a response to this as well as other reasons to favor using links.

Have any users actually complained about this?

Yes.

And with that I'm stepping out of the discussion. I don't know how to make my position any clearer and you guys are starting to make me wish I'd not bothered trying the softer route in the first place.

I mean this as a request, not as a threat: Please don't make me be the bad guy.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:49 am

NemZ wrote:And don't even get me started on the massive delay that happens when I have to actually split anything out of there, which triggers my browser loading up the whole damn thread (not page, thread) all at once. I guarantee every time I have to do that it's sending time out errors to users across the board, so be thankful I keep weird hours like this.

Back when I had to regularly do splits out of the (image-heavy) 3.33 Things You Noticed thread, I would just click the Stop icon once the text had loaded so that it wouldn't even bother with the images, and then I'd get to business. You don't do that?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:54 am

It's the pic thread. Often enough the problem involves the pics so without being able to see them it's hard to tell what needs to go where.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:56 am

But, I love the large pic dumps!
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:52 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:But, I love the large pic dumps!

Well, if they're messing with other users that's a bad thing. Spacing them out so there are fewer pics per page seems like a reasonable request in light of that.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”