3DS Corner

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:10 pm

I must be one of the people who never notices the supposed "washing out" of DS games when playing on my 3DS. :\
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

New not so good with the old. BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:00 am

Example of screen size in 1:1 mode on 3DS (red marks the edges).

Side by side comparison of 3DS and 3DS XL in 1:1 mode.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:18 am

Huh. I've never noticed much of a difference and I mostly use my 3DS to play DS games.

Currently working my very slowly through FF Tactics A2.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:00 am

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-09-05/attack-on-titan-3ds-game-screenshots-previewed

This needs to come out in NA once AOT gets its English dub treatment.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:46 pm

I just bought a 3DS XL and I am SO HAPPY WITH IT.

OH MY GOD. Let me tell you how happy I am.

To sum it up, every hope I had about the system turned out to be true, and every fear I had about the system turned out to be false.

The size is perfect for my hands -- I can hold it and comfortably play it with my palms against the sides, something I couldn't do with my friend's 3DS at all nor with my DS. Even when I do hold it like I do my DS (palms away from the sides, fingers at full extension), it seems fine. I had worried that the extra size of the system might not help the way I thought it would, but in fact it does help and in exactly the way I imagined.

The 3D effect has turned out to be surprisingly entertaining and useful. This is only my first day, of course, so who knows how I'll feel about it over time, but Super Mario 3D Land goes out of its way to make the most of the 3D, like one early level where you jump down from cloud to cloud with an overhead view, and I felt like the added depth perception gave me a lot more to work with compared to how I'm used to feeling a lot more like I'm taking leaps of faith in 3D Mario games.

The extra screen size gives the system more of a "wow" factor than I was expecting. I remember worrying that it would be too big or something (as if that makes any sense), but instead it feels just right compared to what I remember from handling my friend's 3DS the other day.

I'm amazed at how quickly I've acclimated to the circle pad. By the end of my first session it went from being something I was seriously worried about to something that felt completely natural. I found different ways of manipulating it comfortably and effectively, using different parts of my thumb or by holding the system in different ways, and there's enough different comfortable ways to hold the machine and manipulate the controls that I can switch between them as needed in case I get tired of one way or I need a bit more precision for a particular situation, etc.

Lastly, I have no trouble fitting the system into my pocket with room to spare for my usual wallet and such. I guess I have big pockets, or anyone who thinks the system is too big has small pockets.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:53 pm

Congrats on a fine purchase, monk. :D

So what games are ya playin'?
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:48 pm

My copy of Super Mario 3D Land is on loan from a friend. I had the foresight the last time I saw him to ask if I could borrow it because I was intending to get a 3DS in the next couple of days. And indeed I did.

I wanted to buy both NSMB2 and Fire Emblem: Awakening (I've never played a Fire Emblem), but couldn't afford it, so I had to pick one. At first I picked NSMB2, but then at the last minute I changed my mind and went with Fire Emblem, because I'm coming close to the end of Advance Wars 2 and will be wanting a new strategy fix soon. Plus I figured one Mario game (the one I borrowed) should be enough for a start.

I still haven't opened Fire Emblem. :shifty:
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:49 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I still haven't opened Fire Emblem. :shifty:

I just opened my copy a few days ago and I already love it.

I only bought it because of the $30 credit thing too, I was planning on selling it.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:53 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I still haven't opened Fire Emblem. :shifty:

It is one the best games I have EVER played. No doubt my favorite 3ds game hands down!... So you may want to open it.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:34 am

I've had my 3DS for a year now and only have 3 games (OoT, Fire Emblem, Pokemon Y) not counting eshop stuff. Thinking about picking up the new Zelda but I've heard mixed opinions on it.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:18 am

I've got both the 3ds Zeldas, Awakening, and SF4. Mostly though I still just play DS games.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:30 am

I haven't touched my 3DS in months. :( Even when I was still going to class (I'm on break now), I didn't bother to pull it out on the train. Just didn't feel like it.

Mixed reviews on the new Zelda? I've heard nothing but positive, critically and just people I know (on the internet), especially very very surprised positive from people who were sure they'd hate it because it's (fear of fears!) different.
System Administrator

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:47 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:especially very very surprised positive from people who were sure they'd hate it because it's (fear of fears!) different.

People were saying the same thing about Wind Waker at first. Just look at how that turned out. :lol:
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:13 am

I might get the new Zelda for 3DS, but first I want to play Wind Waker HD and Bayonetta.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby r1cepurin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:45 am

tfw there's a perfect game for the 3ds but it's only available for the Japanese 3DS ;____;

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:09 pm

I've been playing the hell out of the newest Zelda. The whole rental thing is stupid since the dungeons and bosses are clearly built around a specific weapon anyway, but otherwise it's a great game.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:59 am

I bought my 3DS XL (in red) back in mid-November last year, the first two purchases being the Zelda titles. Finally managed to work in a third title thanks to some birthday cash, and I decided on Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl.

Anybody got any thoughts on it? Or is this going to be a case of people telling me, "you should've gotten Fire Emblem, man" (to quote a friend of mine)?
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:55 am

View Original Postr1cepurin wrote:tfw there's a perfect game for the 3ds but it's only available for the Japanese 3DS ;____;

My god, they made a sequel of Touch Detective? I'd play it....but it's in Japanese...darn.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:30 pm

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:Or is this going to be a case of people telling me, "you should've gotten Fire Emblem, man" (to quote a friend of mine)?

Ah well... um... Not saying you should have gotten it in place of something else, but you really should get Fire Emblem at some point.

But yeah, if you get the cash for it down the road, I'd recommend the Zero Escape series.

Other thoughts? I wish I'd brought mine with me during this training period; I've got a hankering to play Fire Emblem extreme difficulty.
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Sleigh Lain Fish
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sleigh Lain Fish » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:15 pm

Anybody play any brain-game types? Like, those neuroplasticity training exercises for game systems, you know what I mean. Maybe I'll get Animal Crossing. All I remember about the franchise is shots of random gameplay from the first gitl I ever went out with who had an obsession.. But I only ever use the game for absent minded distraction, so maybe a sim would be fitting. I also like Rayman. Anything bright and very simple, preferably weird of funky, too.
"In the land of a thousand fathers, she was born on the Fourth of July. But that don't mean she was made in America.. She was gone in the blink of an eye. She belongs, but she acts like a stranger. She can laugh, but she ain't free. I am my only devil, because they'll believe what they want to believe." - Josh Scogin.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”