Anno voicing the main character in Miyazaki's upcoming film

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:35 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:
Japanese civilians got firebombed into oblivion and were just as much victims of war than any other nation. Grave of the Fireflies focuses its attention almost entirely on the personal tragedies that war gives rise to, rather than seeking to glamorize it as a heroic struggle between competing ideologies. It emphasizes that war is society's failure to perform its most important duty to protect its own people. If one wants to be this kind of cynical and see some false victim mentality I'd say he holds some unreasonable grudges and needs to learn some perspective.

^ This. I can also note the guy who made Grave of the Fireflies has stated he's glad that Japan lost WW2, saying they would not have been a nice country.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:53 pm

I probably shouldn't say this, but i personally really wouldn't like to see this thread about what seems to be a really beautiful Ghibli film get sidetracked or overtaken by tired discussions of World War 2 and related history and politics. I would give my two cents but Fireball put it much better than i ever could.

Although i do wonder if Miyazaki chose Horikoshi because his dreams and works were used for such a sad thing as war.

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:BTW, what the hell is going on with the Porco Rosso sequel? I thought that was gonna be Miyazaki's next project....this new film kinda took me completely by surprise.

As far as i know the rumors of the Porco Rosso sequel (movie, manga or otherwise) are unfortunately just an internet thing. I seem to recall reading some comments from Miyazaki along the lines of being interested in maybe doing something with the story of Porco Rosso once again, but nothing seems to have come out of it. A real shame too because everything i've heard about "The last sortie" made it a film i would have really loved to watch.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby TruthfulLie » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:07 am

As much as I respect the guy, people can show their true color regardless of what they've shown earlier. I am mostly concerned because I am expecting him to not only create a beautiful but a keen look into the war itself since he is dealing with the subject. As far as Dream's statement regarding sidetracking, I think it's not really a sidetracking when we talk about the war since it is essential part of the film's plot. Though I don't agree with what is stated above, I won't comment any further (regarding the political views) since the discussion will probably lead to nowhere. Sorry I ever brought up the politics. Either way, I hope that my concern will be proven futile and that he'll show the greatness that is expected of him.
Last edited by TruthfulLie on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:17 pm

I must have missed the war sections in that teaser then, because all i've seen was dealing with the life of Jiro Horikoshi...

To be fair though, i was expecting someone to bring up the politics aspect because it is something that was going to get brought up one way or the other and the concern was brought up in a very respectable and proper way.

This is not to say i think the war won't get mentioned at all or integrated into the film's possible themes, but i don't think it will appear in the nature or way most people think it will. I also certainly hope to see another great Miyazaki film.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:39 pm

I thought I'd like to mention that a Japanese mobile phone company is streaming two ads that feature Anno and his role in the movie. They can be found here:

http://www.aulovesghibli.com/pc/beforetop/movie/
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:36 pm

Anno's an amazing dancer

EDIT:

4-minute trailer for the film. Trailer starts at 1:20 mark. You get to hear some Hideaki Anno speak & the film of course looks AMAZING!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3AekHQy6lc

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:52 am

Chunk of a making-of documentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mVkmZFJvZ-4

This features the casting meeting where Miyazaki gets the idea of casting Anno and the audition.

Miyazaki and produces Suzuki seem to be quite amused by the idea of casting Anno. Other people not so much :lol:
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:10 pm

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:48 pm

I read some shitaku article about people hating on it for being anti-Japanese. (yeah, so much for nationalistic Miyazaki)

Everything else I heard about Kaze Tachinu sounds like the beautiful movie as intended.

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Miyazaki and produces Suzuki seem to be quite amused by the idea of casting Anno. Other people not so much :lol:

seems like it.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:20 am

Considering how goddamn badass he sounded as Black Space Lord in After the End, I'm looking forward to it.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:25 am

Review in the Economist http://econ.st/16819qO -- no mention of Anno's part, though.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:09 pm

Soooooooooooooon  SPOILER: Show

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:09 am

Australian distributor Madman has announced their acquisition of the film, it'll be screening at cinemas in Australia and New Zealand next year.
Voluntary Illusion.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:38 pm

NYC/LA one week Oscar-qualifying run from November 8th to 14th (in Japanese with English subs)

Wide release February 21,2014. (Dubbed)

http://collider.com/the-wind-rises-release-date-us/

I still feel the only way an English dub will work for me is if they hire a great American director to voice Jiro. Would anyone be against Martin Scorsese's clearly non-Japanese voice coming out of Jiro's mouth?

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:58 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I still feel the only way an English dub will work for me is if they hire a great American director to voice Jiro. Would anyone be against Martin Scorsese's clearly non-Japanese voice coming out of Jiro's mouth?

Well if they wanna go with someone who has the strongest parallel to Anno's career and/or style, I can think of the following:

-George Lucas (ohmygod to hear Lucas try to act would be fucking phenominal)

-David Lynch (trademark whathefuckery, and has actually done some acting before both voice and live action)

-John Lasseter (just because he's the head honcho at Pixar and has supervised many ghibli dubbings and is a HARDCORE Miyazaki fanboy as this video demonstrates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS82GM7D6d0

-Joss Whedon (self evident)

Personally, I think it'll be Lasseter if they do go that route.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Electric Sachiel » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:58 am

Hey guys. I just got back from the North American premiere of "The Wind Rises" at the Toronto International Film Festival. With regards to Hideaki Anno playing the role of Jiro Hirokoshi, in all honesty it took some getting used to. The movie begins by following a young elementary school kid Jiro, who is full of life and is voiced by an actual kid. As soon as Jiro hits his late teens and heads off to University, Anno comes into full gear and lends his voice to the character. At first it felt a bit awkward hearing a relatively monotone and soft spoken voice like Anno. I've heard of people complaining about his voice being very jarring. Ie: An old man playing a younger adult. But I think it works. Honestly after the first few minutes into the film I began to accept that Anno could indeed play the role of Jiro.

Afterall I've had a few professors in University that are in their 60s with a relatively young sounding voice. There are exceptions to the rule. Anyways, being the soft spoken and well mannered engineer that Jiro appears to be in the film, I think Anno's voice works 90% of the time. I totally forgot that Anno was even doing the voice work after the first 30 minutes into the film.

During sequences in the film where Jiro is clearly getting emotional and distraught over his wife's sickness (tuberculosis), you can clearly feel Anno breaking out of his usual monotone and flat delivery into something that begins to resemble that of a concerned character that, in a panicky voice, asks for the bus and train schedules and rushes across the countryside to his sick fiance's bedside. Hearing Anno's voice during the film's rather depressing ending where Jiro chokes back tears seals the deal for me.

In any other voice acting role, Hideaki Anno would likely struggle to bring any animated character to life. However, since the character Jiro Hirokoshi is depicted as a very soft spoken individual that keeps to himself and doesn't express a wide range of emotions in public (think Luna from the Harry Potter movies), I think Anno and his relatively flat acting in the film works. Good job Anno!

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:18 am

So I'm back from the first of three screenings at the Toronto International Film Festival.

Absolutely fantastic film. If this is really Miyazaki's last feature film he's leaving on a high note.

Best way to sum it up is with this gif:

SPOILER: Show

That's pretty much the whole movie. Sure there's still the love story but the above gif is an amazing representation of what you'll get when you go see it. Complete with making all the sound effects with your mouth. That's not a joke. All the sound effects are actually done by humans. Everything from the air plane engines and rickety structures, the trains and wind and even the Great Kanto earthquake. That unique sound design combined with Ghibli's animation and Joe Hisaishi score is an amazing experience.

The movie is literally made of dreams. Jiro's dreams. Caproni's dreams. Junker's dreams. Miyazaki's dreams. Every other persons’ who ever found planes to be beautiful. This seems like both a love letter, yet another shameless acknowledgement of Miyazaki's towards early aviation and a lament that those days are long gone. I think it was on /m/ that someone posted a transcript of a TV show where Yoshiyuki Tomino and another guest got into an argument on what the movie was about. The other guest saying it's about the girl but Tomino insisting it's about the airplane: that he, Miyazaki and everyone from those older generations were obsessed with it. You can judge for yourself when you see it but I'm inclined to agree. But I'm very much biased (rant-y personal addition at the end).

The love story, while quite beautiful seemed like it could have been a movie of its own. Then again the story of the girl is a separate source from Jiro’s life and it was Miyazaki who created the completely fictional relationship between the two. It’s in no way detrimental and does work overall, emphasizing that Jiro's head is in the clouds so often it's hard to imagine it ever comes back to the ground.

On the way home I ended up sitting behind two Japanese girls on the subway who were also at the screening and were discussing it the whole ride with seemingly great appreciation. My moon is extremely weak but amongst all the talk of Nahoko, airplanes, Jiro’s dreams, etc. what kept coming up was 二回目, they wanted to see it again. I’m very much in agreement. I really want to see it again but judging by today’s rush line it might not be possible for the other two screenings.

So where does the master, Mr. Anno fit into all this? Well he wasn’t bad at all, but at the same time the role isn’t super dynamic and doesn’t require extreme ranges (except for like one or two bits) so normal everyday Anno did quite fine, just as the interviews a few pages earlier say. Not much else to add.

Geoffrey Wexler, Studio Ghibli’s Chief Gaijin represented the company at the screening. He answered a few questions, the most interesting of which was about the sound. He said Miyazaki wanted to do all the sound effects himself but the staff denied him because he’s already too busy with all the other duties so someone else had to do it all. He also let it be known that the movie has Mono sound, which apparently no one ever believes but that’s another thing Miyazaki wanted and won out on.
The most important thing he mentioned was the release dates:

Academy run, subtitled, in NYC and LA, Nov 8-14

Wider North American release, dubbed (and possibly subbed too) is in February 2014.

I highly recommend people go see it if they have the chance.

Personal rant  SPOILER: Show

While the movie isn’t all sunshine and rainbows it depressed me on a very personal level. I used to dream just like Jiro. I even started down the same path, eventually earning a B.Eng in Aerospace Engineering. But the 5 years it took me to finish the 4 year program pretty much killed all of my dreams. I struggled through the last 2 years so as not to make the first 3 seem like a waste but all it did was burn me out completely. I’ve done exactly nothing relevant towards the piece of paper that I’ve earned since I received it in a fancy ceremony that was supposed to be a celebration. It’s been 2.5 years since then and I still want nothing to do with the modern aerospace industry. In the film Caproni compares engineers to artists. That just isn’t the case anymore. Everything has become so advanced, complicated and expensive that there’s no longer any room for an individual human’s touch. Everything is optimized by computers and passes through so many hands that there’re only roles left and the actors don’t matter. Everyone is yet another faceless mook, sitting at a computer in a cubicle, like hundreds of millions of people around the world, working on a tiny part that’s part of a sub-component that’s part of a component that’s part of a sub-system in one of the hundreds of integrated systems all of which sit for half a decade in digital space only and whenever things do make it to the robots in manufacturing you just don’t care because the classes you take to become an engineer in the first place kill anything resembling creativity, individuality or even basic pride in your work to make you a drone in the system.

There just isn’t any path to realizing that kind of dream anymore. Unless you’re a billionaire willing to start up your own crazy venture. Even then the mook system still applies.

EDIT: took so long to type this I've been beaten on the wider release news. oh well.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:41 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Absolutely fantastic film. If this is really Miyazaki's last feature film he's leaving on a high note.

Best way to sum it up is with this gif:

The movie is literally made of dreams. Jiro's dreams. Caproni's dreams. Junker's dreams. Miyazaki's dreams. Every other persons’ who ever found planes to be beautiful.

All of my imagination :popcorn:

Thank you for the write-up, guys. Very much looking forward to this.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:43 am

Given that this topic is, per se, about Anno voice acting in the film instead of film itself do you guys think I should make a dedicated topic for this in anime subforum for more general film discussion/impressions?

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:14 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:

This is strangely heartwarming.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”