Accessing the site from a tablet

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Accessing the site from a tablet

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:29 pm

Yesterday, I got myself a tablet computer and I have been learning to use it properly. I can access websites as easily as I can on the computer I'm on right now except when I go on the evageeks website. When the page loads, it brings up the headlines as usual, but instead of the usual format, it is in a sort of tabbed list (that's the best way I can describe it) that you can access each individual article. But the important thing to note is that I cannot access the forums at all. It appears that I can access the IRC, but that is about it. Could it be that there isn't a mobile version of the site (I noticed that the banner has the old motto: "Eva unites us all, much like the Olympics" instead of the current one) or am I doing something wrong? I bought it only yesterday, so it could be something I'm doing. Hopefully, I gave all of you enough information to make a reasonable explanation. Thanks in advance for any answers you have.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:13 am

I just use the normal forums view on my iPhone which I get when I go straight to [url]http://forum.evageeks.org[/url] (i.e. not trying to go via the main site). It's perfectly usable, but requires a lot of expanding and contracting to touch links reliably. It does have a mobile viewer for threads that appears as a button in the address bar.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:59 am

I've been using android tablets for casual access for the last couple of years, and I've had no problems with any of the browsers I've used, starting with the default browser on v2.1, various Opera flavours, Dolphin or Chrome.

As pw says, the link-dense nature of the pages (built for mouse rather than touch) can make them a minefield to navigate, but on an 8" tablet (with the same sort of screen area as an iPad mini) it's doable even with stubby fat fingers like mine.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:50 pm

Good news, I figured it out. The site gives me the option to switch to desktop version, and everything comes out normally. So it comes down to my in experience with the thing. Thanks anyway for your posts.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:21 am

That's interesting -- always going direct to the forums, I'd never been offered anything but the normal desktop version. The whole phpBB template set-up doesn't have anywhere obvious for a mobile version to hide, either.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:17 am

The forum itself doesn't have a mobile version, but the wordpress portion does. You can turn it off even without using a non-mobile user-agent.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”