[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [3]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:34 pm

Is it just me, or is the placement of the song 'Fiddle About' in the album Tommy odd? It seems to be about Tommy in his youth, but it's just before 'Pinball Wizard' which is set in Tommy's adulthood, and after he's slept with the Acid Queen and done all sorts of non-childish things.

Actually...if Tommy was a young child in 1921, wouldn't he have been in his fifties by the time of the album's release (which seems to be the era of the last part of the album, considering the mention of New Age philosophy and rock music)?

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:41 pm

Crystal Castles' (Crystal Castles's? I'm not even sure how to punctuate this one) (III) has been out for almost a year and I'm still not sure if the mix just sucks or if they purposely wanted the kicks to mute everything out. Either way, it lessens my enjoyment of what is otherwise a great album.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:21 pm

View Original Postmoonwolf2024 wrote:Just discovered this group called M83 this week. They're a French electronic/alternative band. I heard one of their songs on a show and decided to youtube them. They've got some really cool videos. The song I got was from their 2011 album Hurry Up, We're Dreaming.

I have had their 2008 album Saturdays=Youth for about a year. It is a good record... in most regards, and although I do like listening to it I cannot say I have felt motivated to go out and get their recent record. Favourite song on the album is probably 'We Own the Sky', sadly, the music video for it that was 'chosen' by the band is blatant glorification of the kind of privileged young white indie hipsters that are apparently the market for the band
Voluntary Illusion.

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:13 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:I have had their 2008 album Saturdays=Youth for about a year. It is a good record... in most regards, and although I do like listening to it I cannot say I have felt motivated to go out and get their recent record. Favourite song on the album is probably 'We Own the Sky', sadly, the music video for it that was 'chosen' by the band is blatant glorification of the kind of privileged young white indie hipsters that are apparently the market for the band

Yeah....that video is horrible. But, in my opinion, most are no matter which group it is. That's why I was surprised with the ones from the newer album. That particular song didn't strike a cord in me either. I checked out some of their older songs, but this album seems to be their better one. Probably because it's not as electronic as others. Not everybody can create something that doesn't sound generic.

Speaking of electronic, I've also been listening to Lamb. They've got that abstract, ambient, drum bass sound coupled with those beautiful waspy vocals. I think most people have heard Gorecki, which is their most popular song( and my personal favorite). But they have others like Heaven or What Sound. They're very refreshing ^_^
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:29 am

I was ay the Cambridge Rock Festival last weekend -- not being a major event, most of the bands were of "never heard of them" or "blimey! are they still going?" tier; but that didn't stop the music being good to listen to while chilling with friends, in what turned out to be very kind weather.

Up and coming band the Temperance Movement sounded as good live as in their airplay on Planet Rock, and old stagers Praying Mantis and Eddie and the Hotrods still had it in them. The discoveries -- bands I would listen to more than just sitting out on a summer afternoon because I was already at the festival -- were Austrian band Cornerstone, prog metal band HeKz, and old style rockers Mostly Autumn.

The highlight, though, were NWOBHM heroes Magnum -- who I last saw back in 1980 when they were supporting Blue Öyster Cvlt.

And while I'm talking music for once, a plug for my little brother's current band.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Madonna
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Madonna » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:53 pm

For those who are interested, Lady Gaga's new song is on iTunes, it's also uploaded to her YouTube account:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bHhpufKRjs

Overall, I like the song, the way she sings on it is an obvious homage to David Bowie. At the same time, I don't think it's anything fresh or exciting.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:11 am

I preferred "Aura."

Gaga was really going to need something more distinct than that. I guess I can see why it was a single, and I do like it overall, but I feel like it would work best as just an album cut. "Edge of Glory," this is not.
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing

Madonna
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Madonna » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:16 am

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:I preferred "Aura."

Gaga was really going to need something more distinct than that. I guess I can see why it was a single, and I do like it overall, but I feel like it would work best as just an album cut. "Edge of Glory," this is not.

I liked Burqa/Aura better than this too, it's definitely more "art pop" than Applause is.

Also Edge of Glory is one of her best songs, such a pop masterpiece.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:08 am

C84 day 2 uploads are already online.

Just a little heads-up for anyone who cares

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:17 am

Gorguts - Colored Sands. Man, if everything up to and including "The Battle of Chamdo" had been released as an EP, it would have been the EP of the fucking decade. As it is though, it's undoubtedly rad music but just...way too much. It's not even that the second half of the album is particularly bad, but that after four tracks of headfuck and a string outro, it feels like a chore to get back into the headfuck parts. Obscura kind of has this problem too, where there's very few songs that are actually bad but the album itself is twice as big as it needs to be.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:10 pm

Shpongle have announced a new live date. :heart: not in the states, obviously, but still awesome

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:00 pm

Listening to "Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe" by Kendrick Lamar at full volume.

Still not loud enough.

This song is too beautiful.

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:43 pm

I've been a little depressed lately, but listening to Richard Cheese just perked me right up. He does these jazzy/swing covers of popular songs.

Here are some samples

Me So Horny
Rape Me
Somebody told me This one has me rolling on the floor every time :lol:
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:25 pm

I've been listening to some of the soundtracks from Last Exile. Most of them were done by a group called Dolce Triade. It's pretty soothing to listen to.

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:26 am

Chris Cornell's album Scream is pretty cool. It's got an R&B sound as it was co-produced with Timbaland. So it's way different from what he'd normally do. I saw some negative reviews, but I'm loving this album. To be honest, this man could sing the ABC's and I'd love it :tongue:

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:43 am

View Original Postmoonwolf2024 wrote:Chris Cornell's album Scream is pretty cool. It's got an R&B sound as it was co-produced with Timbaland. So it's way different from what he'd normally do. I saw some negative reviews, but I'm loving this album. To be honest, this man could sing the ABC's and I'd love it :tongue:

While there is no denying that the man has an incredible voice, he is just simply more suited for the rock/metal niche due to the quality of his voice. Sticking him into a pop/mainstream outlet is a waste of his immense talents. Incidentally, i had a chance to go see Soundgarden last year and i didn't go :(

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:53 pm

View Original PostÆnimal wrote:While there is no denying that the man has an incredible voice, he is just simply more suited for the rock/metal niche due to the quality of his voice. Sticking him into a pop/mainstream outlet is a waste of his immense talents. Incidentally, i had a chance to go see Soundgarden last year and i didn't go :(

Not really a waste. It was probably something he wanted to try out and see where it went. I think most artist get tired of doing the same thing all the time. Personally, I think he pulled it off just fine. He's got that soulful voice so it blended really well. Plus, I'm a big fan of Timbaland too. He's an amazing producer.

It sucks that you didn't get to see them. I missed my Deftones concert earlier this year so I understand the feeling. :boohoo:

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:13 am

Ga-In - "Bloom"

I love this so much. Sure, the song is a fun little 70's funk throwback track, but the video... ballsy. It's supposed to be a testament to the female orgasm.

This is considered "feminist" by Kpop standards. I actually showed it to a very feminist friend of mine and she quite appreciated it as well.

But it really is a nice little funky track.

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:11 am

I want those back up dancers :ting:

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:15 am

Anne // Whirl

God damn it, I love it when split releases are perfectly balanced on each side. Usually the listener will always end up favouring one over the other, but these tracks are stellar gems from both. I've probably listened to 'Pet Names' a dozen times today already though.

Also, stoked for the new Anne LP (Or is it an EP?) out in October; Jerusalem.

New post: Just got turned onto Incendiary...

"Because feeling down is what keeps me alive."
http://incendiary.bandcamp.com/album/crusade-lp

Heavy/metallic 90s hardcore worship in the same vein as Foundation, et al.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”