What anime are you watching right now? May-Nov '13

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:56 pm

View Original Postnervshatter wrote:Haha dat Haqua indeed, also dat role-reversal with the tomboy(Yui).

My friend and I were just sitting there going "TRAPS. TRAPS EVERYWHERE." the entire time. It was newer for him than me since I've been reading the manga, but it was still hilarious. :lol: I'm still kinda miffed they decided to skip straight to the Goddess Arc, ignoring all those other conquests....
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

nervshatter
Banned

Postby nervshatter » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:22 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:My friend and I were just sitting there going "TRAPS. TRAPS EVERYWHERE." the entire time. It was newer for him than me since I've been reading the manga, but it was still hilarious. :lol: I'm still kinda miffed they decided to skip straight to the Goddess Arc, ignoring all those other conquests....

They probably figured it would be too much the same as the last arcs, so they decided to skip to the Goddess Arc which is doing something new. I do agree it was disappointing that they skipped so much, considering that 2 characters that made their appearance in the skipped chapters play a big role in this arc, also I wanted to see that body-swapping chapter in animu form dammit!!! :argh:. Oh well guess I'll just read up on the manga as well.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:14 am

View Original Postnervshatter wrote:Stella C3 Ep 5: Very fun show, love the movie/historical references.

Apparently the Japanese didn't mind referencing such a famous photo of an American victory. And it was on an island, too.

Just wrapped up A Certain Magical Index II in 4 days, had a 10 episode marathon yesterday. ^_^ The series gets violent with all that magic and esper powers flying around and has the fan service to boot. And Oriana Thomson, thank the lord for her.
SPOILER: Show
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

Postby moonwolf2024 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:56 am

Finally got my Free! fix this week. Motherfuckers had the nerve to keep me from my drug last week. :rant:

Anyway, another exciting episode. They're finally starting to do some true character development by going into their past. Seems Makoto had some issue with the ocean. Looking forward to next week.

Oh....and I just love those images after the preview. They're so cute.

Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:53 pm

ImageWell, that was a wild ride. I went from disliking it to loving it in the space of three episodes. The designs are great, and the story picked up at episode three- I think that was what really kept me into it. Of course, episodes 9 and 10 did turn into a somewhat mindfuck, so I'll be analyzing those for a while. All in all, though, watching this show was a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:26 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Well, that was a wild ride. I went from disliking it to loving it in the space of three episodes. The designs are great, and the story picked up at episode three- I think that was what really kept me into it. Of course, episodes 9 and 10 did turn into a somewhat mindfuck, so I'll be analyzing those for a while. All in all, though, watching this show was a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

Now let's just hope Hirano-san decides to do something else -o-;

Seriously, though; you must at least read the manga at some point- Top 10 manga imo.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:29 pm

I finished rewatching 0079 a week ago (watched the third movie too) and it made me remember a couple things. The first was how late the concept of newtypes was introduced, and the second was how I liked the ending a lot more than any other part of the show.

I also have a renewed appreciation for Zeta now that I'm about 20 episodes into my second viewing. The soundtrack is great, the suits start getting really interesting (I love the rick dias and a lot of the mobile armors) and Kamille is cementing his status as my favorite gendum protagonist.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:47 pm

Kamille is about the only memorable gendum protagonist, to be honest. He mostly irritates me, but he's a step up from Amuro, at least...
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:55 pm

Amuro can seem like a prickly asshole on the exterior but he's a good guy and I like his character.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

Postby moonwolf2024 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:06 am

Danganronpa Ep. 6

Wow....they really got things going in this episode. I knew Ishimaru and Yamada were going to die, but I didn't think they'd get there so fast. I also assumed they'd get to their past a little later. But it's cool. I already know who the culprits are so it'll be interesting to see the next trial.
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:47 pm

While this show continues to be full of WTF???, Hajime is quickly becoming one of my favorite anime characters in the history of forever. She lampshades everything, asks all the obvious questions, breaks with convention at the drop of a hat, and is nice without being stupid. Her can-do attitude and "we're gonna help, right? Let's go!" demeanor are positively infectious. I shall be very, very cross if she winds up getting crushed later on down the line in order to make a point (unlikely, but no one saw ep 7 of TTGL coming either so you never know).

Still interested to see where this show goes, but I no longer care about the particulars. I'm just in it to see where Hajime takes us.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:14 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I'm just in it to see where Hajime takes us.
Agree 100%. I liked her to begin with but she's been fantastic since episode 2; proactive and understanding and generally smarter than everyone around her. Her defusing the MESS situation is a pretty good example of all those things.

Next episode is set up to be great, I'm hype.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:41 am

Gatchaman Crowds is set out to be one heck of a deepfag fest with its self-awareness of the genre's conventions and the mind-bending scenario. I'm curious to see what sort of thematic conclusion/punchline Nakamura has in store for us.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Practice
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Practice » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:48 am

Was finally able to start FMA Brotherhood. Had to wait until I finished my school semester because my brother wanted to watch it together.

Also a quick question I figured I'd tack on here instead of starting a new thread. What is a resource that I can use to find any and all North American anime releases? As in, official US DVD and Blu-Ray releases as opposed to imports? I've looked around, but maybe my Google-fu just isn't strong enough.
Phil 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:51 am

Just watched Summer Wars and I could not help but notice the similarities between this film and the second Digimon Adventure movie Our War Game. Then again, since it's Mamoru Hosoda directing both, it's to be expected. The character designs were very good and the family drama had me on the edge of my seat.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:37 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:Gatchaman Crowds is set out to be one heck of a deepfag fest with its self-awareness of the genre's conventions and the mind-bending scenario. I'm curious to see what sort of thematic conclusion/punchline Nakamura has in store for us.

Seriously?
I watched 2 episodes and just couldn't sit through it

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:53 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:While this show continues to be full of WTF???, Hajime is quickly becoming one of my favorite anime characters in the history of forever. She lampshades everything, asks all the obvious questions, breaks with convention at the drop of a hat, and is nice without being stupid. Her can-do attitude and "we're gonna help, right? Let's go!" demeanor are positively infectious.

Really? I just went through all the episodes released so far and it was very underwhelming, if anything Hajime felt a bit generic in my opinion.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:53 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Seriously?
I watched 2 episodes and just couldn't sit through it

It helps if you don't think of it as Gatchaman. Just view it as the tao of Hajime and it works great (Rui is also proving interesting).

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:Really? I just went through all the episodes released so far and it was very underwhelming, if anything Hajime felt a bit generic in my opinion.

Can't agree at all. The plot is indeed underwhelming, but Hajime is anything but generic. I hated the Mess business at the beginning, but Hajime's resolution to that affair caught my attention and she's been an utter delight ever since. I can't think of anyone in anime who credibly matches her.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:35 pm

If Hajime is generic then I'm a banana.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:03 pm

She's an ultra optimistic main character who wants to help and be friends with everyone, I don't know about anime but I've seen countless characters like this in cartoons, Hajime has the same personality traits of a carebear. Her oblivious nature, while a different trope, is not exactly new either.

Return to “Old Stickies”