[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [2]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:20 pm

VOLTO! - Incitare If Return to Forever and Porcupine Tree met at a nightclub, ate some ecstasy, and had a one night stand, VOLTO! would be the result of their communion. Featuring John Ziegler of Bubbatron, Lance Morrison of Don Henley's touring band, and of course, Danny Carey (!!!) at the helm, there is no doubt that such a gathering of incredible musicians is going to sound incredible. But does it hold? And will it stand the test of the time a year, 5 years, 10 years from now? Seeing as the prog-fusion niche has only grown in the last few years, i would like to think so. Considering that this is only the band's debut album, future releases will surely be the stuff of dreams.

Standout tracks: "I'm Calm Now", "Meltdown", "Tocino"

Shpongle - Museum of Consciousness - The follow-up to 2009's Ineffable Mysteries From Shpongleland offers relatively few sonic innovations, instead opting for the familiar and tried-and-true sound found on Shpongle's previous endeavors; this is not to say that Museum is a bad album, no sirree bob. Rather, juxtaposed with the zany, lysergic, and upbeat Ineffable Mysteries, the whole of Museum presents a darkly serene and calming picture. Of course, Simon Posford's brilliant arranging and instrumentation fits in nicely with Raja Ram's whimsical flute and deliciously hilarious storytelling as is the norm with all Shpongle albums, yet, somehow, despite initially having a sound reminiscent of the earlier, mellower tracks, the album puts out an identity that is wholly unique to itself while retaining the psychedelic wondrous-ness and epiphanic euphoria that is Shpongle. This may not be the best album Shpongle has ever made, but it certainly holds its ground and is one of my favorite albums of the year.

Standout tracks: "Tickling the Amygdala", "How the Jellyfish Jumped Up the Mountain"

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:00 am

So In Utero is getting repressed in September as something of a 20th anniversary commemoration.
Only really worth mention because it seems the album as Albini originally mixed it will be included in the extras - Something I've been wanting to hear for years and years now.

I've always lain my gripes with this album at the feet of the record company's interference and consequential extensive remixing prior to release. Will be interesting to finally hear the difference(s), because I know in my mind; I've built up this unreleased version as something of a massive seething beast of ugly radio/chart-hating heaviness.

Always loved Albini's work.
Always.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:25 pm

Madeon - Technicolor

Finally, something new by this guy!
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:58 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:So In Utero is getting repressed in September as something of a 20th anniversary commemoration.

Not to mention that there will apparently be 70 bonus tracks on the super deluxe edition...

That was my favorite album back in middle school and it still holds up to this day, so I'm hoping to check it out.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”