Evangelion 3.0 Screening at San Francisco Film Festival

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:50 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Either way, who cares. The Oscars are just... bleh. Who won again last year?

La France!
With The Artist!

But I only remember that because it was a French film and because Jean Dujardin became the first French actor to win an Oscar mind you... -o-;
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:45 pm

Tickets for the first screening on July 27 are sold out. I just remembered it today for the first time in a couple weeks and hadn't bought one yet. Yeah, I head up my ass and wasn't expecting them to sell out already for this screening. :doh:

So instead I will be going a week later on August 4, Sunday, also at 11. Would have much preferred to go to the first screening since it is the same weekend as the J-Pop Summit Festival and for the bragging rights, but after thinking about it and deciding that I would kick myself more for not going period, decided to make the most of the situation. I did attempt to buy tickets for July 27 by changing the screening codes for the buy URL but the purchase would not go through and was spitting out a message that the number of tickets is more than the event allows. :shrug:
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:41 am

Looks like the Eva 3.0 tickets are sold out, except for July 31st : http://www.funimation.com/lee/blog/j-pop-summit-festival-and-anime-iowa-this-weekend/7802928
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Snowtroopa
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Snowtroopa » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:15 pm

Went to the screening on the 27th. Pretty awesome to finally see this in a theater, the Funimation subs were definitely different than any of the other ones I've seen.
An interesting thing to note is that the Funimation rep said to look for the American BD/DVD release early next year, don't know if this was official or has been mentioned any where else.

kentshiba
Embryo

Tickets Available

•      
  •      

Postby kentshiba » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:59 pm

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anybody can't go to the July 31st screening (Wed), I'd really like to buy 2 tickets. It'll be great to get to see it in a theater!

Best,
Ken
SF, CA

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:47 pm

You can still buy them online. To guarantee a ticket I would just do this.
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Yadda
Embryo

Eva Q screening in SF: Interesting translation tidbits

•      
  •      

Postby Yadda » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:00 am

Greetings from cloudy, traffic-plagued, cold as all bloody hell San Francisco!

I come to you having just yesterday seen the US screening of Evangelion Q, complete with an official subtitled translation! Now, I'm not sure if the translation I saw was final or not, but I noted something...interesting, when compared to the fanmade translations floating around the internet.

Now, we all know about the 'Failures of Infinity' Kaworu mentions in the Main Shaft of Central Dogma, correct?

Well, that isn't the translation used in the screening I saw.

He referred to them as 'ones who failed to become one with the infinite.'

Now, I don't quite remember, but I also think he referred to the cluster-f that was the aftermath of Third Impact as 'the infinite' as well.

Food for thought, I guess.

Anyone else who saw one of the three screenings here in SF have anything to share? And if not, opinions on this?
God's in his heaven, and to be honest everything's pretty much screwed.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:43 am

I too was there yesterday and it was my 3rd viewing of 3.0. Given what happens in it having this advantage helped as I did notice more things, such as Mari's failure to get into orbit in time, so she was placed in a support role. I also saw a sub error at one point but I forget exactly where, they were missing an "I" in a statement. I came away with a greater appreciation for the film and was glad that I got to experience it theatrically as it was meant to be seen.

I estimate that the theater was about 90% full. The people on either side of me had not seen 3.0 before at all. The audience for the most part was pretty good, some laughter at Shinji's processed food at Nerv and Kaworu's read between the lines statements. Most people stuck around during the credits for the trailer. Speaking of which, I went back and looked at the 1.0 and 2.0 trailers. 1.0's is largely accurate but 2.0's is quite off, as the wiki notes. Afterwards I had lunch with the guy on my left and we talked a bit about Eva and anime. It was interesting because although he is Japanese but studied here, he did not get into Eva until about 4 years ago. There are also the references, both cultural and pop culture, that he noticed.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”