Translation of Evangelion: 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TruthfulLie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:43 pm

I agree. As far as I know, it's usually up the distributor of the country in question to provide the subtitle for the imported film and from looks of it, they usually do not get access to the script. With that being said, I've seen a lot of movies that was being mistranslated by the distributors. Even the very film we talk about here, Evangelion NTE 3.0, had many mis-translated parts in its official release when I watched back in S.Korea. Mind you that it wasn't just some screening for special event of sort, it ran for weeks. Also the script from BD was already available at the time of release, yet they made few translation errors. So this may not be the best place to find clarification.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:40 am

Well, I'm not pretending that this translation holds the absolute truth, it's just that since it's the first official translation of 3.0 to date, I though it would be interesting to pick up the most interesting lines, the ones that were controversial here some time ago and which some still continue to be debated.

What would be interesting is to compare with the official English translation once it get out, for example when it will be screened in the Japan Film Festival of San Francisco at the end of this month/beginning of August. Maybe someone could do the same thing to make a comparison?

And finally, as part 3 will show you, the distributor did took some liberties with the dialogs... :wink:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TruthfulLie » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:17 am

S.Korea had their official release back in April and shown till end of June, so it's really not the first. (They have their BD release in a month.) As for the JFF in SF, will it involve the US distributor? If they aren't involved, it's probably going to use some subtitle made for that specific screening not the "official translation" that will eventually be on BD/DVD for US release.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:30 am

I didn't knew that official S.Korean subs already existed, well then this screening was the first official translation in a Western language.

By the way, do you have examples of these errors in translations in the official S.Korean dub?
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TruthfulLie » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:45 am

I can't remember word for word details since I saw it back in April. I saw the film several times but simply ignored the subtitles after the first viewing because mistranslated parts kept bothering me. There weren't too many but there were few in there. I'd rather wait till next month for the official BD then perhaps we can get our hands on first "official non-Japanese subtitle." and see how things differ.

But again, Korean is a bit different in the sense they essentially have the same or very similar language structure when forming sentences. So there aren't too much of change from one language to another to make much of comparison really. But this is always plus for me when watching anything in Japanese with Korean subtitles.

P.S. Was the French screening some special event of sort? or was it released like a regular movies? On on totally random note, I miss Paris.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:13 am

Yes, the screening was a special event organized by the distributor of Evangelion(among other animes) in France : Dybex.
That was actually a marathon of the three Rebuild movies, and Dybex is planning to do it in others theater in other cities of France.

Even though animes and mangas are fairly popular in France, animes don't get screened in theater, except the Ghibli movies or for special events usually organized by a distributor.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:38 pm

Just a note, Misato is Lt Col in 1.0 and promoted (off-screen) to Col in 2.0. It's Asuka who's Captain (of the European Air Force) in 2.0. When I watched 3.33, I assumed that Misato and Ritsuko's ranks of Captain and Vice-Captain were Naval ranks for the Wunder.

NGE is when Misato is first Captain then later promoted to Major.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:53 pm

I think this is important enough to be reposted here:

About Sakura's infamous "Really, give us a break!" phrase, I just confirmed with my Japanese friend that UTW's translation is correct, as odd as it sounds. The expression "勘弁" (kanben) is only ever used in that context, and it's very casual.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:56 am

Great post ElMariachi! Keep them coming! I for one am enjoying seeing how NME got translated into French (I studied the language :tongue: ).

I don't think non-English translations are to be disregarded, some things simply don't translate well into English and by taking a look at the rendition of unclear lines in other languages could clear up some ambiguities.

I could do the same with the official Portuguese and Spanish translations if they get released and are direct translations from the original Japanese.

I think that's just the key of it, direct translations, if we get a Japanese to French translation or Japanese to Portuguese or Japanese to Italian or to Spanish, and so on... direct translations from Japanese will always be relevant, now if we are talking about a Japanese-to-English-to-French translation that's another story.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:21 pm

Well thanks, I will send an email to the distributor in France to see how they made their translation, with some chance they will respond!

Anyway, time for the part 3 of my report, unfortunately, most of my notes about it are unreadable, so I will transcribe them by memory :

3/ What the fuck did I just read?!

That was very gay, indeed!

It looks like the French translation team took all the gay subtext and Q and played to turn it to eleven, even between Asuka and Mari!

While Mari's nicknames for Asuka are kept basically the same, variant for "Princess" like "your Highness" or "you Majesty", Asuka gets more... intimate with Mari, with various nicknames turning around the terms of the glasses, like "four-eyes" or "bespectacled", she added various sweet names like adorée or chérie, which means adored or... honey. For real.
Just stop and think about it, pictures Asuka, Captain Fucking Asuka calling Mari "ma binoclarde adorée" or "quatres-yeux chérie" : "my adored bespectacled" or "four-eyed honey"! :bigeyes:

But that's nothing in front of Kaworu, here the translation team obviously got their kick in making almost all of his lines when directly talking to Shinji reeks with double meaning!

For example, when they are playing the duet, instead of saying "It's amazing what two people can achieve.", that made him say "Créer quelque chose à deux est si bon", which translate as "Creating something at two is so good."
Another one, even better : when Kaworu and Shinji are looking for the stars, in the GitHub version he said Lying here together is nice., the Frenches translated it as "J'aime être couché à tes côtés"... "I like/love to be lying down by your side"!

:|

Goddamned I was half expecting him to tear Shinji's clothes and take him on the spot! :lol:

Evangelion 3.0 : Black Lagoon Edition

French people swears a lot, that's a fact, and swearing is a lot more accepted in the medias than in the USA for example. We don't have any censoring of swearing with a beeping sound, and when a foreing work is subbed or dubbed in French, light swearing like "damn" get translated as "merde" or "putain", which translates as "shit" and "fuck" respectively, and boy how much Asuka is saying those words in 3.0!

During Operation US I counted at least five or six iteration of a "shit" or a "fuck", in fact almost half of her phrases where punctuated with a swear! And when the Code-04B appeared and was getting away by sliding on the reflective bands, she even called the thing "petit con" which could be translated as "you cunt", "asshole" or "motherfucker", your choice! :D

And Mari isn't left behind, when Mark.09 escapes with Shinji, her last mine "At least say hi, damn it!" get translated as "Et la cordialité alors, salope!",which translates as "And what about cordiality, you bitch!"

But the big prize of the biggest insult goes to none other than Shinji himself, who when expressing how fed up he was to be ignored by everyone when Rei "telepathically" called for him, simply said "Enough" in ENglish, he got to be a lot more juicy in French, answering to Sakura's pleas to come with her with a magnificent "Allez tous vous faire foutre.", which translates as a glorious "Go all fuck yourselves."

Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor(and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari if the nicknames she uses are any indication!), Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to got fuck themselves!

La France! :headbang:

And with that ends my report about the official French subtitles of Rebuild of Evangelion, I hope you all enjoyed the ride, you even got to learn some French swearing! :lol:
Last edited by ElMariachi on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:02 pm

Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor(and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari if the nicknames she uses are any indication!), Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to got fuck themselves!

La France!

You rule. You've not only made my day with your earlier revelation about Kwarou, with this gem you've made my signature too!

I think I am getting a mancrush! :bigeyes:
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:55 am

View Original PostJurrasic wrote:I think I am getting a mancrush! :bigeyes:

...On him because of what he reported that other people wrote and made decisions on?

Seems like some corollary to "don't shoot the messenger" is in order here.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:54 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:...On him because of what he reported that other people wrote and made decisions on?

Seems like some corollary to "don't shoot the messenger" is in order here.

Just making a joke, Monkie. ;) But honestly, ElMari has been a crazy-active poster here as long as I have been first lurking and then contributing. Maybe sometimes a bit TOO active almost, but he's come up with lots of good insight over time, real good info this time, and a summary that made me laugh my ass off and sig, that's all.

You also contribute great insights, and I also appreciate all the work you do with trying to keep threads clean, and therefore have been trying myself to keep em clean. And hell, you are one of only two people I've ever PM'ed on this forum so don't worry, I man-wuvs you too. :tongue:
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:55 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I didn't knew that official S.Korean subs already existed, well then this screening was the first official translation in a Western language.

There was a thread about it awhile back: http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/14097/NO-SPOILERS-30-to-screen-in-China-and-Korea-in-April/ I don't know if 3.0 actually screened in China or not. "China and Korea" is how the article translated for me.

That's pretty hilarious about the colorful translations, but at the same time it bothers me because translations should be as accurate as possible. It reminds me of the '90s anime dubs & subs process (fitting mouth-flaps over accuracy of translations).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TruthfulLie » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:53 pm

Alright so I remember how the Korean subtitle translated 'エヴァの呪縛' as '에바의 저주' which translates to 'Curse of Eva.' It was pointed out by many as one of the mistranslated word. But funny enough, most English translation use (and it's also referred as such in this forum) 'Curse of Eva' as the choice of translation. It isn't actually too far off, but the original word describes more specific state of a curse.

Word 'jubaku' isn't the usual word used to describe a typical 'curse.' It's usually 呪い 'noroi'. The choice to use 'jubaku' over 'noroi' obviously means that they want to portray specificity of the curse itself. Here's how a Japanese dictionary defines the word 'jubaku'.

まじないをかけて動けなくすること。心理的な強制によって、人の自由を束縛すること。

It roughly translates to
To get stuck by being under a spell. To bind one's freedom by psychological force.

So, it actually does mean spell/curse, but 'jubaku means' something specific. A state of being bound by a spell. Koreans use Kanji as well so the word simply translates into their language. It's actually even pronounced similar, 'jubak' But I don't know if there is such word for English. Perhaps some wizardry lingo could be used here? I Don't know or maybe there isn't any word to replace 'curse' and that it's one of those things that need translation note.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:03 pm

I can't think of a word that expresses that better in English than "curse". "Spell" could also sort-of do it, but is far too easy to interpret in a different way, so would be a bad choice. "Geas" might serve better, but is not widely enough used to be appropriate.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

StratoSakuya...AF
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby StratoSakuya...AF » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:27 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I can't think of a word that expresses that better in English than "curse". "Spell" could also sort-of do it, but is far too easy to interpret in a different way, so would be a bad choice. "Geas" might serve better, but is not widely enough used to be appropriate.

inb4 Shinji Lamperouge :lol:

It would do the anime/manga/all of us a big favor if 4.0 was a hook.
SO THERE I WAS BEING KUBO, WHEN THE EDITORS CAME IN AND WERE LIKE "YOU NEED TO DO MORE THAN PANELS OF WHITE PILLARS AND BLACKGROUNDS!" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" SO THEY WERE LIKE "WELL HOW ABOUT SOMEBODY DYING?" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" AND I MADE LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY. I LOVE MY LIFE.

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:12 pm

I just got back from seeing the Fantasia International Film Festival's screening of Evangelion 3.0 in Montreal, Quebec. From past experience, I know that the translations used by the festival are different from what Funimation ends up using, so I decided to share a few tidbits from Fantasia's English subtitles, in case anyone is curious...

Asuka's nickname for Mari was translated as "Four-eyed Crony". Ugh!

Mari's nickname for Asuka was usually translated as "Your Highness", but they went with "the Princess" when she was talking to Shinji towards the end.

Gaki Shinji was translated as "Brat Shinji".

References to killing gods were mostly translated as "deicide", except for the part about Wunder being the ship of hope, where they used "the power to slay gods".

When Evangelion Mark.09 was attacking the Wunder and Shinji got fed up with the Wille staff ignoring him, he said "Screw this"! (Personally, I think the GitHub translation's use of "Enough" works better.)

I can't remember the exact wording they used for Sakura's "Seriously, give us a break" line, but it was something like "Seriously, I couldn't handle that happening again." (If anybody here was at the Fantasia screening and remembers the exact words, feel free to chime in!)

Asuka called one of the Mk. 04s (I forget which one) a "prick" during the outer space battle. And later in the movie when the Mark.09 escaped with Shinji, Mari called the Mark.09 "bitch". -o-;

When Fuyutsuki explained about what happened to Yui, he told Shinji that "your memories were wiped".

During the battle in Lilith's chamber, Asuka said "Shut up and die!" (Bleah, too extreme! EDIT: Just so nobody gets confused, what I meant is that the translation is too extreme; I'm not accusing Asuka of being too extreme.)

Eva-02' was translated as "Unit-02 Improved". Um... yeah.

Kaworu's last words were translated as "Don't look so sad. We'll meet again, Shinji." ;_;

I think those were probably the most interesting/fun bits. If anybody has questions about how a particular line was translated, feel free to ask. However, I mostly wanted to just sit back and enjoy seeing the movie on a big screen, so I didn't take notes and therefore might not remember everything. Anyway, seeing it in a theater was an awesome experience, so I highly recommend going if you get an opportunity!
Last edited by Literary Eagle on Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:41 pm

View Original PostLiterary Eagle wrote:I can't remember the exact wording they used for Sakura's "Seriously, give us a break" line, but it was something like "Seriously, I couldn't handle that happening again." (If anybody here was at the Fantasia screening and remembers the exact words, feel free to chime in!)

It's been confirmed that the correct translation of that line is "Seriously, give us a break!". I talked about it with a Japanese friend of mine, and he said that the phrase "kanbenshite" isn't used outside of that context. Have any of EGF's Japanese-speaking members (symbv and Numbers-kun come to mind) offered input?
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:31 pm

View Original PostLiterary Eagle wrote:Eva-02' was translated as "Unit-02 Improved". Um... yeah.

That's a perfectly acceptable translation for 改.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”