Rebuild's dub

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby The Bastard King » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:46 pm

Reichu wrote:Dub fandom is like worshipping the golden calf, especially in this instance, since NGE is a divinely-inspired work. Take heed, lest Loki show up with his Fecolator and smite all NGE dubbies for their incalcuble sin.

Wait. did you just combine Christian and Norse mythology? o_0
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:03 am

The Bastard King wrote:Wait. did you just combine Christian and Norse mythology? o_0

CASTLEVANIA DID IT!
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby AuthenticM » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:25 am

Back on topic guys.

Am I the only person who's made a conscious effort to think of new VAs for Rebuild? Don't look at other anime shows, take a look at video games. English voice acting is much better in this domain. Take Final Fantasy X, XII, Metal Gear Solid, Suikoden V, and many others. They all have great voice acting, especially Metal Gear Solid which is, in my opinion, the undisputed King of the Hill.
In my case, I refuse to go easy on the ignorant, regardless of degree. Hitler was ignorant. Joshua C. Whatshisface is ignorant. To me, they're in the same category of ignorant and stupid people who should have been left in some isolated corner of the world where they couldn't bother anyone. --The Eva Monkey

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:32 am

K then.

Every role should be played by Crispin Freeman and every character should be replaced with Albedo.

It would be the ultimate anime dub ever.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:54 am

The Bastard King wrote:Wait. did you just combine Christian and Norse mythology? o_0

Go watch "Dogma". Then it will all make sense.

Authentic M wrote:Am I the only person who's made a conscious effort to think of new VAs for Rebuild?

I'm not predisposed towards anyone. I'm the sort of person who -- if by some accident of fate I was in charge of casting -- wouldn't even want to know the identity of an auditioneer before hearing and judging their performance.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Millions Livio
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Millions Livio » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:05 pm

Authentic M wrote:Am I the only person who's made a conscious effort to think of new VAs for Rebuild?

I'm not predisposed towards anyone. I'm the sort of person who -- if by some accident of fate I was in charge of casting -- wouldn't even want to know the identity of an auditioneer before hearing and judging their performance.[/quote]
I agree; I would judge by how they protray the character and how well they do it. Not how many "good" games or show's they have been in. Nobody gives a damn who is doing the voice when it comes to dubs, just how well they do it (unless you want a certain persons actual voice, but that's besides the point).

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:22 pm

Katayoku no Tenshi wrote:But if Ogata doesn’t return there’ll be hell to pay, although we must think of the poor woman’s voice. How many more blood curdling screams can she have left in her?

I think Ogata's got some life left in her but I guess we'll see. ;)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

zeaven
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby zeaven » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:00 pm

I guess it's not possible to create a thread that in any way relates to dubbing without spawning a massive dub-sub war.

Good work, everyone.

Did no one think of the possibility that in Anno's new vision, the characters may have undergone some personality changes? They might need new seiyuu with different vocal styles to reflect this (nevermind that there are only 3 different vocal styles in anime these days -- the gruff male, the sleazy I YELL A LOT male, and female.)
Underneath it all, we feel so small
The heavens fall, but still we crawl...

AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby AuthenticM » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:14 pm

zeaven wrote:Did no one think of the possibility that in Anno's new vision, the characters may have undergone some personality changes?

I doubt that. There would be too much of an uproar by the fans. Even if the characters undergo subtle personality changes, the original seiyus can very well adapt their voice to follow that.
In my case, I refuse to go easy on the ignorant, regardless of degree. Hitler was ignorant. Joshua C. Whatshisface is ignorant. To me, they're in the same category of ignorant and stupid people who should have been left in some isolated corner of the world where they couldn't bother anyone. --The Eva Monkey

chiefen
Tunniel
Tunniel

^_^ \/,,

Postby chiefen » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:41 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:
ThroneofDravaris wrote:Get back Rei, Gendo and EoE Kaworu.

Actually, as far as I know these few are the least likely to reprise their roles, so yeah; might as well go for an all new cast.

Indeed. Though dub Kaworu will never be as good as the original, I think Gendo and Rei's dub voices were better than their JP ones. *puts up flame barrier*

NGE, N. G. E., N. G. Evangelion, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

NOT Eva or EVA. Please. >_<

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:47 pm

AuthenticM wrote:I doubt that. There would be too much of an uproar by the fans. Even if the characters undergo subtle personality changes, the original seiyus can very well adapt their voice to follow that.

See also: various "Evangelion" computer games, and the whole concept of "acting".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Houndour
Adam

Postby Houndour » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:13 pm

I'm watching the series again with the original Japanese voice acting, and so far the majority of it is better. However, it may just be because it's a language familiar to me, but Misato and Asuka seem to have more distinguishing qualities to their voices in the English dub. I can't explain it, but their Japanese voice acting just seem sorta, for lack of a better word, bland.

Millions Livio
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Millions Livio » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:56 pm

Houndour wrote:I'm watching the series again with the original Japanese voice acting, and so far the majority of it is better. However, it may just be because it's a language familiar to me, but Misato and Asuka seem to have more distinguishing qualities to their voices in the English dub. I can't explain it, but their Japanese voice acting just seem sorta, for lack of a better word, bland.
Wait until you've seen all of the series and EOE, I think you'll change your mind.

virg
Embryo

Postby virg » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:54 pm

Tokpile Quohog wrote:Well, I'm not going to argue against the obvious voice talents of the MGS team, however, how many of us really care about the english dub?

I really don't mind how they do the dubbing, though having good dubs might help bring others into the series and thats not a bad thing (most of the time). So if they can get really good people to do the english dub, that'd be awesome, but if not, I'm not really losing anything.

i'd personally prefer to watch the movie with an english dub.. as much as i LOVE watching movies like 'hero' etc that are best watched with subtitles, i liked the eva show with the english dub.. and i hope there's an english dub for the movies coming out! I've been busting to watch the movie, and i feel that if I'm reading subtitles, I'll miss the amazing detail of the evas!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/greekopoulos/vblogssig1.jpg

I'm from Australia.. because we live on the bum-end of the Earth.. forgive us if we get
shit last..

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:16 pm

They redubbed Akira. Evangelion should not be an issue.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:26 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:They redubbed Akira. Evangelion should not be an issue.

What's all this, now?

That original Akira dub was some funny shit. Although Pioneer's retake is one of the few dubs I will actually listen to of my own volition.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:26 pm

Houndour wrote:I can't explain it, but their Japanese voice acting just seem sorta, for lack of a better word, much much better, and not at all like the middle-school-drama-club-quality English voice acting.

Fixed!
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Millions Livio
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Millions Livio » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:37 pm

Reichu wrote:That original Akira dub was some funny shit. Although Pioneer's retake is one of the few dubs I will actually listen to of my own volition.

The little kid's voices were so annoying I almost stopped watching on my first time watching Akira.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:40 pm

Reichu wrote:What's all this, now?

There is no sane reason why the old dub team should be reunited. The precendent has been set.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Fearthebait » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:46 pm

With all due respect, the old dub was great, but with a new rebuild, they probably want a new cast.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”