4th Film Info (READ OP) + Speculation

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:32 am

View Original PostJurrasic wrote:I figure the ending will be something that cannot be easily categorized as an outright negative or positive, but will be something fucking strange and probably disturbing as all hell. :um:

Well, that was what EOE ended up being after all.

I just had the idea today that perhaps in Final we'll see Asuka supplant the Misato role from EOE, trying to get Shinji to get his ass into gear. In a sense she's already on the path to this at the end of 3.0.

Maybe the "adult kiss" will be given by Asuka this time around.....plus it'll make LAS fans cum buckets :wink:
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Excess_Velocity
Embryo

Postby Excess_Velocity » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:05 am

Final ends with Shinji starting Thirteenth Impact while having a three-way with Asuka and Mari while Giant Naked Rei Q watches and a heavy metal version of Komm: Susser Todd plays as Shinji discovers the power of the AT field/his mom and goes full gurren laggan mode and saves all the girls who he wil have lots of sex with.

source: My dad works for Gainax you guys

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:10 am

View Original PostExcess_Velocity wrote:Final ends with Shinji starting Thirteenth Impact while having a three-way with Asuka and Mari while Giant Naked Rei Q watches and a heavy metal version of Komm: Susser Todd plays as Shinji discovers the power of the AT field/his mom and goes full gurren laggan mode and saves all the girls who he wil have lots of sex with.

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT

Someone ban this clown for spoilers.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:11 am

View Original PostExcess_Velocity wrote:Final ends with Shinji starting Thirteenth Impact while having a three-way with Asuka and Mari while Giant Naked Rei Q watches and a heavy metal version of Komm: Susser Todd plays as Shinji discovers the power of the AT field/his mom and goes full gurren laggan mode and saves all the girls who he wil have lots of sex with.

that... actually sounds super rad :lol:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:19 am

Fortunately, though, Rebuild isn't by Gainax...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Sgt. Griff » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:31 am

^ :lol:

Owned.

Anyways, there'll be some 3 minute scene in which Shinji learns all three movements of the moonlight sonata while instigating four separate impacts while Asuka and Mari drink tea on the ground apparently not doing anything while Ritusko shaves all her hair and the funky glasses store runs out of stock once again.

Jokes aside, I hope it'll be incredibly tragic and completely final. With no chance of any redemption whatsoever.
Leave Shinji alone

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:41 am

View Original PostSgt. Griff wrote:Jokes aside, I hope it'll be incredibly tragic and completely final. With no chance of any redemption whatsoever.

Well, if Anno REALLY wanted to kill fanwankery over the ending of the series he'd leave it very closed ended......aka KILL EM ALL. Or he could do a direct copy/paste of the ending of Be Invoked.

iihieiii
Lilith

Postby iihieiii » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:33 am

View Original PostÆnimal wrote:Am i the only one who doesn't think the ending will be either a downer or a happy ending? i think it will be something completely unexpected, because that's what i got with the Rebuild movies...

And that is something with which i am entirely comfortable :)

True....but should be nice to have some "non-depression" and "non-100%-fuck-up-confusing" this time ;P

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:26 pm

I really hope that the runtime for this movie will be significantly more than 3.0.

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Jurrasic » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:49 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Or he could do a direct copy/paste of the ending of Be Invoked.

My spider sense is tingling......I have a sneaking suspicion this will be the closest guess to what actually happens. :uhh:
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:37 am

Nah, I don't think that FINAL will have an end a la Be Invoked : while it would be a viable solution for the immense wasteland that is now Earth, Anno made in clear in interviews that since the great earthquake that befell in Japan, he changed his view about how destroying a society is a solution to start anew and make a better one.
Besides that would defeat the message of Rebuild that magical reset buttons don't exist and that running away from ones problems don't solve anything, and running to another planet would do both things.

Now I have a though : what if FINAL will be far more hopeful and overall lighter than 3.0?(but not too much, it's still Evangelion!)
Why? Well, one of 3.0's themes beside the ravages of miscommunication is hope, Kaworu is always talking about hope, that it's always present, always, even in the bleakest situations. Even the preview continue the theme by saying that Shinji will learn hope again!

So what if Q was make the most dark, bleak and hopeless possible on purpose to make the viewers feel that everything is already over : the world is in ruins, the bad guys continuously wins no mater what the good guys tries, Shinji constantly fails with catastrophic results when he wants to do what something right.
Hell, some people, even in this very forum, feels that by this point the most merciful thing WILLE could do is to put a bullet between Shinji's eyes to put an end to his suffering, or that WILLE already lost due to the state of the world and should just accept Instrumentality as a lesser evil!

And then in FINAL, we will see that behind the "line of giant white crosses" the world isn't core-ified(maybe the ground is not as fertile as it used to, but it's still habitable), that major cities have survived Third Impact and/or new ones have been created, that mankind is still alive and surviving. Hell, maybe we will even learn that Kaworu was wrong/lied to him and that Shinji is not the responsible of this blood-red world, but that he's punished because of N3I(which is still a major fault) and because his insane plug depth 14 years ago changed him into something else. In short, that the situation isn't as hopeless as what it seemed at first.

That would be an awesome way for Anno to say to don't jump to conclusions and give up so easily, that something can always be done, so stop moping and giving up to fatalism and move your ass!(that goes as for for Shinji than the audience)

And hints that the situation isn't as hopeless as what it seems were already there in 3.0 with the mere existence of the WILLE fleet : it's made of at least four or five aircraft carriers, do you now how many people are needed to operate one of these ships? On average 2.000, and there is the cruisers too, with an average crew of 500 sailors, and the submarines that have between 50 and 200 sailors...
And then there is the Wunder itself, whose main body is at least ten times as big as an aircraft carrier, it wouldn't surprise me if it needs at least a crew of 10.000 people to operate, and that's without even taking into account the personnel for the EVAs and the possible planes it arbors!
So in the end Misato's fleet probably have more than 25.000 people in it! All these people must come from somewhere, besides some of the crew member seems to be in their twenties(Sakura, Midori, Hideki), they must have spend their childhood somewhere where they were safe.
And WILLE not only has a massive fleet(seriously, even the biggest US Navy fleet isn't even half as big as this one, and we don't even know if WILLE doesn't have other fleets elsewhere!), but the logistics to supply it : look at the dozen of choppers at the beginning of the movie, or the neat uniforms everyone is wearing, the rail-gun ammunitions for the Wunder's main canons or the Anti-ATF bullets used by the EVAs, that too must have been built somewhere!

Finally, and that's what would make this speculation really awesome if it's true, is that it would be a nice parallel to Anno's own life : he always projected some of his life to his creation, and in NGE he was completely depressed, only seeing the negative and struggling to even find the motivation to continue.
And now almost 20 years later where he is? He's famous, rich, immensely respected for his creative talent, happily married and, well, happy! In the end, things weren't as bad as how he though, and with time and effort he won through his depression and have now a better life.
EoE paralleled Anno's life in that it was when he began to get out of his depression, and the movie showed it by its bleakness but note of hope in the end with Shinji and Asuka together and the rest of mankind with the possibility to come back... and Rebuild is the continuation of Anno's story, with 3.0 being Anno's NGE and EoE, and FINAL paralleling what came after, how he found hope and made a better life for himself, because happiness is always possible, and Anno would be telling us "see, I did it, so you can do it too!"

So I'm sure that mankind is in a far better state that what Kaworu inferred(it's not a vacation camp, but not Fallout either!), and that FINAL will thoroughly show it to Shinji to make him regain hope and get a hold of himself! And the audience with him!
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:42 am

Words of a noble and a wise man indeed, Mariachi. :huggles:

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:20 pm

I think it's safe to assume 4.0 will travel into some of the darkest territory in the Rebuild story & I don't expect everyone to make it to the finish line - whether it's one pilot or two if a version of that battle from the "Preview" at the end of 3.0 makes it into the film I won't be placing bets on the pilot(s) returning - I also don't think the film will be all encompassing dread & gloom.

High hopes!

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:37 pm

Well, I think too that not everyone will make it to the end : Gendo and Fuyu of course, and then maybe the older members of WILLE(Misato, Ritsuko, Koji, Kaji if he's still alive) sacrificing themselves to give to the next generations a chance.

I don't think Sakura will bite it, she suffered enough and is the incarnation of the hope that the new generations won't be embittered assholes.

Nor ReiQ : the fact that Rei II is still "alive" somewhere make her a "true" clone, someone really different and not Rei II whose soul was put in a new spare body(Rei III), and the end of 3.0 put her on the path of being her own individual person. She was made specifically to create the SF theme of your own identity where you're a clone, see Tsurumaki's interviews in the 2.0 CRC, they planed to make Rei II die at the end of 2.0 to have time to develop Rei III, but it was ditched in favor of Rei II surviving, probably because Rei III IS Rei II.

Mari could eventually die, in a final blaze of glory while destroying dozens of MP-EVAs with a slasher smile!

Asuka... honestly I don't know, she escaped death a lot of times already and seems to be presented as the key for Shinji's future mental state for FINAL, having her killed would destroy him past any point of recovery and be the sign that we are going for another "Komm Susser Tod", the kind of ending Anno admitted he can't enjoy anymore.

Shinji... well he's the hero, but if he really blasted the world, then and heroic sacrifice seems to be the only way to make up for it... but then that would be tantamount of escaping from your problems via death...
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:46 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Mari could eventually die

Why must you say such mean, horrible things? :sniffle:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:12 pm

View Original PostÆnimal wrote:Why must you say such mean, horrible things? :sniffle:
Prople have been talking about her rapid demise ever since the end of Jo. Just go back into threads from the 2007-8 timespan -- there they were saying she'd be killed off in the first 15 minutes of 2.0 -- but no. And Evangelion fandom is a story that repeats.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:16 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Prople have been talking about her rapid demise ever since the end of Jo

So this is the work of the Proles, is it?! i should've known!!!! Always up to no good and scheming to defy Big Brother, those nasty little creatures...!

i am not serious whatsoever :lol:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:27 pm

Hey calm down and drop the forks guys, I'm not saying that I'm sure that she will die, but that if a pilot has to die in FINAL, she's the most likely candidate : she's more combat loving of the pilots, always ready for a fight and absolutely loves piloting the EVA! So thematically she's the one who have the best chances to die, but of course it will be in an awesome scene where she rips apart entire battalions of MP-EVAs and finally self-destruct EVA-08 to take out the last of them with a slasher smile and a last snark!

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:33 pm

View Original PostÆnimal wrote:Why must you say such mean, horrible things? :sniffle:

Honestly I don't think it would bother her that much, a least she could die surrounded by LCL. :lol:
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:49 pm

^ Mari's last line as she dies:

"I never knew death smelled so good."

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”