[Merch] Evangelion Figures Superthread [3]

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
gruntyguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gruntyguy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:13 pm

Yeah according to what someone said on /toy/ by a wonky translation, the eyes, the green chin, the black on the neck, and the green on the chest pieces need to be painted. Not too thrilled with wanting it now. Im not a modeler by any means, and I know it wouldn't look as good as Koto's.
This is also pretty jarring.
http://images.4chan.org/toy/src/1372812974212.jpg
Alone, I thought the Medicom Unit 01 looked fantastic, just like I think the Unit 02 is as well. But next to this new kotobukiya kit, it looks pretty wonky. I dont think I wanna see a comparison of the Unit 02 RAH with, I guess the Unit 02 RD. I'm scared Ill regret this purchase.

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TruthfulLie » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:00 pm

Well at least with RAH you have nice clean arms without joints! But yeah looking at the comparison I much prefer the Koto kit overall (sans the arm joints /). Even the body color seems much better with Koto but that may have something to do with lightning of the picture. And the translation is incorrect. Those are the parts of the kit that will come pre-painted.

gruntyguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gruntyguy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:30 pm

I'm not sure if thats something to be happy about or not. does that mean we have to paint everything else? I could probably manage assembly, but not painting.
Also maybe I'm just biased because I own it, but the Unit 02 RAH really seems flawless compared to the others. I quickly put together this comparison pic.
SPOILER: Show

Would someone who prefers RDs mind explaining why? Looking at them, aside from the unsightly joints (screws), they look rather cheap and cartoony in proportions. Look at those big heads.

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TruthfulLie » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:39 pm

I think what they are trying to point out is those parts would normally need to be painted because they wouldn't divide the parts to such level. Therefore they just pre-paint it instead of giving sticker or worse just leaving as they are, to be painted. All the other parts should be according to their proper color. Either way I am definitely getting one since I do like building models to begin with anyway. Also hoping this would mean other units will come in the future.

As to why everyone likes RD so much, I'd like to ask myself. As for unit-02, RAH is currently the best out there I suppose. Hopefully Koto can pull another fabulous kit after unit-01.

Theron
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Theron » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:02 am

To me, it looks like the RAH/Koto are the best Unit 1's out there now. Revo is just... no... and the RD, while being great for what it is, is suffering some rather wonky things that knock it out. There's always been something about the RD Unit 1's head that has always bugged the shit out of me. Something with the eyes. The Koto kit's head really, really reminds me of manga Unit 1's head styling. As some of you can tell, I am very exacting on my Unit 1's- seeing as it's my favorite design of a mech/all purpose artificial life-form (it fights Wing Zero TV for title of #1 all the time.) It's like they took all the best of Unit 1 and chucked it into one design. I'm loving it, especially now that I know that I was reading the translation wrong (or google is just wrong at translating some things.)

Now here's hoping for the rest of the Evas, especially Unit 13.....
WHERE IS MY UNIT 13 BANDAI

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:38 am

View Original Postgruntyguy wrote:

lel RD

But serously; RD Eva-01 is so much better than its Revo counterpart, over-sized helmet head or no.
Beats old horse-face any day. That head sculpt is agonisingly atrocious.

And yeah; that Koto piece looks fucking amazing for a kit. But if I could take my pick, I'd choose the RAH. They capture the tokusatsu/man-in-suit proportions/look of EOE and 2.0 perfectly, and I dig that.
I dig that a lot.

Also, dealing with internal anguish over whether or not to pre-order Eva-02'γ, Eva-08β and Eva-13 Revoltechs.
I can live without them, but they just look so damned good!
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Bucky 0 Har3
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bucky 0 Har3 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:35 am

I personal love revoltechs, for price, sculpt and having nearly every eva to choose from revoltechs are my favourite, but that's just me, to each there own :)
Man can't live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise..

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TruthfulLie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:57 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:And yeah; that Koto piece looks fucking amazing for a kit. But if I could take my pick, I'd choose the RAH. They capture the tokusatsu/man-in-suit proportions/look of EOE and 2.0 perfectly, and I dig that.
I dig that a lot.

I guess we all have our prefs. Man-in-a-suit-quality of RAH was precisely the thing that bothering me enough from getting one. The whole thing feels like a shell of something I don't see, instead of it being what it is. :p (and maybe the size of that thing...isn't to my taste either. lol) Though RAH probably has and will have the best gimmick among any Evangelions out there. In my idea the perfect figure/kit would be something that has the proportion of Koto's done with engineering technology of Bandai. If only Bandai would get their shits together and work on Evangelions again... :/

unit450
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby unit450 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:54 pm

View Original PostRestriktion wrote: At least this explains the apparently accurate October release date, but does that mean that the common wholesale merchants will pick them up, too? I am near certain that unit450 is happy to read this.

I certainly am! Also wholesalers with an account to Diamond will have access to them, a shop local to the Toronto area is gonna be helping me out with Unit-00, and maybe the 3.33 Asuka(still on the fence on this one.) Though have to ask the people looking through Previews! magazines, what was the price listed for the Unit-00 and 3.33 Asuka figures?

Still gonna cross my fingers that a friend attending WonFes can get to the lines early enough. Even better if I can get my vacation time/pay freed up in time, I'll happily play some outdoor hide and seek with the Makuhari center's night-time security the night before the show.

I also got my RAH Neo Unit-02 in! Really like that the sensor arrays/eyes finally look like they do in the anime with a noticeable pupil in them, a bit of a brighter green than I like; but I can do something for that later. Love the gloss look now that I see it in hand, and appreciate that it seems they actually used a layer gloss to bring out the shine; instead of just molding it that way.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/p5vz.jpg/]Image[/URL]
Rei used Smile.
Shinji, Asuk-You know what? EVERYTHING in existence fainted. Even the Fire Hydrant...
Rei defeated Seele!?

shaneva002
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby shaneva002 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:23 pm

View Original Postgruntyguy wrote:I'm not sure if thats something to be happy about or not. does that mean we have to paint everything else? I could probably manage assembly, but not painting.
Also maybe I'm just biased because I own it, but the Unit 02 RAH really seems flawless compared to the others. I quickly put together this comparison pic.

Would someone who prefers RDs mind explaining why? Looking at them, aside from the unsightly joints (screws), they look rather cheap and cartoony in proportions. Look at those big heads.

I like how you took the most retarded pose for the RD(I know its not your picture) lol I never seen anyone pose a 02 like that before today.Heres a better shot, you see they look more like the koto kit and anime stills then the herp derp pose you posted.

Well if you don't own an RD you really can't compare. I own Evas from all 3 companies and they all have their pros and cons.

If you had an RD in hand it doesn't feel cheap,the heads are not big. The articulation is way better then Revos and Rahs. The only down side is the hip area and the fact they're prob not gonna make anymore.

My 02 Rah is nice looking don't get me wrong but its too damn big,can't hold dynamic poses for too long, the body suit likes to bunch up at the joint whenever you pose it,f%^&ing rubber arms and the fact that if I keep experimenting with it,pose wise I'm just diminishing its shelf life so its just stuck in a neutral stance. I won't be buying anymore.

Funny thing is, even though most think they're the worst of them all the EvaEvos are my current favorite atm. lol Ya they got sloppy paint and clickity joints that make it impossible to get that exact pose you wanted but damn you got them all and they look mighty fine regardless when they're all together in a group shot.

I will say though the Koto kit looks damn nice, to bad I can't paint that well or i'd give it a try.
Internet elitists suck,ya you know who you are.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:17 pm

Nooo!
We are talking about that again!!!

On the other hand, it's nice to see so many people coming to their senses about Revos...

I knew you would... Everyone will! :shifty:
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

gruntyguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gruntyguy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:41 pm

@shaneva002
While I will agree those do look better than the pictures I used and not as cheap looking, the heads still look a bit too large, and those unsightly screw and hip joints just kill it for me.
And maybe Its just a difference in units, but my RAH suit doesnt really bunch up. I've also managed to get into dynamic poses, it just takes some patience.

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TruthfulLie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:58 pm

Maybe it's the head, but I always felt that RD units are kind of "cute" compared to other companies'. Revos looks fierce and bit exaggerated. RAH looks simple and slender. Koto looks plain yet fit. Looking at the comparison now, they all seems to have their own spin on it.

With the concept art next to Koto's, the torso feels ever so slightly too broad in comparison.

shaneva002
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby shaneva002 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:31 pm

Bunching up might not be the right phrase its more like "Crinkley" I guess? The pic of Unit450s Rah 02s waist posted right above my last post shows exactly what I mean. Although the legs can hold poses for a good amount of time the top heaviness keeps you from really dynamic poses. I'll get the pose then any slight vibration will topple it over unless its prop up on something. The arms though, I hate the rubber arms, even back in the day on the Bandai kits they look cool but really suck.

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:Nooo!
We are talking about that again!!!

On the other hand, it's nice to see so many people coming to their senses about Revos...

I knew you would... Everyone will! :shifty:

Haha lol

I still think the revos are the worst(But not by much), they just look so damn sexy together.
Internet elitists suck,ya you know who you are.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:06 pm

View Original Postshaneva002 wrote:I still think the revos are the worst(But not by much), they just look so damn sexy together.

Indeed... Together... All together... Not that RD knows about "all"... :evillaugh:
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

fleeting
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby fleeting » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:25 pm

RD are ok. I hate that half of the figures are exclusives. So I like Revoltechs better because you get all of the eva units which makes my OCD happy*, PLUS you don't have to spend 3-4 times as much to get half of them. I have ordered a RAH 02 and I fully expect it to blow both the others out of the water.

*edit* Much like pokemon, I gotta catch them all.

Theron
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Theron » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:45 pm

I've had a Unit 1 of every kind pretty much- minus the RAH (soon to have) and the Bandai kits. I've found that what makes it or breaks it to me is the head- the "defining" feature of Unit 1 to me. Revo is just... no... the RD is close, but it just doesn't capture the "aggressiveness" that I like. They didn't get the eyes right. The RAH and the Koto kit capture it just perfectly to me. I guess it just depends on what you're looking for- I've an insane eye for detail, and if it doesn't reach what I expect it looses out in my eyes.

Also, in regards to my previous post in saying "the head reminds me of the manga/anime Unit 1", this kit is being apparently being produced in some way with someone who made a garage kit of Unit 1 way back in '97 or so. At least, I've heard that in some places, so not sure on how true that is or not.
WHERE IS MY UNIT 13 BANDAI

Shinies
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Shinies » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:35 pm

I think where the RD shine is when you pose them in iconic poses from the movies, or when you come up with a pose that may seem natural but usually most toylines couldn't achieve. I'm glad to own at least from 00 to 03, and while I would love to own 02 Zabeasto and awakened 01 I no longer have the means to buy more figures for the moment.

Sadly I can't say anything about RAHs, though they look amazing they are too expensive for me and I don't have space to display them, also I don't believe in buying things with leather that in time will crack if you don't have them in museum like enviroment.

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TruthfulLie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:51 pm

I didn't know there were leather parts to RAH figures. Honestly, I don't think a small leather parts won't likely to be damaged within usual room environment and that if you keep it out of water.

Shinies
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Shinies » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:16 pm

I try to keep my figures clean and all but my apartment has this "cute" tendency to suck a lot of dust from the street and it has already had effects on figures like the myth cloth line from Saint Seiya, I had to box the figures for some time while I get enough money to buy some furniture that has doors to keep them closed.

Still if by some miracle someone gifted me a RAH I'd be a happy man :tongue:

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”