Do you Dislike Q?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Masterblast
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Masterblast » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:15 pm

Number 1: we need a 14 year filler. Missing those details affected the movie for me. What the fuck made Misato so pissed? Maybe she was upset after cheering Shinji in the end of 2.22 and felt it was her fault. We need something to fill the time loop up.
Number 2: no one I know learned the piano in 2 days.
Number 3: the angels haven't attacked for fourteen years? Beside the Lillith incedent, where have the angels been? Is the twelfth angel Lillith's soul since they trapped it in one of the spears?
Number 4: did anno not want designs of older versions of the characters? Fuyustki was the only one who I felt looked older, and Ritsuko. I know, the curse of Eva. But it would've been nice to see a 28 year old Shinji and Karouw

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:52 pm

View Original PostMasterblast wrote:Number 2: no one I know learned the piano in 2 days.
Number 3: the angels haven't attacked for fourteen years? Beside the Lillith incedent, where have the angels been? Is the twelfth angel Lillith's soul since they trapped it in one of the spears?

Number 2: Shinji didn't learn it in two days, it's supposed to represent a few weeks of practice with Kaworu.
Number 3: It's highly implied that the 11th Angel attacked since Zeruel was the 10th and the 12th Angel was inside Dogma by the time of 3.0. The 12th Angel probably started 3rd Impact somehow since everything that happened in Dogma seemed to have been a disaster involving Lilith being dead and the Mark 06.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:56 pm

Long conversation about the merits of revealing the events of the 14-year timeskip or not was split out to here.

It took a while to mull over the split, but everything from a certain point onward was so consistently on-topic about that particular sub-topic that it looked too juicy not to split it out as its own thing. :tongue:
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

peripateia
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby peripateia » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:14 pm

someone probably already said something like this, but...Asuka blowing up Nigouki? At first I thought it was weird for evas to have self-destruct mechanisms, but then I thought...Asuka blew up her mother?!?!

That pretty much sums up my gripe with rebuild in general...Anno condensed 24 episodes into three movies, and the movies suffer from weird pacing and simplified characterizations because of their dependence on the original series. (yeah, I know-rebuild has a different canon-but still)

I liked 3.0 the most actually, out of the three movies. I think I'll like final more, just because anything could happen now.

But only after 3.0 did I realize that rebuild truly is a new beast from the original. There's a special place in my affections reserved for NGE and EoE, but I was sooo wrong to think that rebuild could follow up or replace that affection.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:37 am

View Original Postperipateia wrote:Asuka blew up her mother?!?!

Where in Rebuild is there any mention of her mother? Not everything is the same as in the series, and that matters.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:50 am

View Original Postperipateia wrote:But only after 3.0 did I realize that rebuild truly is a new beast from the original.
Window-dressing (the red seas) aside, the first major clue came when EVA-01 didn't activate to protect Shinji in the opening minutes of Jo; and it should have become obvious in the next 90-odd minutes.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

peripateia
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby peripateia » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:33 pm

I have a feeling I'm not alone in this, but I think I'd appreciate Rebuild far more if I had seen it before NGE and EoE.

Comparisons between the original and the NME are unavoidable, hence my shock at Asuka's destruction of nigouki: it's not that I can't distinguish between the two series, it's that I really don't want to. I rather wished in that opening scene of Jo for some allusion to EoE's finale, and the red ocean was certainly suggestive of a connection, but after 3 movies I've come away empty handed (there's still hope for final!).

I guess the reason for this initial disappointment in rebuild is that I held impossibly high expectations for what Eva is 'supposed' to be. I am thus far baffled by Anno's decision to revisit his magnum opus. I haven't been able to appreciate any deeper messages beyond superficial heroics in NME. But even still, I am thankful for rebuild if only for glimpses of familiar faces. Don't mind my rebuild rant, I still think 3.0 is, as many people have already said, a step in the right direction.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:59 pm

View Original Postperipateia wrote:I have a feeling I'm not alone in this, but I think I'd appreciate Rebuild far more if I had seen it before NGE and EoE.
I'd agree with that -- it feels to me a lot like watching the Bokurano anime after having read the manga, sitting in the uncanny valley of adaptation decay.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”