Studio Trigger project: Little Witch Academia

All Studio Trigger stuff goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

jimmiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jimmiel » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:10 am

Seele00TextOnly: Hold on, I lost track. How many of your children did Girls und Panzer rape and murder again, exactly?
Qui veut faire l'ange fait la bête.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:50 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:31 am

Here is the completed work.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjyhka0lM5Y[/url]
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

jimmiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jimmiel » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:00 am

Video removed for some reason, here it is reuploaded. And yes, this is an officially-translated upload from Trigger themselves, so share it.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:57 pm

That's weird. It worked when I posted the link. They must have took it off not too long after I posted. Sorry about that.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:17 am

Amazing, simply amazing.

Since it was apparently directed by Yoh Yoshinari (LWA seems to be his brainchild) I already imagined this was going to be a great, to put it mildly, but I honestly didn’t expect it to be *that* amazing. The visuals were simply perfect and delicious, the art style, the painterly/watercolor-esque backgrounds (the greatest part of it IMO) and the incredibly slick character designs make the short one of the most beautiful things I’ve watched.

It’s just as amazing that almost all the other aspects manage to keep up. The animation’s fluidity and dynamism is quite honestly unlike anything I’ve ever seen before. The acting and demeanor of the characters was incredibly appealing and managed to make all of them rather interesting and unique (quite incredible given the short length of this) and while the story/plot wasn’t anything outstanding, it is remarkable how much content they were capable of putting in 26 minutes without it feeling crammed in any manner. Even then, I do have to admit that they were able to make a few highlights with the story here and there (The MC’s eye reflections bookends is probably the best example of that).

Simply amazing, with Inferno Cop and now this, I’m sure many people will be looking forward to anything Trigger makes next. I originally felt a bit iffy/distrustful of Trigger’s quality when I saw the first episode of Inferno Cop, but now I think I’ll be a fan of their future works.

Also, I really hope they decide to make a series out of this, it really has a lot of potential.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon May 06, 2013 4:06 pm

Just saw it and was great, really liked it! Whats so bad about k-on tho.....
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

jimmiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jimmiel » Sun May 12, 2013 10:08 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Whats so bad about k-on tho.....

It's not that it's bad (well, I think it's only pretty good and is largely overrated, but whatever), just that by its popularity it's become the poster child for a type of show typically seen as unimaginative, uncreative and having characters which principally exist to look cute and be unthreatening, which is basically the opposite of LWA (its characters are charming in a much more legitimate way, in that they seem like real, fun people as opposed to bundles of clichés). It's a good show, but an example of a typically lousy type of show.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun May 12, 2013 2:40 pm

View Original Postjimmiel wrote:its characters are charming in a much more legitimate way, in that they seem like real, fun people as opposed to bundles of clichés

Now I loved Little Witch Academia as much as the next guy (seen it, what, thrice?) and hope for full tv series and I also agree LWA's cast was charming and all but claiming the were anymore original or uncliched than K-ON's cast of lovable moeblobs is just silly. The character archetypes differ a bit from tropes of modern 4koma SoL manga but they aren't themselves anything new. The one girl that stand outs a bit is the potion mixer girl but that's because she's very much (Yoshinari's beloved) western animation character archetype. Of course characters of her type aren't that common in Japanese animation but overall she's hardly uncliched creation either.

Not that there's anything wrong with being cliched

jimmiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jimmiel » Sun May 12, 2013 4:59 pm

Yeah, I like what Xard's posted. Although Diana is distinctive; you've got the aloof enemy/rival stereotype paired with the common ojou-sama characterisation, and then you've got a slow peeling of hubris to reveal an absolute bro, paired with the revelation that she's not quite as above it all as she'd like to pretend, which genuinely colours the understanding of her in a new way during a second watch. It's simple but dynamic and totally effective and I felt I had to rant about it. I agree with the Trigger guy behind the Inferno Cop account in saying she's the best witch.

I actually feel K-On!'s characters are less clichéd than many in its vein - more simplistically-drawn people than bundles of traits.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun May 12, 2013 5:28 pm

ehh, I don't know. I've seen Diana kind of she's-uptight-bitch-on-the-surface-but-really-a-tsundere* character before quite frequently. It's one of the most natural ways to develop a ojou-sama character of this type if she's supposed to come off antagonistic first but supposed to "really" be nice girl under the surface.

*not literally

jimmiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jimmiel » Sun May 12, 2013 8:52 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:ehh, I don't know. I've seen Diana kind of she's-uptight-bitch-on-the-surface-but-really-a-tsundere* character before quite frequently.

So have I. Diana's wonderful. I dunno, something about the way these guys do characterisation makes it come across much more like "skilful use of archetypes" than "clichés".

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Tue May 14, 2013 2:23 am

I think that some people might find the characters more original than they are because pretty much everything in the short is so great/captivating you're not really in a "mood" to pick up on the small flaws of characterization and such.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue May 14, 2013 9:05 am

View Original Postjimmiel wrote:So have I. Diana's wonderful. I dunno, something about the way these guys do characterisation makes it come across much more like "skilful use of archetypes" than "clichés".

Well, there's no real difference. Originality in general is most of the time illusionary and at best skin deep. When I claimed characters are cliched I didn't use the word negatively though I'm well aware of the negative connotation it has. That's why I also used more respectable concept of "archetype" to speak of what is essentially one and same thing.

Really, it always comes down to execution. The reason why LWA's cast manages to be so charming in the short run time is that the characters are depicted with skill and authentic care. It's very rarely the elements of characters that differentiate bad from good ones.

On that note bringing up K-ON cast as kind of negative example in this context (though I know you didn't do this) similarly misses the point. I think it only starts to really show up in second season and film but KyoAni did terrific job with bringing the characters alive in that series. There's real affection and care in their portrayal from animation to telling little moments that puts the show way ahead its 4koma adaptation bulk competition - and as far as I'm concerned LWA's cast does good job in fulfilling the vague criterions of moe.

View Original PostDream wrote:I think that some people might find the characters more original than they are because pretty much everything in the short is so great/captivating you're not really in a "mood" to pick up on the small flaws of characterization and such.

I can't agree with this because it is implicitly committed to idea cliches in characterization are flaws.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Wed May 15, 2013 11:42 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:I can't agree with this because it is implicitly committed to idea cliches in characterization are flaws.

That was poor wording on my part. Aside from small differences (namely, that i wouldn't be so sure if it all relies on execution) your post describes my viewpoints on the matter of characters and originality much better than i could. LWA's characters are not exactly anything revolutionary in either originality or execution, but they get the job done.

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:21 am

Damn, THANK YOU for posting this!

It dosen't look to be especially creative, being essentially as noted a Japanese take on Harry Potter, but the art style and direction look to be fresh and interesting, and looks to fill a gap in my heart where I have wished for an anime series in the style of the PS2 game Grim Grimoire.

That is of course if it -DOES- get picked up as a series, but the money people would be foolish not to green-light this: it has the potential to be a monster franchise of the Naruto/FMA/Death Note size, huge in Japan and North America both. :)
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

jimmiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jimmiel » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:01 pm

Apart from the "school for wizards" angle, LWA not that similar to Harry Potter. I wouldn't be surprised if the overall concept was inspired by the most popular version of that idea, but it's more like the Worst Witch novels (Harry is a guy, an outsider and doesn't suck, the opposite of Akko and Mildred, and also Diana is more similar to Ethel than Draco, even outside of being a girl) or even fellow anime Quiz Magic Academy (the "save the school's dangerous power source" is very similar to the plot of the second OVA). Then there's the big good-versus-evil plot, social commentary, bad-guy-being-Hitler, people dying and there being a non-magical world at all elements, among many others, that are in Harry Potter - and, apart from the "old-fashioned English boarding school novel" angle, which is, again, not in LWA, most of what actually make the series "Harry Potter" - but not represented in the slightest in LWA.

... at any rate, calling it a clone of Harry Potter is kind of unfair.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:58 pm

The film is coming to blu-ray. Some of the features include a making of video (longer than the work itself) and a 112 page artbook. This sounds tempting to me.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:44 am

Just to let you guys know, the video here: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RBlqxEIJ_Cg[/url]

It's going to be taken down at the end of June, so get it while you can. :)
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:02 am

cool, I'll have to check this out soon.

Edit - Well, that's pretty great! Saucy is best witch, no contest.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Studio Trigger”