Evangelion 3.0 Screening at San Francisco Film Festival

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:41 pm

Looks like San Fran beat them to the punch.

[url]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-06-19/san-francisco-to-screen-evangelio-n-3.0-u.s-premiere[/url]

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:05 pm

$13 for the ticket + $1.70 service fee. The New People theater is not that big, slightly smaller than a regular sized theater where films that have been out for a few weeks are screened although it is 143 seats. Would it be worth it?

Last year there was 1.0 and 2.0 double feature, didn't watch it.
Last edited by AR-99 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:05 pm

...No fucking way. I'm going to be in San Francisco on those dates. On a trip that was planned a month ago. My life is awesome. :woohoo:

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:44 pm

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:$13 for the ticket + $1.70 service fee. The New People theater is not that big, slightly smaller than a regular sized theater where films that have been out for a few weeks are screened although it is 143 seats. Would it be worth it?

If you can find out how they're projecting it would answer the question. If they're just throwing on a Blu-ray - or worse a DVD - it might not be worth it if you have to go out of your way. What you'd gain in screen size will be lost in picture clarity & especially the colors which tend to get washed out on even the best projectors. I screened my 3.33 Bluray for myself on a 4K projector & it was great but not cinema quality great. The reds weren't RED & the blacks were more grey. It's pretty unavoidable since Blu-rays while great in picture quality are not intended for screens that large nor for projection. Still, the sound was pretty amazing cause I kicked that boy up to 11... and then 12!

If you find out they've got a DCP (Digital Cinema Package) then go all out! Fly across the country if you have too cause that will be the sharpest & best looking way to see 3.0 imaginable!

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:03 pm

SF Japantown, where this is going down, is about a 20 min drive for me. :tongue:

Venue info:
NEW PEOPLE Cinema is a 143-seat cinema located in the underground level of NEW PEOPLE in San Francisco. Equipped with a cutting-edge HD digital projection and THX®-certified sound system

Does that answer the question?
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:30 pm

I am incredibly jealous right now, Nuke. Maybe if I find a part time job I can accumulate enough cash to make the trip by then....
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:36 pm

If it's a 20 minute drive I say go either way. That's not much of an issue & you'd more likely kick yourself in the booty for missing it which would do more damage in the long run. Lol, I thought for you it was like a TRIP that would take X amount of hours. 20 minutes - that's practically next door.

Either wayt, it's too early to know how they're going to project it. For the theater this is just some event they have on their schedule after several other events. Hell, the theater themselves may not even know they're playing it yet - that tends to happen on occassion, the theaters are the last to know. But I'd say give them a call or better yet if they have an online customer service email them about a week or so before they run it & ask how they're projected it - disc, harddrive or DCP/CRU? Most theaters worth a damn understand this is an important & pay-or-not question for a lot of film fans & should be able to give you a definite answer.

I'd like to assume it's a DCP. That would offer excellent cinema quality & can't be beat. (Yes, I love movies projected on film more but I'd hazard to guess zero film prints were made for 3.0. Let alone a film print with Engligh subtitles).

P.S. I wonder.... is it going to be in Japanese or English dubbed? Funimation already owns the rights & it's not like their "quality" dubbing should take any more than two weeks to do.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:53 pm

Website says sub. Aren't you checking my links? :tongue:

AFAIK I am the only EGFer in the Bay Area unless someone else hasn't mentioned this. 3.0 is screening 3x - Saturday 7/27 @ 11, Monday 7/29 @ 7, and Sunday 8/4 @ 11. If someone wants to meet up for the screening, PM me. I can't do the 29th so it will likely be the either of the 2 weekend dates, will update when I'm firmed up. If you're driving in I can let you know how to get free parking. ;) Otherwise take Muni to get to Japantown from Powell St. BART. Or you can walk from Civic Center, it's about 15 minutes.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:31 pm

I remember the 1.0 dub was screened at Sundance Kabuki Cinemas (nearby SF's Kinokuniya). Went on a Monday and we were the only ones in the theater, but it was a fun time anyway.

I'd assume 2.0 did a hell of a lot better in theaters than 1.0--and 3.0 will probably top both. Can't wait when the rest of the country gets to see 3.0 on the big screen! Dubs aren't my thing but I'm curious anyway, assuming they'll screen 3.0 with the dub later on.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:37 pm

Goddamit!!
Why never in Mexico!!!??? :irked:
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:24 pm

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:Why never in Mexico!!!??? :irked:

Mexico already has giant bloodthirsty snake gods to worry about, there's no way the Government wants to bring Angels into the mix.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:46 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Mexico already has giant bloodthirsty snake gods to worry about, there's no way the Government wants to bring Angels into the mix.

Feathered snake-God, if you mind...

MarioAyanami128
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MarioAyanami128 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:10 pm

So................ does this make Eva 3.0 eligible for next year's Academy Awards??

Dang it!! Right when I leave the US something like this happens.... >:(
Cheers for those who will get a chance to watch this masterpiece on the big screen! ;)
The Eva-Zelda relations are way stronger than you can ever imagine.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:19 pm

View Original PostMarioAyanami128 wrote:So................ does this make Eva 3.0 eligible for next year's Academy Awards??

According to the Academy's official rules it must run for 7 days in a row (for that alone, it doesn't qualify)... Also, I don't know if they'll screen Evangelion 3.0 or 3.33... And I also don't know if that would affect the decision given that they must send the version screened in California...

Also, there are special rules for Animated Films...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:40 pm

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:Also, I don't know if they'll screen Evangelion 3.0 or 3.33...

It'll probably be 3.0. Funimation screened the theatrical versions of the other 2 films (1.0 and 2.0) before they released the BD/DVDs (1.01, 1.11, 2.22).

MarioAyanami128
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MarioAyanami128 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:54 pm

@SEELE-01

Awwwwww............ :( That sucks...
But what's the difference between 3.0 and 3.33??? Isn't this the only time that the running time is the same for the theatrical and BD/DVD version?

Disconsidering the 7-day requirement, the special rules may eliminate Eva, since I never saw any kind of effort from Funi to promote any of the films seriously.
Many of you may call me whatever you want, but I still think that there was something strange about Eva 2.22's absence in the AA that year, when Funi licensed and launched Summer Wars, a film that premiered in Japan later than Eva...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:02 pm

View Original PostMarioAyanami128 wrote:But what's the difference between 3.0 and 3.33???

Mainly animation fixes. IIRC there were adjustments in the audio too.

From what I remember, neither 1.0 or 2.0 could be nominated because of Funimation's timing with acquiring both films versus screening them in theaters. There was no conspiracy theory to it.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:51 pm

:lol: at the wording since who here didn't see it as an audience of 1. Well, already seen this 2x (and I have not seen any of the other movies more than once) and as I mentioned in another thread FanimeCon already showed it a month ago. But hey, the theater experience will be fun and I was thinking about catching this particular screening since the overarching J-Pop Summit Festival is that weekend. The Japan Film Festival of SF that 3.0 is a part of starts that weekend and runs through August 4.

IMO the Oscar possibility for 3.0 is a pipe dream but I don't think this is the thread to get into a prolonged discussion of its merits for nomination.

MarioAyanami128
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MarioAyanami128 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:36 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Mainly animation fixes. IIRC there were adjustments in the audio too.

From what I remember, neither 1.0 or 2.0 could be nominated because of Funimation's timing with acquiring both films versus screening them in theaters. There was no conspiracy theory to it.

Thanks for the tip! ;)

Well, I still think there's something fishy about this. You can call it conspiracy if you want. Let's just say that Funi acquired the rights for 2.0 before Summer Wars...

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:57 pm

If Funimation can get 3.0 to play in one movie theater in one major city for just one week then yes, it would be eligble for the 2014 Oscar ceremony.

I doubt it would have a chance to get in - Pixar & Dreamworks literally kill people in order to get their films every year - but if there were enough animation films to qualify for another 5 Film in Best Animation category situation again AND the Academy was feeling very generous for off-the-family-friendly-four-quadrent path then there's a slight chance it could happen.

But I'd argue even if all those magical things did come into play it might still be an impossibility since 3.0 is the third part of a four film story. A story that is unseen by practically 95% + of the Academy... if any. Telling Academy voters that they need to watch two other movies & then have the story unresolved with a fourth film still to come is asking too much. If it was Best Picture then sure.... but this is Animation which Hollywood - despite all their biggest blockbusters being practically nothing BUT animation, Avatar is an animated film despite what Cameron says - has always looked down on as something lesser.

Either way, who cares. The Oscars are just... bleh. Who won again last year?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”