Episode 21 reduced me to tears

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

PanzerEVA
Lilith

Episode 21 reduced me to tears

•      
  •      

Postby PanzerEVA » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:06 pm

Never has an anime struck me so hard. I couldn't help but cry with Misato.

I'm 18 years old. That's something.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:44 pm

... wait, this episode? To me... Nooo. No no no. If you're watching the series for the first time, that episode is nothing. That is NOTHING... compared to later on.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:49 pm

I moved this to Chit-Chat from Discussion cuz it seemed like a chit-chatty kind of topic.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Re: Episode 21 reduced me to tears

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:38 pm

View Original PostPanzerEVA wrote:Never has an anime struck me so hard. I couldn't help but cry with Misato.

I'm 18 years old. That's something.

You have only just struck the tip of the iceberg that is the Descent Arc. If episode 21 was enough to make you cry, the next 5 episodes+EoE will reduce you to a shivering wreck, believe me.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:44 am

Does having the age of pilots change something? I got screwed up several times, but I never cried.

Rena
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Rena » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:09 am

View Original PostKatana wrote:Does having the age of pilots change something? I got screwed up several times, but I never cried.

I've never cried watching Evangelion either. EOE left me staring into my ceiling for an hour, but I never cried over it.

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:14 am

I couldn't possibly do that because it was midnight when I finshed watching EoE. And I took an entire month to recover from shock, though every time I rewatch it, I feel very odd.

PanzerEVA
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby PanzerEVA » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:31 am

Yeah, watched 22 pretty much straight after. Whilst it was emotional enough imo, it still hurts to see Asuka beginning to go crazy. I don't now where I read it from, but I heard that She and Shinji began a relationship at some point.

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:05 am

Not exactly, not exactly. I'd suggest you to keep out from any spoiler, well, anyway I bet you won't understand it very well, don't wanna spoil you anything, I'm gonna stop now.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:10 am

I'm surprised someone would come to EvaGeeks having not even finished the series. Spoilers are expected to fly free around here. For example [REDACTED]
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:12 am

He's not the first one, but it's kinda odd, I came here about 2 months after having watched it and I need to watch 2.0 and 3.0 yet, sadly.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:35 am

This forum must be like a minefield for you then. Not to mention Youtube and social media.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:18 am

View Original PostPanzerEVA wrote:Yeah, watched 22 pretty much straight after. Whilst it was emotional enough imo, it still hurts to see Asuka beginning to go crazy. I don't now where I read it from, but I heard that She and Shinji began a relationship at some point.

You should probably watch the rest of the series before you get hit in the face with a spoiler.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

PanzerEVA
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby PanzerEVA » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:20 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:You should probably watch the rest of the series before you get hit in the face with a spoiler.
I intend to. I'm not ashamed of my tears. I will happily turn my room into a resevoir to watch the rest.

Oh btw guys, what order shall I watch the movies in?

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:22 am

View Original PostPanzerEVA wrote:Oh btw guys, what order shall I watch the movies in?

Death and Rebirth only if you have time to spend or didn't understand the TV series at all, End of Evangelion (shows what happens really in Episde 25 and 26), then Rebuild.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:36 am

Death is a recap of the series, albeit with redone animation and some additions, although I think most if not all of the changes are also in the Director's Cut episodes (except for the potentially confusing framing device, of course). Strictly optional, in my opinion.

Rebirth is useless, consisting of no more than what is already contained in and expanded upon within End of Evangelion. Skip it entirely.

End of Evangelion is an alternative (and spectacular!) ending from episodes 25 and 26. Exactly how "alternative" is a subject of much debate. Some people say they are two different depictions of the same basic events, some people say they are completely different continuities that even have diametrically opposed endings, and there are all kinds of gradations in between. This is known as the "concurrency" debate. Anyway, it is generally recommended to watch EoE after episodes 25 and 26 (not necessarily right after) to get the full experience. It is the climax and denouement of the story that is the original Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Rebuild is a separate continuity altogether.
System Administrator

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:31 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Rebuild is a separate continuity altogether.

Even this has been a subject of much debate.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:53 pm

Watch it in whichever order you want, then make sense out of it in your own fashion. That's my best idea.

PanzerEVA
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby PanzerEVA » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Just finished EoE.

I really don't know what to make of it. I know someone said I'd probably be crying more, or become a shivering wreck... jeez, it's effing freaky :bigeyes:

Given the one trailer and several pictures of 3.0 (mainly Asuka's eyepatch) I've seen, I'd say that EoE doesn't seem to happen in the rebuild.

EDIT: I noticed these:
Petit Eva Evangelion@School
Neon Genesis Evangelion Abridged Series

^WTF?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:14 pm

View Original PostPanzerEVA wrote:EDIT: I noticed these:
Petit Eva Evangelion@School
Neon Genesis Evangelion Abridged Series
Official and fan made respectively
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”