Worst video game that you played?

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:16 am

View Original PostSimplyMason0 wrote:Was it really that bad? I remember liking the demo

But that was years ago

Really broken game it was, for me. Textures were messy, (Yes you would expect that from previousX2 console gens ago, but even for a Ps game they were bad) and gameplay wasn't anything special.

And as i said before: Finnish dub especially what made me go: :spew: :XP:
Last edited by Giji Shinka on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:55 am

Some shitty WWII FPS on the PS2.

Don't remember what it was called, but I remember that in levels where you were on a boat, the horizon was entirely GREY, all the Japanese enemies looked exactly the same if they were standing behind a crate and you stood in front of it and looked in their bizarre yellow and glowing skin they wouldn't do anything

also you cancel reloading your weapon when you reloaded it
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:53 am

Metroid: Other M: Aside from the terrible characterisation, it seems that all of their money must have gone into producing the cutscenes, because the actual ingame graphics are terrible. The Metroid Prime games and some of my PS2 games have better graphics. It's a shame when the cutscenes are stunningly detailed, but the ingame scenes use PS2-era graphics. The actual gameplay is also very broken. I don't want to have to go into first-person and immobilise myself every time I want to blast open a barrier with Missiles, but the game forces me to. The boss battles are also a lot less clever or tricky than in previous games, and mostly can be boiled down to locking onto the boss's weakpoint and spamming Missiles or beams at it while occasionally dodging. I was also mystified by the "authorisation" system, which almost completely removed the concept of searching for power-ups. Instead of venturing further and searching every corner in the hope of finding a new beam or armor, you just run around blasting stuff hoping that Adam will take pity on you and unlock another ability for you. The whole game is so broken that it might as well be non-canonical, like the Zelda franchise's Wand of Gamelon.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:16 pm

For me it would be:

-Sonic heroes (last gen)
-Hyperdimension Neptunia (this gen) :thehand:
-Super Man 64 (in the distant past haha)
Last edited by Stan on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:18 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:For me it would be:

-Sonic Heroes (last gen)

At least that was more enjoyable than Shadow The Hedgehog and Sonic 2006.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:20 pm

View Original PostKatana wrote:At least that was more enjoyable than Shadow The Hedgehog and Sonic 2006.

Dunno because after that piece of trash I never played a Sonic game to this day (and never will) lol

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:21 pm

It isn't as good as SA2, but it isn't as bad as Sonic 2006, which is really a piece of trash.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:13 am

View Original PostXard wrote::asuka_miffed:

This is not how you post in this topic.

:asuka_sad: G-Gomen, Xard-senpai...

However, there is a terrible game I HAVE played.

Divine Sealing for the Mega Drive/Genesis. Oh lord, that thing is bad. It was only ever released in Japan, so as a result there's no English text, meaning that whatever plot it may have had is inaccessible to me. The basic setup is a ridiculously difficult space shooter with sloppy controls and overpowered enemies against a headache-inducing background, and when you defeat a stage some poorly-drawn anime chick removes some of her clothing.

The music is bland, the graphics are genuinely painful (I'm not joking; my eyes hurt after playing it, thanks to that damn strobe water) the sound is cacked up, with no firing sounds and explosions that temporarily stop the soundtrack when they play, the enemies are way too fast and blend in with the shitty background, and if you can even get to the end of the stage, the "reward" is so poorly drawn it's more laughable than arousing.

The only reason it's on my computer is so I may laugh at how bad it is.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

CX1329
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby CX1329 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:27 pm

Given how expensive games are these days, I don't really have the luxury of buying anything without doing some research first, but I have bought plenty of terrible games in the past, such as "Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero". It is hilariously bad.

I'm also guilty of having bought horrendous WCW games such as WCW Nitro and WCW Backstage Assault, both of which are definitely among the worst games of all time.

Then again, that was over a decade ago, I didn't know any better at the time.
Sapientiam autem non vincit malitia.

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:52 pm

I've seen a fair share of bad games and it's hard to pick the one that was worst. So I'l pick the one which was bad but I still invested money and lot of time in it.

TЯAPT

This game is... Strange, since I both love it and hate it.

It was a PS2 game, and those game could afford pretty good graphics. This one, had medium quality graphics at best. Animations tended to be stiff, and localisation team changed main heroines' name, so even when you heard Japanese dubbing calling her Alicia, you got subs naming her Allura.
Dialogues often seemed forced, plot points sometimes were an asspull, and characters action often begged the question WHY?

And yet there were still points that held me to this game. Interesting gameplay, that allowed you to feel like one of those supernatural killers from slasher movies, that butcher whole groups of unsespecting victims that stumbled on his grounds...
And still heroine is not a bad person. She is a a princess framed for her fathers murder, and there is a price for her head. And someone would like to silence her outside of the trial...

She is scared and desperate enough to accept a pact with the devil, that offers her... "defensive means" in exchange for the souls of those, who die by this power. Most of those who comes after her are bounty hunters, and mercenaries who really deserve the axe. But there is a lot of innocent and good natured people who die in this game. Mostly by your hand. Law enforcers, who just want to do what they belive is right, starved peasants who need the bounty money to get by, or lost travelers who are as panicated as your main character, but who she can't afford to let escape and blabber about her whereabouts.

Most painfull thing? You learn about those things usually only after you kill them. In-game encyclopedia is nice enough to give you short backstory and motives of the people you just murdered. This game can make you feel guilty for your fight for survival.

You can't even tell who is really evil and who is just desperate. Nearly aeveryone have some valid justification for being a cruel asshole.

Also the game have at least four endings (maybe more, I don't remember), three official and one premature, where you can end game without going to final stages.
And you would think that at least one of those would be a good ending. Nope. All are bad ends. You can merely choose what kind of pain you prefer.

The premature ending for example, allows you to escape the country, but in order to do so... you must kill your friend, who don't want you to abandon your country. And after you finaly flee, and are able to live peacefully in another country, you are learning that the demon you made contract with, destroyed your homeland.

This game had so great potential, but there are too many elements that are badly executed. I can't with clean conscience say it's the worst game, but it's the worst of those I've seen completly and inside out.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

MJL
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MJL » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:43 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Haven't actually played it (thank god) but Counter-Strike. Oh god, Counter-Strike.
lol

The worst game that I have ever purchased myself (not including any of those cereal box PC "games" etc.) has to be Pain for the Ps3. I had an extra 10€ in my PSN wallet and decided to blindly buy the first game that was cheap enough... what a mistake. I've never bought a game without doing research beforehand after playing this steaming pile of shit for like 30 minutes. You're just slingshotting yourself around and breaking shit. That's the whole game, hooray. Even if that description sounds like there might be some entertainment value to be found... no, just no. The game's mind-numbingly slow-paced, has awkward controls and is simply worthless in every way imaginable.

The second place goes to Rainbow Six: Lone Wolf on the Ps1. This game was released a couple of years after the first Rainbow Six game and has to be one of the most pathetic cash grabs I've ever fell victim to: 5 missions, full price. The only reason why this game last's longer than 2 hours is because you have to start from the beginning everytime you die. On top of that, the gameplay is pure horseshit, which means that you'll be dying a lot. I still managed to finish this game in about 4 hours and the game has been sitting on my shelf untouched ever since.

A special mention goes to the Ps1 version of the first Command & Conquer which is pretty much unplayable because there's no way you can command your troops to fire at enemies fast enough with the pad. There's also this one Ps1 horse riding(/horse grooming :tongue:) game that had probably the worst controls I've experienced in a video game but I can't remember its title.

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:25 am

Possibly the worst game I ever encountered was Summoner for PS2, I can't remember much of it, only that the gameplay was atrocious, literally could not stand more then a minute of it before quitting. Think the only decent thing about it was the post credits cutscene of the guys playing D&D with the guy who says "I wanna cast Magic Missile!"
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:58 am

Sonic 2006 is one that popped my mind fast.Pretty sure there are more though.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:44 pm

I haven't actually played these, just seen them on Youtube, but seriously. Why do they exist? :crybaby:

Here for the latter since it's more obscure, if you don't believe me. It really is like a YoutubePoop as a video game, as somebody once said! Psycho Killer (by the same company) isn't any better with the "Goosebumps" scream and everything. Dat sax in the end credits!

For what it's worth, this company released the Interactive Rocky Horror Picture Show video game, which Arianne (yes, that Arianne) sang for.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:59 pm

Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:08 pm

I've been an Angry Nerd fan for awhile now (got tickets to the movie in August). Who the hell do you think I am? :wink:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:31 pm

Street Fighter IV.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:03 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Street Fighter IV.

Oof. I'd find it hard to consider a bad game; by all accounts it's actually very good. However, when you consider the master piece that preceded it (Third Strike) it is a major, un-welcome step back. I don't play Street Fighter IV, but if it wasn't for what had already been done, well, on it's own it's a notably well made game.

Call of Duty Ghosts stands out to me as utterly pointless. I couldn't even make it through the first level without turning it off and ceasing to play it again.

Castlevania on the N64. It's a shame too, from a series with so much promise, it couldn't make the transition to 3D like Zelda, and then became formulaic and stagnant on the hand-helds.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:10 am

Watchmojo has pretty good list: "Top 10 Worst Video Games of All Time."

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:10 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Street Fighter IV.

Caused the fighting game renaissance so it's alright in my opinion. Now the silly amount of editions it has is pretty bad. Though that's Crapcom for you.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”