Favorite Video Games

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:36 pm

View Original PostCatamari wrote:Whatever you say, Reichu. :lol:

Despite being a big fan of EarthBound, I can't say I've played the sequel. How does it stack up?

Hmm, in terms of story, it starts off on a very emotional note. The story is very touching and I would consider some parts superior to Earthbound in terms of impact and storytelling. There are also several humourous moments as well, though.

Combat is more polished and it's now possible to pull off combos by matching the rhythm of the enemy. The rolling damage meter also allows you to land in a few more hits or heal before your character faints, which is an interesting mechanic, although some RPG purists may object to it.

Mother 3 was never released outside of Japan but an English patch for the .rom file is available for free and can be used to play the game in English on an emulator.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:42 pm

Mother 3 is also wonderful game. It's not as long and has a much more somber tone, but it's still full of the same crazy humor and fun Itoi is famous for. It lives up to the "Mother" name, in other words. A bit harder than EB and much better graphically and combat-wise, as Shino said. I'd highly recommend it as well, so go find a GBA emulator, rom, and patch somewhere. The tagline was "Strange. Funny. Heartrending." It's pretty on the nose. It both makes you laugh and makes you want to cry.

Like I said before though, EB will always be the best to me. I remember taking the strategy guide to school and reading it in class when I was 9 or 10. I would draw pictures of the characters and write stories about them. It was the way the game touched me and what it meant to me as a kid. Looking back on it now, I still get those same feelings from it. See: my avatar.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:32 am

Awesome contributions! Keep 'em coming :D

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SimplyMason0 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:36 am

I guess Pokemon Black and White my other favorite games are Spyro for nostalgia, MGS2 for its satire and Chrono Cross for its gameplay. However I feel this game hold all of that in one. While it does not change the gameplay, it still carries great pokemon that I would replay again just to catch. Sure there are crap ones like the ice cream but that doesn't stop me. It does ditch the old pokemon but I think its okay cause it wants to focus on the new ones. I also like that the Team Badguys are actually engaging. Pokemon was never known for stories in the main games but N so far is the best and likable character in the franchise for me. Team Plasma is a Pokemon Peta organization where it tackles on the cock fighting criticism of Pokemon. It doesn't remove the fun nor does it take too much of the game. The real bad guy Ghetisis is one of those characters that you really hate cause he effected a character you like while not being too stylish. The only character that did that to me was Lotso from Toy Story.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:45 am

Final Fantasy Tactics

This game amazed me from start to finish, the plot kept escalating to levels beyond my expectations, the randomly progressing difficulty served as a reminder of how dedicated to its story the game is, things don't evolve at a calculated pace just to fit some artificial learning curve, no, they evolve as the plot demands, sometimes you are faced with challenges that seem beyond your capacity, other times things will be too easy, and the results can vary greatly depending on how it's played, as there are numerous options for customization, which, by the way, adds a lot of replay value to it. Additionally, the cute character designs combined with the tragic story make for a fun experience, there's something oddly amusing about watching those chibi characters as they stab each other.

The gameplay is another great quality, the twist to the old style of turn based RPG adds a new layer of depth to it, giving players more possibilities to choose from and increasing the weight of their decisions to the outcome of the game, but ultimately the plot is what really captivated me, it took me by surprise and left me in awe, too bad it was poorly translated.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:45 am

^
Fine choice, sir. I considered that one as well.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:52 pm

View Original PostCatamari wrote:
SPOILER: Show
It isn't too often that I find another EarthBound fan!

My personal favourite game, though, is Ocarina of Time. I replay it, yearly (I ran a stream this year). It's just so well made and so much fun to play.

You have another Earthbound fan here, still have my cartridge and I'm proud to say I've beaten all 3 games.

Fav game is Final Fantasy 7, It speaks for itself really.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:27 pm

Waifu Emblem: Awakening

Ambrosia
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ambrosia » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:49 pm

Aside from my love for The Sims because I really get a kick out of playing god, and Pokémon because it was my childhood-defining game, I'd say my favourite is SMT: Persona 3 Portable.

I haven't played the original PS2 game so I can't really compare the two, but the remake is pretty damn awesome.

SPOILER: Show
You get to play as a female - which, aside from appealing to female gamers, offers a completely different perspective on the plot as her personality and interactions are different from the male main character's -, and the game is this wonderful mix of elements reminiscent of: Pokémon, what with Tartarus being the dungeon and having turn-based Persona (kinda like your pokémon only they're technically a manifestation of your psyche) battles against Shadows, plus you can fuse your Personae to obtain more badass ones and you also have a compendium (read: PokéDex) to complete by collecting all the Personae; dating sims, as you have to improve your stats and the bonds you form and deepen with others influence your Personae but also give you the chance to date several characters at once (seriously, both MC and FeMC are frequently dubbed 'pimp' and 'pimpette' by the fanbase); apocalyptic end-of-the-world madness, complete with friend-turned-harbinger of tragedy and all. More on that in the spoilery rambling below:
[spoiler]It's hard for me not to liken Ryoji to Kaworu in a few aspects, not counting the ikemen-ness: both are around for a short amount of time, aren't entirely human, bond with the protagonist fairly quickly while declaring their affection for him/her, have the drive to return to their parent entity and said entity would bring about the end of the wonder and consequently extinction/restart of life, and ask the main character to kill them for the greater good.

Also, Aigis is wary of Ryoji, just like Rei was wary of Kaworu... Aigis being a cute emotionless robot originally made to destroy shadows, but who ends up 'becoming' much more human through her interactions with the protagonist. Oh, and just for kicks, Akira Ishida voices Ryoji in the original JP version.

There's also some interesting babble about the will to live vs mortido and sacrifices that must be made for the greater good (mostly at the end of the game), and good amounts of fanservice as you can dress up your female party members in skimpy bikinis and maid outfits and your male ones as butlers. Most of the characters you interact with have their own personal little dramas and issues going on, which I found highly entertaining. Still, don't think you have all the time in the world to take your relationships to the next level (literally speaking), as you only have one in-game year to max them all out before [s]3rd Impact[/s] doom occurs, and as if that weren't enough to keep you busy, there are still some optional quests you can take for rewards.[/spoiler]

Lastly, shooting yourself in the head to summon a Persona makes throwing a measly pokéball look as cool as a slimy, flaccid worm. Everyone should play this game just for that.
Last edited by Ambrosia on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

nervshatter
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby nervshatter » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:31 pm

Hard choice to pick 1 game outta so many great games, but ultimately I decided to go with...

Metal Gear Solid: The original MGS will always be the best in the series, as well as the best Playstation 1 game of all time in my opinion, there was just something about this title that made it so unforgettable and hard to put down, the stealth-driven gameplay, the immersive story, the unique and innovative boss fights, and the soundtrack make this one of the best if not the best PSX title ever, as well as one of the the best games of all time.
*sigh* just kill me already.

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:55 pm

View Original PostJune wrote:Waifu Emblem: Awakening

Oho, so I'm not the only one that calls it that XD
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:31 am

View Original PostAmbrosia wrote:SMT: Persona 3 Portable

Already in the list, also maybe try to spoiler it for people who still want to play it

[*spoiler*][*/spoiler*]

remove *

Ambrosia
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ambrosia » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:33 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Already in the list

I know, but there were no reviews on the thread and it was the only listed game that didn't link to anywhere. Didn't realise putting up my thoughts on it would be such a crass error, sorry.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:01 am

View Original PostAmbrosia wrote:I know, but there were no reviews on the thread and it was the only listed game that didn't link to anywhere. Didn't realise putting up my thoughts on it would be such a crass error, sorry.

Not really an error or anything :/

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:39 pm

It took me some time to come up with just one game, but by establishing a couple of rules I was able to choose my absolute favorite video game.

First of all, I decided to focus on PC games alone because I'm a PC gamer first and foremost. It was also a relief for me to see Golden Sun mentioned in this thread. If I had to rank games by how much hours I've spent playing them, Lost Age would be the no. 1 non-PC game.

Secondly, I ended up disregarding multiplayer games because in their cases, the experience depends on other players. If I need a game I can delve it into at any time, then it needs to be a singleplayer game. It meant dropping the likes of Jedi Outcast, Battlefield 2 and Guild Wars.

In the end, it came down to a choice between the magnificent writing of Mafia and overwhelming nostalgia value of Star Wars: The Knights of the Old Republic. Kotor won me over since it is the most unforgettable gaming experience for me. Although over time I have begun to prefer the sequel by far (fuck yeah, Avellone), there is no denying that the first game still holds a special place in my heart. The world design, the soundtrack and the fact that it was the first game to properly explore the vast Star Wars universe make it stand above others. While the main plot itself doesn't have that much replay value apart from seeing how the game differs based on whether you are good or evil, the various locations and side quests are quite magnificent.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Mt Olympus
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mt Olympus » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:08 am

It's difficult to say what my favorite game is, I have games that I could call my favorite because of the memories they've given me, then there's the games that provide me with great gameplay and would be considered a work of art.

Memorial games-

Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf... for the SNES; I have very fond memories playing this game with my father from my childhood. The game itself is still amazing and very fun, I would recommend giving it a try.

After Burner...for NES; Another game my father and I bonded over, for hours and hours due to it's difficulty.

Goldeneye... for N64; A genre and generation defining game. I think most of you understand. Multiplayer all day, baby!

Super Mario 64; Who doesn't know and love this game?

Great games-

Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3... for PS2; Just amazing and super fun, shatters the idea of the 6-8 hour FPS/TPS games.

World of Warcraft... up to WoTLK; So many hours, so many friends, so many memories. FOR THE HORDE!!!

All those games I listed are amazing and are my favorites, but only one thing stands above them all and it's not one game but a genre of games, Strategy(RTS, TBS) games. Command and Conquer, Starcraft, Warcraft, Civilization, and the tons of others I've played. Nothing beats these games for me, from when I got my first PC in 1995 to now I have changed my opinion on all types of games and games themselves but I have never grown tired of these games and never will. I don't hold any one of them above the other, due to the uniqueness in their mechanics and strategies, judging them would be arbitrary.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:19 pm

Sorry can't pick one. Instead i can post many favorites games!

Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Uncharted 2
The Last Of Us
Golden Sun 1 and 2
God Of War 1, 2 and 3
GTA:Liberty City Stories
Dragon Quest V PS2 Remake
Portal 2
Assassins Creed 2
Red Dead Redemption
Clive Barker's Undying
Zelda Oracle Of Ages/Oracle Of Seasons/Link's Awakening
Silent Hill 2
Gundam Extreme Versus
Bioshock Infinite
Pokemon Gold
Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow
Crisis Core Final Fanatsy VII
Devil May Cry 1 and 3
Resident Evil 4
Kingdom Hearts I and II
Prince Of Persia The Sands Of Time
Demons Souls
Dark Souls

I really can keep going since i have played and finished many games. So that's few of them.

EDIT
I just read i should pick one in the OP. Well if could pick one, that would be Final Fantasy X. I consider it the most beautiful, fun and interesting FF game. It's world is so rich and full of colours. There is a mix of old and new technology in the world of Spira combined with aeons, time travel, cool characters and a love story. The music in this game is the finest Nobuo Uematsu has ever made. Listen to this song

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-0G_FI61a8[/url]
Last edited by Dima on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:22 pm

The ninja Gaiden trilogy.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:50 pm

Dark Souls.
Forever....and always. :3 Although, Dark Souls II might surpass the first one....

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:28 pm

Geez, I can't post any decent modern game that has excited me as much as TRUE games and I would've liked to post in this thread long time ago.
I'm not a big fan on 2D shooters, but Radiant Silvergun particularly caught my attention, I know it's not the best of them all, but I'd like to define it as a piece of art, despite its difficulty (yes, even at very easy it's still hard), I like the bosses, because they're really amazing; there are lots of weapons like spread, homing plasma, homing spread, and even Backwards Wide Shot. There are no power-ups in the game, althrough you can improve the level of your weapons by doing chains by beating enemies of the same color, which makes it even harder. Also the game has awesome BGMs which remind me of Evangelion somehow. Unfortunately this game was release only in Japan on Arcades and Sega Saturn, but hopefully Treasure released a new HD remake which is only available on XBLA. Still, I have to beat the game on Normal difficulty.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”