Favorite Video Games

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:26 am

Fuck yeah, Jin. I mostly play Kazuya too, as I came up on T3 as well; and I've pretty much played the same game with Mishima-Style Karate ever since, haha.

THAT ENTRAILS SMASH. THAT RISING SUN.

:tongue:

I've been trying to pick up a bit of Dragunov lately but can't really get into him.

My brothers have a beastly Bryan and Lars, respectively. And Asuka and Jaycee are currently the bane of my existence.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:12 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:Shadow of the Colossus

And that makes two people on the forum who have played my favorite game! :D
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:46 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:And that makes two people on the forum who have played my favorite game! :D

:yippee:

Make that 3 people.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:48 pm

My favorite game/series is the .Hack//G.U. Trilogy for the PS2. I was always a .hack fan but the GU games really solidified my opinion on the franchise. The graphics, especially in cut-scenes, were phenomenal and theWORLD is such a great environment, kinda steam punk--yet it preserves the harmony with nature. I also really liked the dub voice over, the emotions were actually delivered. Plus the drama in the story together with the amazing soundtrack made the GU games my all time favorites. I could continue to praise its customization but thats a given with any JRPG. Plus Alkaid is my waifu~

But overall its just a great game, you see Haseo grow as a character very well while playing through the amazingly well crafted story

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:58 pm

Is the G.U. trilogy like the IMOQ games?

I'm still playing through those (On Mutation right now), and while I enjoy the story the grinding can feel like a little much at times.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:06 pm

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:Is the G.U. trilogy like the IMOQ games?

I'm still playing through those (On Mutation right now), and while I enjoy the story the grinding can feel like a little much at times.

They're similar---well they're both set in theWORLD, thats about it lol. The original Tetralogy games are good for the story but not quite my cup of tea when it comes to game-play. The GU games are MUCH better. If you finish the 4 games first b4 playing GU, you will enjoy it more because they do reference the events of the past (like why did Aura's statue disappear from Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground Hülle Granz Cathedral). But I would definitely recommend playing through the trilogy, that is if you can find vol.1 Rebirth for under 70$ :S

Its a very good story, and I frankly love the combat+weapon synthesizing too

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:25 pm

Oh, haha, I didn't have to worry about the price too much. I figured out a way to...acquire all of the games and play them on my PS2 rather easily.

But I'm glad to hear the gameplay is a step up in G.U. .Hack is a really fun series to try and follow (And certainly one of the more convoluted ones with all of the different games and books and shit involved), and it's kind of sad to see the IMOQ games not have exactly the greatest battle system in the world.

nervshatter
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby nervshatter » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:04 pm

I feel like making a list so dont mind me :D

NES:
-Mario Bros.
-Duck Hunt
-Megaman(never beat them till much later thanks to emulators & savestates)
-Contra
-The Legend of Zelda(never beat it)
-Metroid(never beat it)
-Castlevania(never beat it)

SNES
-Super Mario World
-Starfox
-Mario Kart
-Contra 3
-Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2
-Super Mario RPG
-Killer Instinct
-UMK3
-Secret of Mana
-Chrono Trigger
-Return of the Jedi
-Maximum Carnage
-Turtles in Time
-Super Castlevania

Sega Genesis(didnt have too much game for this console)
-Sonic games
-Robocop vs The Terminator
-MK2
-Vector Man

N64
-Mario 64
-Ocarina of Time
-Majora's Mask
-Turok 1 & 2
-Goldeneye 64
-Mario Kart 64
-Mischief Makers
-WCW Vs NwO
-WWF No Mercy
-Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
-Shadowman
-Smash Bros.
-Starfox 64
-Duke Nukem 64
-Doom 64
-Banjo Kazooie

PS1
-FF: Anthology(Favorite FF's ever!)
-FF7
-FF9
-Gundam Battle Assault
-MK4
-Parasite Eve 1 & 2
-Metal Gear Solid(Still have my copy)
-Star Ocean
-Resident Evil 1 & 2
-Dino Crisis

PS2
-MGS2
-MGS3: Subsistence
-GTA 3
-GTA: VC
-GTA: SA
-Grand Turismo 3
-Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2
-God of War
-Zone of Enders
-Need for Speed: Underground
-Onimusha 1 & 3
-DBZ: Budokai
-Tekken 4
-Star Ocean
-MK: Deception
-SOCOM
-Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 & 3
-Shadow of Colossus
-Ico

Xbox(not too many games for this)
-Halo 1 & 2
-Morrowind
-KOTOR
-Counter Strike
-Splinter Cell
-Dead or Alive 3

X360
-Halo Series
-Gears of War Series
-Oblivion
-Skyrim
-Fallout 3
-Fallout: NV
-Borderlands 1 & 2
-GTA 4
-Orange Box
-Call of Duty Series
-Red Dead Redemption
-Super Street Fighter 4
-Lost Planet(first 360 game)
-Bioshock
-Battlefield BC 2
-Mass Effect series
-Left 4 Dead 1 & 2
-Batman: Arkham Asylum
-Beautiful Katamari(lol this fucking game is fun)

Wii
-Smash Bros Brawl
-Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
-Metroid Prime

PC
-Age of Empires 1 & 2
-Starcraft
-Empire Earth
-Shogun:Total Samurai
-Quake
-Return to Wolfenstein
-The Sims
-Age of Mythology

Handheld gaming
-Pokemon Red & Blue
-Pokemon Yellow
-Pokemon Fire-red & Sapphire

PS3
-Unfortunately I never got a PS3 :sniffle:
*sigh* just kill me already.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

[LIST]Your Absolute Favorite Video Game

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:40 pm

[center]
What's your single most beloved game?

Tell me and I will add it to the list.

You know, that sort of game you just got sucked into and will always remember fondly, that sort of game.
Now, I don't want to just hear a bunch of game titles if possible, but I want you write a mini-review about why you love it.

Why do I want to do this? I guess I just wanted to start something now that we have this new sub-forum :)
We had similar things for anime in the past and I thought that it was fun, so why not?
And well, because I just want to know what sort of games evageeks love and I want to make a list out of it. (lists are rad)

If you do write a review, the post will be linked into the list for easy access.
[/center]

[center]

Titles will be ordered alphabetically

[/center]
Last edited by InstrumentalityOne on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:51 am, edited 10 times in total.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:05 pm

My top 5 games of all time tends to malleable as all hell, with me unable to ever choose a definitive #1, but thinking about it... if I'm honest to myself there's one game I spent the most time on. More time than Halo 1, Halo 2, Morrowind, or even Oblivion...

World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade

I wasn't sure whether I should say BC for two reasons. First, it's an experience that can't be imitated at this point in time. WoW has changed way too much, even XP locking yourself at 70 wouldn't imitate BC accurately. Second, as a game itself BC might not have been very good, it was instead the people that I played with that made BC so memorable. But if I accept those conditions then I'm limiting my choices. If I don't say BC because it's dead, or because it was the players that kept me hooked, then I can't say Halo 2 either, since the original Xbox Live servers were taken offline last year and it was the multiplayer element of the game that made it memorable.

The reality is I play a lot of MMO's, and not once have I ever found an MMO that even came close to mimicking the perfection that was BC. The closest I found was Vanilla Rift, but even that was merely a cheap imitation in the grand scheme of things.

God, Burning Crusade was amazing. From the leveling progression, which was organized and coherent, and yet also varied enough to not be boring, to the instances, which were unique and yet difficult enough to pose a challenge, to the raids which were undoubtedly the best I've ever experienced, perhaps the best of all time, to the open world PvP in Nagrand to the Arenas which I sucked at and yet loved, to the Battlegrounds to the classes to the talent trees to the dailies to the factions to Shattrath to patches all the way up to the ultimate climactic finish, the greatest patch I've ever had the pleasure of playing through, 2.4 with Sunwell Plateau and the Isle of Quel'Danas...

Yea, Burning Crusade, definitely the one game I "got sucked into and will always remember fondly."
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:42 pm

I could select my all-time favorite based on play-time, in which case it would likely fall to Guild Wars, Pokemon, Mass Effect, Fire Emblem Awakening, or Skyrim. I could pick Virtue's Last Reward or one of the few games that make me react extremely emotionally, but although it is near the top of my list, I'd have to wait a very long time for me to find the game as enjoyable as it was the first playthrough. I could go for the most enthusiastically I completed a game, in which case Mass Effect and Tales of Symphonia crop up again. Sifting through absolutely every game I've ever played, the one that stands out most in my mind is

Golden Sun & Golden Sun 2: The Lost Age: Now, I'm going to cheat a little bit and name these two as my top favorite, because in effect they are just one long game/story split over two cartridges (probably because the technology of the age necessitated it). The spritework is positively brilliant - even on a GBA you are immersed in this wonderful fantasy realm that feels really magical (pardon the term, since it's really psynergy). Furthermore, the music knocks the socks off other games of the era.

Yeah, it's a JRPG, and the battle mechanics are somewhat standard. However, the rich visuals and the chance for your weapon to unleash a devastating special attack keeps things fresh and exciting. Furthermore, the class system is based upon combination of Djinni, so you can create all sorts of party builds. Admittedly, the first few times I played, I went with a vanilla "assign elemental Djinni to people of that element" build, but when I did first change it up a bit, I was wowed.

Then there's the plot, which is designed to draw you in right from the get-go. It's not "once upon a time, there was a thing, and then a series of events happened." It's "Hey, there's a calamity befalling your village right now, you might wanna go fix that." And the character development, by gods the character development. Especially in the second game, where you start to follow the "villains" and then all the plot twists. Also, sidequests. Sidequests galore, and I love it.

Seriously, I'mma stop writing now and just let you go play it. Go, go, I'll wait.
Last edited by Agentomega on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:58 pm

SMT 3: Lucifer's Call

At first it seem like glorified Pokemon. There are wierd looking enemies randomly popping up, and you can one way or another collect them and add to you team, that will fight in classic turn based RPG battles with random encounters on maps. But as it progress you start to see the real awesomeness.

First of all, this game is hard. When it's on normal mode. On hard, its brutal and unforgiving. World is vast and full of things that want to graind your ass. Save points are scarce and inbetween you will meet a vast array of opposition and traps.

And yet It's still addictive. To see a new enemy or new power. Story is compelling, mystery and characters motives are interesting, and it frequently asks you what kind of world would fit you? What life would you wish to live. And who is right in this whole madhouse.

And of course there is benefit of being a total badass. Who needs armor or weapons? You will be tanking bullets with your bnare chest, and ripping a new one in mythological gods with bare hands.

Besides...

This speaks for itself

SPOILER: Show
http://gallery.minitokyo.net/download/413004
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Valyria Chronicles: This game man. I can´t even say what I like most about this game. Is it the amazing soundtrack, the fun gameplay, the interesting characters, the story? I don´t know. My save says I played it for over 150 hours and I still play it from time to time. Sure, by this point I can almost beat the entire game with my eyes closed,(except for the two final battles, they are hard) but it´s great to try different strategies in every battle.

Leveling up your soldiers and getting better weapons for them is just so fun. And when one of my soldiers died I was so sad I restarted the battle.

One last thing I have to mention is the backstory they give to everything, the stories, the weapons, etc.
You see, I have this "I must read everything this game shows me" habit.

So, yeah. This is my favorite game.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:18 pm

As I've iterated many times before: Shadow of the Colossus is most probably my favorite game of all time. SotC is one of the very few games that's made me go into full tilt [s]落とし神-モド[/s] completionist mode, and the introduction of trophies in the HD remake did not help that at all. I've played through the game eight times and I would still enjoy going through it again. If you have a PS2 or PS3 and haven't played this game, click on those links and buy it. NOW.

...DO IT.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:35 pm

I gotta go with Chrono Trigger. This game just did everything exactly right from start to finish... all 13 of them. Arguably the best graphics and sound of it's gaming generation, fun and engaging story with extremely memorable characters, groundbreaking battle mechanics that I'm still boggled no other game I've played has successfully copied, and all of the game mechanics and narrative work together to perfectly express the game's theme of adventures in causality.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:10 pm

Silent Hill 2 is probably one of my favourite (if not my favourite) video games. The game's atmosphere and attention to detail are just amazing. Admittedly some of the puzzles might seem a bit nonsensical and combat and controls are sluggish at best, the story and setting more than make up for it. If you haven't palyed it yet, the game is a follows James Sunderland, a man who has come to the little tourist town of Silent Hill to find his wife Mary, who apparently died three years ago but has managed to send him a letter, telling him she is waiting in Silent Hill. The game often plays with your head, making you question James's personality, as well as possibly your own. For example, at one point you manage to acquire a flashlight and venture into a room which was pitch-black before. Your first discovery? A bloodstained corpse. A bloodstained corpse that is identical in appearance to James. No explanation is every given for the inexplicable events you witness throughout the game- sometimes James doesn't even comment on them, but they all hold some metaphorical significance about the nature of the motivations and emotions of the characters who are trapped in Silent Hill. Even the nightmarish monsters you encounter are symbolic, representing concepts such as anxiety, sexual frustration or aggression. The game is also infamous for introducing Pyramid Head. Despite being generally overused in every installment of the franchise since, in Silent Hill 2 Pyramid Head is at his best. Who is he? Why is he following you? You'll encounter Pyramid Head many times throughout the game, and with each meeting he becomes more enigmatic.

Silent Hill 2 is definitely very different from most modern survival horror games, in which your enemies are typically just fantastically detailed zombies (or some permutation thereof) and most of the scares involving something jumping out of somewhere when you weren't expecting it., or copious amounts of blood, bile or ooze. Often you won't be scared so much as disturbed; rather than thinking "OMG OMG OMG it came out of the vent!" you'll be thinking "What the fuck was that?". The graphics are also fairly good for a game produced over a decade ago. It's the only true survival horror game (besides, arguably, Silent Hill 3 and Fatal Frame 2) that I can say I actually enjoyed.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:14 pm

Picking a favorite game is impossible because there are many different games I think are the best for many different reasons. However, the game I remember loving the most from my childhood, and still today, is EarthBound, aka Mother 2.

I remember getting it as a gift from my mom and having no idea what it was, just going in blind and getting hooked from the start. I poured hours into that game, eagerly awaiting every next step of the journey. I remember staying home from school on some holiday and playing all day long, the first time I'd marathoned a game like that. I love the music, the wacky humor and characters, the overall charm. It's a game that will always be dear to me. I love the other two games in the series, but EB will always be in my heart as the one that started it all.

The battle system was antiquated by 1995's standards, basically just copied from Dragon Quest. The battle system isn't where the enjoyment comes from though. It's simple, effective, and serves its purpose. It's the charmingly absurd humor and wacky characters that endear it to people. The warped view of Americana, and the fun of the journey. It was also different in that it wasn't about demons and wizards, all that high fantasy stuff that most RPGs were doing back then. It was set in the present day. You were a kid with a baseball bat, a girl with a frying pan, a kid genius with a ray gun, all on a mission to stop some evil alien overlord from going back in time and destroying civilization. All the whacked out characters you meet who are demented parodies of your next door neighbors. The present day setting was something that I found again in Persona 3 and 4, but in a different way. I can go on and on about the game, but I'll leave it at that. If any old-school RPG fans, and people who like weird, but charming absurdist things haven't checked it out, it's well worth your time.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:24 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:EarthBound
SPOILER: Show
It isn't too often that I find another EarthBound fan!

My personal favourite game, though, is Ocarina of Time. I replay it, yearly (I ran a stream this year). It's just so well made and so much fun to play.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:26 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:Picking a favorite game is impossible because there are many different games I think are the best for many different reasons. However, the game I remember loving the most from my childhood, and still today, is EarthBound, aka Mother 2.

I remember getting it as a gift from my mom and having no idea what it was, just going in blind and getting hooked from the start. I poured hours into that game, eagerly awaiting every next step of the journey. I remember staying home from school on some holiday and playing all day long, the first time I'd marathoned a game like that. I love the music, the wacky humor and characters, the overall charm. It's a game that will always be dear to me. I love the other two games in the series, but EB will always be in my heart as the one that started it all.

The battle system was antiquated by 1995's standards, basically just copied from Dragon Quest. The battle system isn't where the enjoyment comes from though. It's simple, effective, and serves its purpose. It's the charmingly absurd humor and wacky characters that endear it to people. The warped view of Americana, and the fun of the journey. It was also different in that it wasn't about demons and wizards, all that high fantasy stuff that most RPGs were doing back then. It was set in the present day. You were a kid with a baseball bat, a girl with a frying pan, a kid genius with a ray gun, all on a mission to stop some evil alien overlord from going back in time and destroying civilization. All the whacked out characters you meet who are demented parodies of your next door neighbors. The present day setting was something that I found again in Persona 3 and 4, but in a different way. I can go on and on about the game, but I'll leave it at that. If any old-school RPG fans, and people who like weird, but charming absurdist things haven't checked it out, it's well worth your time.

Personally I prefer Mother 3, Earthbound's sequel, if only because it's more advanced in terms of controls. I have also played a bit of Earthbound and find it quite enjoyable, though. I wouldn't call it my favourite game though, if only because I'm terrible at RPGs.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:28 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Personally I prefer Mother 3, Earthbound's sequel, if only because it's more advanced in terms of controls. I have also played a bit of Earthbound and find it quite enjoyable, though.

Whatever you say, Reichu. :lol:

Despite being a big fan of EarthBound, I can't say I've played the sequel. How does it stack up?
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”