Asuka incident

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:49 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:No, I like the conversation. I think it was very important. When I think of Shikinami and what makes her her I think of that conversation often.

Maybe my sarcasm meter is broken. Aside from the "like" part, I agreed with everything you just said.

RedMeteor
Embryo

Re: [Spoilers] Asuka incident

•      
  •      

Postby RedMeteor » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:47 am

Guys, was it a clue that something would hapen to Asuka's left eye? The blue cross thingy is at the center of her eye. The eyes are the mirror of the soul, after all.

SPOILER: Show

Teh eye redux

Could it be? Sorry if old news

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TruthfulLie » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:43 am

I do believe there is a separate thread exclusively for the topic of her left eye where you might find more discussion about the eye.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:53 am

All about that here: http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13654/-Asukas-Left-Eye-in-30/

RedMeteor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby RedMeteor » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:03 am

View Original PostTruthfulLie wrote:I do believe there is a separate thread exclusively for the topic of her left eye where you might find more discussion about the eye.

But I'm not talking about Asuka's eye, I'm talking about the fact that the hidden drawing has a blue cross in the center of the eye too.

Thanks for the link Ornette

Koritsuyuutsu
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Koritsuyuutsu » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:05 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:KAWORU: This isn't like you.
Asuka: It's not like me?
KAWORU: Because happiness doesn't suit you.
Asuka: The happy me... is scary. So I'll return to the usual me.

Replying to an old thread because I don't think that this is related enough to Asuka's eye.

Correct me if so, but would it be absurd to link this to how Kaworu disappears into some sort of tunnel before the "doors of guf" close in 3.0? The symbol (circle + 4 perpendicular intersects) that appears in Unit-03's entry plug is similar to that of the DoG, and before the DoG close in 3.0, Kaworu appears to be flying into a tunnel (which you could assume is the white circle in the centre). No idea what this could mean or imply, but I thought it was interesting that the symbol that we see for the doors of guf in 3.0 is the same as in the entry plug, and coming here I find that Kaworu was going to have dialogue in that scene.
SPOILER: Show
ImageImageImage

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:17 am

^
Interesting theory, then the question would be why Kaworu (if it was indeed him in EVA-03) communicated with Asuka to seemingly mind rape her?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:25 am

Interesting, this could have several implications. I'll list a few speculative options off the top of my head.

1. Asuka has been beyond the Doors of Guf during the 9th Angel incident, and it has left its mark on her. Perhaps a part of her was even left behind (thus incorporating an element of Kyoko into Shikinami).

2. What if what is hidden behind Asuka's eyepatch is an actual Door of Guf, sealed in place by the eyepatch? If that is the case, Asuka could be a walking, talking portal to the extradimensional space that opened during the Near-Third and Fourth Impacts. Perhaps she can see into that space, and perhaps she can even allow others to look into it, by removing the eyepatch and allowing them to look into her eye.

Check out this other thread too. It argues a suggestion that Gendo and Fuyutsuki have gone through the Doors of Guf during Fourth Impact, while the kids and the Wunder were all fighting down in Terminal Dogma.
[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/14387/Gone-to-Guf-Back-for-Final-Love-Gen-and-Fuyu/[/url]

Putting these suggestions together, during FINAL Asuka might even start seeing things with here left eye that had probably not seen anything but black emptiness for fourteen years.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:09 am

^
Wait, you mean that Asuka has an interdimensional portal in place of her eye!? :cringe:

No offense, but that look completely far fetched : it was shown thorough the Rebuils that opening a Door of Guf requires an immense power, one that only a Seed of Life or an awakened Evangelion can generate, how could Asuka possibly have a DoG on her eye?

Besides I really doubt that Misato would let something that dangerous run around the Wunder, and even less to help WILLE by piloting a freakin' Eva.

The fact the eye glows the exact same shade of blue than Bardiel's core seems to indicate that her eye has simply an angelic infection relation to that Angel.

As for your first theory, there isn't any mention that a mother's soul is needed to pilot an Eva in the Rebuild, supported by how we saw Mari piloting Units 05, 02 and 08, Asuka piloting Units 02 and 03, and Shinji piloting Units 01 and 13.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Corpex
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Corpex » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:22 am

Asuka doesnt seems very disturbed when she takes Shinji out the entry plug at the end of 3.0.

This scene happens when Mari ejected Shinji from EVA13. Could it means Kaworu´s Soul stayed inside EVA13? what would happen if Nerv takes both Longinus Spears from EVA13 (Adam body) with an Adam Soul inside (kaworu´s soul)?

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:58 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:^
Wait, you mean that Asuka has an interdimensional portal in place of her eye!? :cringe:

No offense, but that look completely far fetched : it was shown thorough the Rebuils that opening a Door of Guf requires an immense power, one that only a Seed of Life or an awakened Evangelion can generate, how could Asuka possibly have a DoG on her eye?

If during the 9th Angel incident, either a little bit of Asuka was sucked into an alternate dimesion (where it could be either the Chamber of Guf or a Dirac Sea), or a little bit of the Angel is on that other side and another little bit still resides in Asuka, quantum correspondence theory could account for a link between the two halves. Evangelion has used quantum mechanics in the past.

And I'm not suggesting it is actually an end-of-the-world-sized portal as we see during Impacts, but rather a tiny, keyhole-sized window to peek through. After all, don't they say that "the eyes are the window to the soul"?

Perhaps an Angel's and Evangelion's core exists in both worlds at the same time. (Recall that Rei's soul imprisoned in the 10th Angel's ("Zeruel's") core appeared to float in a black room that probably had no equivalent in physical space.) Perhaps a human or Angel's soul can never fully exist in the physical world, and will always exist in the Chamber of Guf at least in part.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Besides I really doubt that Misato would let something that dangerous run around the Wunder, and even less to help WILLE by piloting a freakin' Eva.

However, Misato is a also big softie who decided not to kill Shinji, even when she had good reason to. Remember that Misato and Asuka actually bonded right before the 9th Angel attack, and Misato has adopted Asuka as a surrogate daughter just as much as she had adopted Shinji as a surrogate son.

Besides, who is to say that the eypatch (which already features Angel-sealing glyphs) does not also contain a DSS-choker-type safeguard that will kill Asuka if whatever is in her eye socket becomes dangerously active?
(Asuka did not want to discuss her eye with Shinji, and was more than a little annoyed when he kept bringing it up.)

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:02 pm

^Yeah, I was under the impression that Asuka was sucked into the Angel's core, given that she is shown surrounded by red core material, and external scans show the entry plug as the Angel's core. It is possible that the core is linked to Guf somehow, or that the Guf-space has similar properties to the core interior although Kaworu's transition along the white tunnel doesn't really resemble Asuka getting pushed into the blue cross shape.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:10 pm

If Asuka's head blows apart in the middle of Final I hope instead of screaming Shinji just looks at the camera and goes, 'Oh come on.'
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:37 pm

@ Jorno : I don't know, I just find the idea of a keyhole-sized hole to another dimension in Asuka's face... kind of ridiculous.

As for the black space where Rei was after being eaten by Zeruel, it was Zeruel's core itself, the scene was just a representation of Shinji becoming intangible an infiltrating the Angel's core to extract Rei's soul from there.

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:However, Misato is a also big softie who decided not to kill Shinji, even when she had good reason to. Remember that Misato and Asuka actually bonded right before the 9th Angel attack, and Misato has adopted Asuka as a surrogate daughter just as much as she had adopted Shinji as a surrogate son.

Besides, who is to say that the eypatch (which already features Angel-sealing glyphs) does not also contain a DSS-choker-type safeguard that will kill Asuka if whatever is in her eye socket becomes dangerously active?
(Asuka did not want to discuss her eye with Shinji, and was more than a little annoyed when he kept bringing it up.)

Even if she couldn't kill Shinji, she still put a bomb collar on him an explicitly prohibited him to pilot an Eva ever again because he might still be an Impact Trigger (Mark.09 coming for Shinji was the confirmation), so do you think that she would take the risk of having Asuka piloting an Eva if she has a permanent opening to the dimension that tends to ravage the planet, even if she wear a sealing eyepatch and it might be a DSS too?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:16 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:@ Jorno :
Even if she couldn't kill Shinji, she still put a bomb collar on him an explicitly prohibited him to pilot an Eva ever again because he might still be an Impact Trigger (Mark.09 coming for Shinji was the confirmation), so do you think that she would take the risk of having Asuka piloting an Eva if she has a permanent opening to the dimension that tends to ravage the planet, even if she wear a sealing eyepatch and it might be a DSS too?

Well y'know what they say. . .

'Needs arise when the devil drives"

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:23 pm

Well...Asuka did have fourteen years to prove herself. And because so much of the movie is from Shinji's perspective...what's to say she doesn't have her own crap to deal with?
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:24 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Even if she couldn't kill Shinji, she still put a bomb collar on him an explicitly prohibited him to pilot an Eva ever again because he might still be an Impact Trigger (Mark.09 coming for Shinji was the confirmation), so do you think that she would take the risk of having Asuka piloting an Eva if she has a permanent opening to the dimension that tends to ravage the planet, even if she wear a sealing eyepatch and it might be a DSS too?

The difference is that Asuka is clearly a victim; she never had a choice in what happened to her when the 9th Angel "Bardiel" got her (except not happening to be there when it did), while Shinji (ostensibly) initiated the events at the end of Rebuild 2.0.

Also, Asuka was involved in an Angel attack, while Shinji was involved (and arguably the cause) of a (Near-)Impact. That's a different category.
(Besides, Asuka might not even be an Impact trigger despite being Angel-contaminated.)

As mentioned above, Asuka has had (close to) 14 years to gain (or regain) Misato's trust. I don't believe Shinji has even had 14 minutes of her time.

Finally, there is a similarity between Asuka and Misato that Shinji does not share: Asuka is a survivor of a dreadful Angel attack and bears the scars to prove it, just like Misato. They both suffered.
WILLE certainly does not operate on the assumption that Shinji has suffered inside Unit-01. Rather, some of them (especially Ritsuko) state the opinion that he deserves punishment. (While being stuck inside an entry plug apparently does not even count.)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:41 pm

@ Gob : I'm pretty sure that Asuka has her own ton of crap to deal with, yeas.

@ Jorno : Except that Shinji didn't had any clue that his Eva would initiate an Impact, or even that it could initiate an Impact. He's as much a victim as Asuka, not that we know if WILLE thinks like that or that he was ready to willingly sacrifice the planet to get Rei back.

And even if she had 14 years to gain back Misato's trust (and I agree that she more than probably had to earn it back with her angelic infection), I still can't see her trusting Asuka with piloting ever again if she has a direct connection with the DoG, it's not like in NGE with the mother's soul required, here Misato could had recruited another pilot for the task.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:52 pm

Perhaps they don't realize the full implication of the Eye. They know that it's infected, they know it's Angelic, they THINK it's contained, and they slapped band-aids on everything else. Why not on their Pilot, especially when they're short on alternatives?
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:37 pm

^
The problem here is that they shouldn't be short on alternatives, since unlike in NGE, an Eva can be piloted by anyone having the "gift" to pilot an Eva. (Unit 01 being the only exception)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”