Scenes that bothered you in 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
TheDrmcvey
Lilith

Scenes that bothered you in 3.0

•      
  •      

Postby TheDrmcvey » Thu May 30, 2013 1:58 pm

Before you even consider as to what I'm trying to say, I will tell you that I enjoyed most of the movie in its entirety. However, there was one scene in the movie that didn't seem to fit in to what the movie was trying to tell, and that was the scene where Asuka's Eva-02 unit turned beast mode when confronting the Adams Vessel.

Firstly, I think the transformation was unbelievable because of how fast it transformed. In 2.0, a beast mode transformation took time for the unit and the pilot to adjust to before it engaged in battle, this one doesn't.

Secondly, it doesn't transition well into the next scene with Shinji and Kaworu. As an audience, we're forced to adjust from an intense action scene to an emotional scene, and I don't think the transition fits well in the film. If they had a longer scene in between the two, then I think it might have worked a lot better.

Although that was the only scene I had a problem with, I'm sure that everyone else has a scene that bothered them as we'll or probably didn't think was needed.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by TheDrmcvey on Thu May 30, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eva Rebirth

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:03 pm

Remember, 14 years passed between 2.0 and 3.0. They may have streamlined the Beast Mode / Code 777 transformation during that time. Asuka's probably had quite a bit of practice with the new form as well.

I think "abrupt" is exactly what Anno was going for with that scene transition.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

TheDrmcvey
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TheDrmcvey » Thu May 30, 2013 2:12 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Remember, 14 years passed between 2.0 and 3.0. They may have streamlined the Beast Mode / Code 777 transformation during that time. Asuka's probably had quite a bit of practice with the new form as well.

I think "abrupt" is exactly what Anno was going for with that scene transition.

True, I do agree that she might've gone through some training in the past with Mari to learn about beast mode, but I feel like this scene was too rushed and unnecessary for this movie. It probably would've worked a lot better in the next film.

I would've liked it more if she had taken the unit head on without the transformation and then self-destructed. I think that would've been more effective.
Eva Rebirth

Psychodrake
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Psychodrake » Thu May 30, 2013 2:31 pm

You can't really say that the beast scene was TOO quick, consider what was happening during that scene, Asuka had limited time to remove the Vessel of Adams from the Wunder and on a split second decision, she activated the beast mode and went on a full offensive.

If it was any slower she would have been blown up. I think what makes the scene so powerful in the movie is that it's so sudden, and before you really take it in, it's over. That's an Evangelion staple though.

Fast action scenes have one major advantage in that they're a lot more hard-hitting. A lot of anime draw out action scenes with pointless talking - Eva also does this, just rarely. This makes battles less intense. When there's not much talking and the scene just plays out, it has a lot more impact, especially with the sort of brutality that Eva puts forward e.g. stuff actually dies when it gets hit and it also compliments an idea of the fragility of life.

Anyway, the scene that really irks me is the piano scene with the musical notes and the horses running through the field. It's just a bit TOO in-your-face, there's none of that Eva subtlety or awkwardness and the stills are just a bit lazy.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu May 30, 2013 2:41 pm

View Original PostPsychodrake wrote:Anyway, the scene that really irks me is the piano scene with the musical notes and the horses running through the field. It's just a bit TOO in-your-face, there's none of that Eva subtlety or awkwardness and the stills are just a bit lazy.

I hated that specific scene cause of extreme amounts of GAY it was emitting. The relationship between the two was already intimate from all the blushing Shinji did when Kaworu stared at him, we didn't any colorful pianos notes with horses and closeups of the two together.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Thu May 30, 2013 2:48 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:I hated that specific scene cause of extreme amounts of GAY it was emitting. The relationship between the two was already intimate from all the blushing Shinji did when Kaworu stared at him, we didn't any colorful pianos notes with horses and closeups of the two together.

Agree 100%. I loved Disney's Fantasia as much as the next guy, but what the FUCK is it doing in my Evangelion movie??
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Thu May 30, 2013 2:51 pm

View Original PostJurrasic wrote:Agree 100%. I loved Disney's Fantasia as much as the next guy, but what the FUCK is it doing in my Evangelion movie??

Foreshadowing that Gendo will transform into Chernabog as a final boss? :lol:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Scenes that bothered you in 3.0

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu May 30, 2013 4:30 pm

View Original PostTheDrmcvey wrote:Secondly, it doesn't transition well into the next scene with Shinji and Kaworu. As an audience, we're forced to adjust from an intense action scene to an emotional scene, and I don't think the transition fits well in the film. If they had a longer scene in between the two, then I think it might have worked a lot better.
I disagree with this. The "action" began quite a while back when Eva-02' first fought Eva-13 in Lilith's chamber. The VotA's destruction merely marks the end of a very long sequence.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Thu May 30, 2013 11:43 pm

I liked the opening orbital battle sequence and the scene where Professor Fuyutsuki sits down and talks to Shinji. Sorry, but just about everything else bothered me.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri May 31, 2013 1:50 am

I've mentioned this in another thread already, but it bears repeating:

The scene where Kaworu magically takes the DSS Choker off Shinji and, for no real reason other than to establish himself as "SPACE JESUS", decides to put it on himself rather than chuck it in a wastebasket. Any hope I had of him living beyond 3.0 (and by extension Anno doing something new and unexpected) was dashed then and there....a full half hour before he actually bit it. His fate was pretty much sealed at that point and thus the climactic death scene later on was actually made quite anticlimactic.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Tian
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tian » Fri May 31, 2013 11:59 am

I was bothered by how quickly Shinji learned to play the piano. He was all "No I don't play piano" but he totally knows how to play. I could have done without the abstract scene with notes and horses too...

I also agree with Guy Nacks about taking off the DSS Choker. Being able to take it off so easily kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? Or does Kaworu really have magical DSS Choker removing powers? It should have been a subdermal implant or something IMO.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:14 pm

View Original PostTian wrote:I was bothered by how quickly Shinji learned to play the piano. He was all "No I don't play piano" but he totally knows how to play. I could have done without the abstract scene with notes and horses too...

Someone speculated in another thread that what we see actually takes place over days or weeks, and Shinji gradually improves over time rather than knowing how to play from the start. Hence the abstract sequence.

I could have done without the horse, though, that's really taking the phrase "baloney pony" to a new level....
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri May 31, 2013 12:21 pm

Every scene that had Kaworu's cocos murderer chin bothered me a bit. :|

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:25 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:murderer chin

Murderer chin? You mean how pointy it is?

Well, if we were to analyse how an anime character's anatomy would function in real life, I'm sure we'd be plenty disturbed.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri May 31, 2013 12:29 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Someone speculated in another thread that what we see actually takes place over days or weeks, and Shinji gradually improves over time rather than knowing how to play from the start. Hence the abstract sequence.

I could have done without the horse, though, that's really taking the phrase "baloney pony" to a new level....
Another theory is that Kaworu used some Angel Magic Hax to infuse Shinji with insta-knowledge of the piano, because it's kinda hard to picture WILLE staying on standby around neo-NERV HQ during weeks without doing anything while Gendo got his hands on an Impact Trigger!
And yeah the rainbow colors and horse were a bit tad much! :tongue:

As for the DSS Choker, remember that in NGE Kaworu could control electronics through his AT Field, so it's possible that he did the same thing to remove Shinji's collar. As for why he put it on him, he had various reasons :
1/ to convince Shinji to come with him by shouldering the risks if things go wrong(yes you can say it was guilt-tripping)
2/ to be able to stop the process if things go wrong(which they did, had Kaworu not sacrificed himself, EVA-13 wouldn't have lost enough power to begin to fall and Mari wouldn't have been able to reach it and eject Shinji, thus closing the Door of Guf)
3/ as he said, he always planned to take the DSS Choker from Shinji, he probably planned to die at some time because he's an Angel after all.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Fri May 31, 2013 12:37 pm

The piano thing bothered me. The rapid learning... sucked. Do a better job of implying time passes.

The lack of Kaji bothered me.

The completely inexplicable changes to the landscape really bothered me. Teeth just DO NOT make sense. Neither did the moon. Nor the Eva shaped failures everywhere. None of that was visible at the time Eva-01 got speared.

It simply doesn't seem like the successor to 2.0. It feels like a 3rd movie from some other Rebuild of Evangelion.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri May 31, 2013 12:45 pm

The cold shoulder treatment from most of Wille staff towards Shinji is what bothered me the most.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Tian
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tian » Fri May 31, 2013 1:05 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:The cold shoulder treatment from most of Wille staff towards Shinji is what bothered me the most.

I actually really liked that. Kind of makes sense (depending on your view of whether or not Shinji was responsible for Third Impact), and established the tone of the movie.

Shinoyami65 wrote:Someone speculated in another thread that what we see actually takes place over days or weeks, and Shinji gradually improves over time rather than knowing how to play from the start. Hence the abstract sequence.

Yeah I think at least a couple of days passed between his arrival at Nerv and the last battle. But literally on his very first time playing, he starts with just two fingers but then gets both hands involved and starts playing like someone who knows what he's doing. I've had the Rock Band 3 keytar for years and I can still barely play that thing (fewer keys, easier songs too)!

Stikuru
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Stikuru » Fri May 31, 2013 1:14 pm

The mental breakdown of Shinji that just made him look extremely drunk really irritated me.
The horses and piano thing also bothered me.

The only real issue I had with a lot of other scenes is that they weren't long enough (such as talking with Sakura, or the explanation of the world by Kaworu)
Last edited by Stikuru on Fri May 31, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Masterblast
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Masterblast » Fri May 31, 2013 2:19 pm

Whats the twelfth angel?
I saw a clip on YouTube (yes, I didn't have the chance to go to Japan) and Mk 6 was starting to go crazy. Bardiel isn't the 12'th, he's the 9'th.
or is Mk 6 the 12'th?
but I felt Karouws sacrifice was better than the original, and the music's better.
What did Gendo do to the SEELE monoliths? Are they people, or computer like things?
Last edited by Masterblast on Fri May 31, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”