Official Rebuild Dub Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:45 pm

Nope. Not until the dub of 4.0 comes out, anyway. Then I might consider watching all of the Evangelion media dubbed for teh lulz.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri May 31, 2013 1:09 am

Speaking for the exiled --
View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:As unmarked Q spoilers are popping up everywhere, i'll be taking a leave of absence until i get my hands on the dub.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:13 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Speaking for the exiled --

Ah yeah, I was going to mention Donut. He's the only one I know of who's crazy enough to try to stay unspoiled until the dub comes out. :lol:
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Fri May 31, 2013 6:23 am

Dont get me wrong, Im not a fan of the dub over the sub and would be no more or less happy if there was no dub, im just interested in what the actors do with the material and how certain things are translated and so on.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Fri May 31, 2013 7:12 am

Nope. I don't care about the English and I've seen the German dub just recently and that was enough suffixes and shitty pronunciations to make any weeaboo dwarf.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri May 31, 2013 9:09 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Ah yeah, I was going to mention Donut. He's the only one I know of who's crazy enough to try to stay unspoiled until the dub comes out. :lol:

I don't know whether I should congratulate him or pity him.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri May 31, 2013 9:50 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Ah yeah, I was going to mention Donut. He's the only one I know of who's crazy enough to try to stay unspoiled until the dub comes out. :lol:

Anta baka Donut-kun??

I'm finnish, so i can't tell if a certain shows dub is bad or not.
But when they sound like bunch of retards, then i'm certain that the dub sucks. :asuka_thumbsup:

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri May 31, 2013 11:47 am

Surprised no one mentioned Brina Palencia yet. Looking forward to hearing Rei Q through her rendition.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:52 am

I've never heard the Rebuild dub (yet) so I can't really say yay or nay in this. But generally I prefer Japanese voices to dub (if only so I can hear official Engrish renditions of key terms and items, as well as further my understanding of the language).
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Fri May 31, 2013 1:44 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Surprised no one mentioned Brina Palencia yet. Looking forward to hearing Rei Q through her rendition.

I think the best decision the dub team ever made was telling her not to watch NGE. Like it or not at least she doesnt just do a AWL impression.

Masterblast
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Masterblast » Fri May 31, 2013 3:03 pm

Jerry Jewell didn't play Karouw before did he?
I don't care. As long as Karouw doesn't sound like a stuffy nose bitch again.
He sounded awful when he said "come Adams dark shadow, servant of the Lillian". I swear, I gave so many face palms to my face...
EDIT: you know what, I'm just gonna dub it myself. Maybe get some of my friends to play some roles and I'll be done. Now, how much does 3.33 cost?

Nando
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nando » Fri May 31, 2013 9:54 pm

To answer the two questions posed in the OP:

First off, John Swasey said at a recent con that they're "working on it" when asked about the status of 3.33's dub. That would suggest to me at least some people at Funimation have seen it.

To answer the main question, I'm eagerly looking forward to it. 3.33 was the first Evangelion I saw in Japanese first, so I'm very interested in seeing how some of the roles (especially Shinji and Misato, as mentioned above) are portrayed. I'm also a fan of some of the cast so seeing them in great roles is always a plus.

View Original PostMasterblast wrote:Jerry Jewell didn't play Karouw before did he?
I don't care. As long as Karouw doesn't sound like a stuffy nose bitch again.

Greg Ayers was Kaworu in the dub of the original series. I never cared for him (in any of his roles, to be honest) so I already favor Jerry Jewell, but even in his limited role in the first two films he's done well. He has the basic sound of Ayers's Kaworu voice, but his is a little deeper and it sounds better as a result.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri May 31, 2013 10:28 pm

View Original PostNando wrote:Greg Ayers was Kaworu in the dub of the original series. I never cared for him (in any of his roles, to be honest) so I already favor Jerry Jewell, but even in his limited role in the first two films he's done well. He has the basic sound of Ayers's Kaworu voice, but his is a little deeper and it sounds better as a result.

Didn't Kaworu have a different dub in the directors cut of Ep. 24? And his dub in EoE sounds different also.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri May 31, 2013 10:51 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Wow, folks here on EvaGeeks are sure some hardcore purists. Must suck to be a dubbie then.

I'd like to state that I started out as a dub fan. Even though it was years later, watching the show entirely in Japanese was a transformative experience. It was as if I was watching it for the first time. I have not watched it in dub for personal enjoyment since.

Mt Olympus
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mt Olympus » Fri May 31, 2013 11:20 pm

I'm looking forward to the dub. I don't consider one above the other since they both have their positives and negatives. I can't truly opine on either or until I learn Japanese and when I do I don't think I would be nearly as opinionated as most.

I've always found those with such strong opinions on the matter rather extreme and illogical... but that goes for most things, even outside of Eva.

I'm mostly excited for Asuka's English rendition, but also looking forward to the new crew aboard Wunder.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri May 31, 2013 11:31 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I'd like to state that I started out as a dub fan. Even though it was years later, watching the show entirely in Japanese was a transformative experience. It was as if I was watching it for the first time. I have not watched it in dub for personal enjoyment since.

I'm still a fan of the dub and looking forward to 3.33's, but you're right about there being a jarring contrast between the two. I think Asuka's one of the more striking examples; on the whole, Miyamura's comes across as mischievous and far less abrasive than Grant's. On the other hand, I greatly prefer Allison Keith's Misato and Palencia's Rei to their alternate voices.

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SimplyMason0 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:49 pm

I don't mind.

I do want to hear more on Kaworu and hear what Sakura will sound like.

Nando
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nando » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:48 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Didn't Kaworu have a different dub in the directors cut of Ep. 24? And his dub in EoE sounds different also.

I'd have to go back and have another look; I can't honestly say this is something I ever noticed before.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:03 am

Absolutely, the DCs have a different Kaworu (Greg Ayres) with a completely different approach. He's as good as the original (Kyle Sturdivant) was awful. Aaron Krohn supplied his few lines in Death/EOE. Effective, if quite Kaji-ish.

IMO, Grant turned in her best work on the DCs, so I'm looking forward to her take on Q. The more subdued moments of Episode 22's DC have a lot in common with the latest film. That's the fun, here -- by and large, Q offers an opportunity to re-approach the characters, so it'll be interesting to see what the VAs come up with.

If they cast a good group of bridge bunnies, I could see preferring the dub's version of Wunder's first flight to the sub's. I have no problem with a barrage of subtitles, but that sequence's ENDLESS techno-babble gets a bit irritating. This stuff is supposed to be background noise, shouting that contributes to the tension. Subtitled, it distracts from the visuals, which are the important thing at that moment.

Really anticipating Jerry Jewel's work. That's a big X factor. He has a tremendous tightrope to walk. It would be VERY easy to play Kaworu as a villain... which he may turn out to be, but you can't sell it that way. You can't even really look to the sub's performance, because that in and of itself is pretty damn ambiguous.

jimmiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jimmiel » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:29 am

I find the Rebuild English dubs competent but merely a curiosity. They're better than most of Funimations dubs - I've actually watched them all the way through and barely been bugged by them - but Eva's Japanese cast is godlike. I'm impressed by Spike Spencer but Megumi Ogata is on a completely different level. Allison Keith as Misato probably comes closest to an effective translation of the character into another language, I think. I'm interested to see how she does Misato in this movie.
Qui veut faire l'ange fait la bête.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”