Official Rebuild Dub Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

So is anyone looking forward to the 2.0 dub?

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Thu May 30, 2013 10:31 am

Like with 2.0 I'm interested in what the english dub staff do with certain scenes and lines.

I'm particularly looking forward to Tiff and Trina playing off each other as Asuka and Mari.

BTW does anyone know if any of the dub actors/staff have seen 3.0 yet?

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:49 pm

You know I thought this would be the first time I really didn't give a damn about the Dub at all, but just yesterday I was thinking about how Tiffany Grant would handle the new Asuka and then I started looking forward to it.

I wish they would make an option on the DVD for "3.TG" and have all the original Japanese in there except with Asuka as Grant. lol

Don't misunderstand, I love Yuko Miyamura, but Grants' version is the Asuka I originally fell in love with.

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Thu May 30, 2013 1:08 pm

As I originally fell in love with Eva through the dubs of the series and EoE when they first came out many long years ago, I was suprised by how much I disliked the dub of 1.11 when I finally got ahold of the NA release. In between then and 1.11 I became a sub purist without even realizing it. :huh:

Nonetheless, I will still buy the NA of 3.33 as soon as it comes out, and will watch with the dub at least once to hear what they make of of some of the script, and you gotta admit the commentary tracks are ALWAYS interesting from that crew.
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:13 pm

View Original PostJurrasic wrote:As I originally fell in love with Eva through the dubs of the series and EoE when they first came out many long years ago, I was suprised by how much I disliked the dub of 1.11 when I finally got ahold of the NA release. In between then and 1.11 I became a sub purist without even realizing it. :huh:

Nonetheless, I will still buy the NA of 3.33 as soon as it comes out, and will watch with the dub at least once to hear what they make of of some of the script, and you gotta admit the commentary tracks are ALWAYS interesting from that crew.

I think you can blame Funimation for some of that. Besides having bad voice directors, who think they are directing for Loony Tunes cartoons, they also usually only hire people in the Denton County area.

With Eva they got a lot of the original cast, so I think the blame falls mostly on the Directors.

But yeah, I'm also a sub snob now too so I might just be jaded.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu May 30, 2013 1:34 pm

Can't say as though I'm particularly looking forward to any of the actors for 3.0's NERV staff (being only Gendo and Fuyutsuki at this point) trying to sound older than they really are. John Swasey's voice as Gendo sounds less gruff and gritty than Fumihiko Tachiki's, so it might not translate well into a character who's supposed to be 14 years older than before.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu May 30, 2013 2:41 pm

I have no real view on one set of voice actors over another; and dub or sub, both are translations with all the problems they bring. But I will be pleased to be able to watch the visuals properly without having to tear my eyes away all the time to read the subs - who knows what subtleties I miss doing that (well, reading this forum points out some of them, of course)?

So, it's dubs all the way for me, if available.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu May 30, 2013 2:42 pm

I never understood the love of Tiffany Grant, she sounds awful....
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Thu May 30, 2013 2:53 pm

I think its 1) she really gives her all 2) she's a big fan of the show/Asuka herself, you're always going to get the fans on your side if you cosplay as the character and have loads of their merchandise at home. I'm not saying this is some calculated ploy or anything, just that sort of thing is always going to make you a fan favourite. Just like Spike with his 'wacky crazy guy' thing.

OT: I hope they give J Michael Tatum something to do in 3.0 - he did a good job of Kaji and if youve seen that 2.22 panel from Anime Boston you'll know he's a big Eva fan and really into the show. Maybe they'll give him one of the Will-E staff to do.

I'm also interested how Alison Keith-Shipp is going to do Evil Space Captain Misato.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu May 30, 2013 6:12 pm

It will certainly be interesting to see, in a way, someone else's interpretation of it/another alternate translation.

But this will be a *tough* job, not only because Ogata absolutely outperformed herself,leaving some positively humongous shoes to fill, but because some characters, because of their rather controversal actions, (esp. Shinji and Misato) need to be *ABSOLUTELY NAILED*.
Make Misato too icy and she'll come off as ireedeemable; Make her too soft, and no one will understand why Shinji stormed off the Wunder - not to speak of Shinji himself....
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu May 30, 2013 6:15 pm

Nope.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Thu May 30, 2013 7:08 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Nope.

Heh...

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Thu May 30, 2013 7:47 pm

I am. I prefer my [s:2fkjc29g]Misato[/s:2fkjc29g] Eva dubbed.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu May 30, 2013 8:02 pm

Could not care less.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu May 30, 2013 8:25 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Nope.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu May 30, 2013 8:59 pm

I'll be happy when I can follow the story and focus on reading and understanding the visual language of the film without the distraction of reading the script.

Tiffany Grant is going to butcher Asuka, though, I'm sure.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Thu May 30, 2013 9:27 pm

I don't really care.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Jadley
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jadley » Thu May 30, 2013 9:57 pm

Yes i am excited VERY EXCITED, i could not be more excited for the magnificent work of art the dub is going to be, i am even more excited than when they announced the movie itself! omg
i can't wait...................
It's too late to pry away.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Thu May 30, 2013 10:17 pm

Wow, folks here on EvaGeeks are sure some hardcore purists. Must suck to be a dubbie then.

:devil:

JB2448
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JB2448 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:22 pm

As I prefer to hear media in my first language, yes. I'm interested in hearing how Jerry Jewell handles Kaworu for this film.
Do a barrel roll!

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Thu May 30, 2013 11:43 pm

I like the dub of eva better than the Japanese voices, so hell yeah Im waiting for the dub! Of course that didn't stop me from importing it lol

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”