"Curse of Eva"

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Tue May 28, 2013 8:12 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Nope, the Wunder still has the rest of its crew :
when Asuka intervene to save them from Mark.09, Aoba said that he received a report from the observation station that Asuka had engaged Mark.09, and after 4I has been stopped, we ear a message from Hyuga telling to "all ships to remain in secondary state of alert", and just after that Tama say that the "emergency repairs to the central hull are completed."

That clearly means that there is more staff aside of the bridge crew. As for Sakura, we don't see her because she don't have her place here : she's a medical officer, unless called by a superior she has no place in the control room. She must be in the infirmary treating the crew members wounded by Mark.09 attack.

tending the wounded ... LOL! this is evangelion, she was problably desintegrated into dust in the first blast
ANATA BAKA !?

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue May 28, 2013 8:41 am

Getting back on topic, could Misato, Ritsuko, Aoba, Hyuuga and the rest of the Wille bridge bunnies be afflicted with the "curse of Eva" due to the LCL/LCL gas that's being pumped through the bridge room?
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 28, 2013 9:59 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Getting back on topic, could Misato, Ritsuko, Aoba, Hyuuga and the rest of the Wille bridge bunnies be afflicted with the "curse of Eva" due to the LCL/LCL gas that's being pumped through the bridge room?

(A) It's not "LCL gas"; this was just people hearing "LCL gas" in the Japanese and not paying attention to the fact that the full sentence translated to "LCL being saturated with gas."

(B) Why on Earth should mere LCL exposure cause the "curse of Eva", when 2.22 associated high plug depth with the loss of one's humanity? Do folks think that those incidents in 2.22 shouldn't have any payoff or consequences, or something?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue May 28, 2013 10:11 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:(B) Why on Earth should mere LCL exposure cause the "curse of Eva", when 2.22 associated high plug depth with the loss of one's humanity? Do folks think that those incidents in 2.22 shouldn't have any payoff or consequences, or something?

So by that logic, that would mean that ReiQ is the pilot who is the least susceptible to be cursed?
Pretty ironic isn't it? :D
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

no LCL gas?

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Wed May 29, 2013 6:53 am

(A) It's not "LCL gas"; this was just people hearing "LCL gas" in the Japanese and not paying attention to the fact that the full sentence translated to "LCL being saturated with gas."

Well that sucks. :huh:

There goes the only logical explanation of how Mari can drink and eat snacks in her entry plug.
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Re: no LCL gas?

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Wed May 29, 2013 7:14 am

View Original PostJurrasic wrote:Well that sucks. :huh:

There goes the only logical explanation of how Mari can drink and eat snacks in her entry plug.

The other logical explanation of how Mari can drink and eat snacks in her entry plug, is that they are all closed containers with straws. It is not that hard to imagine that the straws have a few valves built in to prevent the contents to spill out into the entry plug at large.

(Because Mari's mouth and throat are all filled with LCL, though, this does imply that everything will taste of LCL, but she might even prefer it that way.)

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Wed May 29, 2013 7:22 am

(Because Mari's mouth and throat are all filled with LCL, though, this does imply that everything will taste of LCL, but she might even prefer it that way.)

Because this horrifies me, I therefore reject and deny your possibility. :shinchair:
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Re: no LCL gas?

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed May 29, 2013 7:27 am

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:The other logical explanation of how Mari can drink and eat snacks in her entry plug, is that they are all closed containers with straws. It is not that hard to imagine that the straws have a few valves built in to prevent the contents to spill out into the entry plug at large.

The holographic interface she was using when the 12th Angel was turning into a giant core was a selection of tea flavours. So a possibility is that somehow the entry plug make her brain believe(probably via her neural connectors) that whatever she's drinking in those bottle have the taste she selected.
With that, she have all the tastes in the world in one bottle! :D
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:29 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:(A) It's not "LCL gas"; this was just people hearing "LCL gas" in the Japanese and not paying attention to the fact that the full sentence translated to "LCL being saturated with gas."

(B) Why on Earth should mere LCL exposure cause the "curse of Eva", when 2.22 associated high plug depth with the loss of one's humanity? Do folks think that those incidents in 2.22 shouldn't have any payoff or consequences, or something?

Ah, OK. I wonder what losing one's humanity would entail, though. We don't see Shinji exhibiting any superhuman abilities; Asuka's the only one with any special traits (that weird glowy eye). Mari also seems fairly normal physically. Additionally they're probably not immortal- Misato was pretty sure that the DSS Choker would kill Shinji, for example.

Not sure whether ReiQ has been cursed; her plug might have gone to a dangerous depth when Eva Mark.09 awakened, but we don't get any indication of it so that's probably not the case.

And I'm nothing like you

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed May 29, 2013 7:46 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Ah, OK. I wonder what losing one's humanity would entail, though. We don't see Shinji exhibiting any superhuman abilities; Asuka's the only one with any special traits (that weird glowy eye). Mari also seems fairly normal physically. Additionally they're probably not immortal- Misato was pretty sure that the DSS Choker would kill Shinji, for example.

Not sure whether ReiQ has been cursed; her plug might have gone to a dangerous depth when Eva Mark.09 awakened, but we don't get any indication of it so that's probably not the case.

Shinji too had weird glowy eyes in 2.0 when he reactivated EV-01 against Zeruel.
As for the superhuman abilities, you can also count the fact that Asuka cracked a glass wall with one punch(although we're not sure it was security glass or not), and Shinji ripped apart the big security ring of his pilot seat in 2.0 when he "dived" into Zeruel's core to try to save Rei...

Besides both Shinji's DSS Choker and Asuka's eyepatch had angel sealing runes on them, they must be here for a reason...

ReiQ managed to eject without problems from Mark.09 when Asuka "stunned" it by decapitation, so her plug depth must have been in the safe level, besides her eyes didn't glowed which seems to be a sign that the pilot entered the dangerous depths. Which would be pretty ironic, as she's the least "human" of the pilot, both mentally(almost emotionless) and physically(she's a clone), yet is probably the only one who can age normally! Although she still need to do these regular LCL "baths"(probably to avoid to fall into pieces)

As for Mari, we didn't saw her very much AND only in her entry plug and she didn't do anything out of the ordinary for a pilot, so we don't know if she have some physical oddities too, but at least she suffer from the same curse than Asuka and maybe Shinji.

Now, we don't know if that curse completely stopped their aging or only slowed it down a lot, maybe they're immortal from aging but obviously not from injuries. Interestingly, Kaworu too seems to don't age, thought we don't know if it's because he's cursed too or because some passive Angel ability, which Asuka and Mari could have unconsciously activated.(and maybe Shinji)

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:36 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:
ReiQ managed to eject without problems from Mark.09 when Asuka "stunned" it by decapitation, so her plug depth must have been in the safe level, besides her eyes didn't glowed which seems to be a sign that the pilot entered the dangerous depths. Which would be pretty ironic, as she's the least "human" of the pilot, both mentally(almost emotionless) and physically(she's a clone), yet is probably the only one who can age normally! Although she still need to do these regular LCL "baths"(probably to avoid to fall into pieces)

As for Mari, we didn't saw her very much AND only in her entry plug and she didn't do anything out of the ordinary for a pilot, so we don't know if she have some physical oddities too, but at least she suffer from the same curse than Asuka and maybe Shinji.

If we're counting glowey eyes, Mari's eyes glowed green during Beast Mode. ReiQ isn't so much emotionless as unaware of her emotions, although I suppose it is pretty ironic that she doesn't suffer from the curse (although, if she's similar to Kaworu, she may just be naturally unaging).

It seems extra dangerous plug depth time doesn't affect one adversely, though, as Asuka activates Beast Mode without any fear. Possibly the "curse" only makes one non-human to a certain extent, and doesn't progress once one is already "cursed".
Last edited by Shinoyami65 on Wed May 29, 2013 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

And I'm nothing like you

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed May 29, 2013 8:55 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:If we're counting glowey eyes, Mari's eyes glowed green during Beat Mode. ReiQ isn't so much emotionless as unaware of her emotions, although I suppose it is pretty ironic that she doesn't suffer from the curse (although, if she's similar to Kaworu, she may just be naturally unaging).

Yeah, and Mari's glowing eyes accompanied her descent into "negative values" of depth, and now she's cursed too, do the maths.

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:It seems extra dangerous plug depth time doesn't affect one adversely, though, as Asuka activates Beast Mode without any fear. Possibly the "curse" only makes one non-human to a certain extent, and doesn't progress once one is already "cursed".

It's not so much that she activated BM without fear as she didn't have any other choice : Mark.09 was about to hijack the Wunder, which was the only thing able to reach the flying EVA-13 by this point. Take in account that Asuka didn't activated BM even when she was fighting EVA-13 which was hell-bent on pulling out the spears that would trigger 4I. It seems to something only activated when the "Godzilla threshold" is crossed : when there is absolutely no other choice left.

As for the Beast Mode, we don't know yet if it don't have some long or mid-term effects, maybe in Final Asuka will collapse during their trip in the red desert from the aftermath of BM(that thing must at least put the pilot's body under a lot of strain)... maybe that's what Mari talked about when she asked Shinji to "help the princess" : help her when the secondary effects of BM will kick in and make her unable to advance.

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Wed May 29, 2013 9:16 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:ReiQ managed to eject without problems from Mark.09 when Asuka "stunned" it by decapitation, so her plug depth must have been in the safe level,

Note that Rei 3.0 was locked out of control of Mark-09 when it went after Wunder. This would also assume that her synchronization rate was suppressed to a near-zero value, similar to how Shinji was locked out of Unit-01's control when the dummy plug took over.

Therefore, all the weird stuff that Mark-09 was involved in only had Rei 3.0 along as a passenger. No unacceptable plug depth or anything.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:42 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:
As for the Beast Mode, we don't know yet if it don't have some long or mid-term effects, maybe in Final Asuka will collapse during their trip in the red desert from the aftermath of BM(that thing must at least put the pilot's body under a lot of strain)... maybe that's what Mari talked about when she asked Shinji to "help the princess" : help her when the secondary effects of BM will kick in and make her unable to advance.

True, Mari seemed to briefly pass out after dropping Shinji off following her unsuccessful BM against Zeruel. She also got some cuts and minor wounds. Although that may have been because of the damage Eva-02 sustained during the actual battle.

And I'm nothing like you

Stikuru
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Stikuru » Wed May 29, 2013 10:54 am

Since it seems to be the common conclusion in the last few posts that ReiQ does not have the Curse of Eva like the other children and has the possibility of growing older, I have a question. Can Rei even age at all in NME, and if she can, how is ReiQ still around 14 years old (Judging by appearances)?

The only two things I can think of are:
♦That she was affected by the Curse of Eva due to however she was made (and was created the same time as the first Rei in NME)
OR
♦That she was "born"/made right before or after Near Third Impact and then aged 14 years when she met Shinji.

The second thought could be supported by some of the previews for 3.0 when they showed younger Reis, maybe they were later Ayanami clones created after Near Third Impact.
I don't think I like the idea of Rei growing old while Shinji is stuck at his current age though, totally ruins that fan-pairing. :/

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed May 29, 2013 11:27 am

View Original PostStikuru wrote:Since it seems to be the common conclusion in the last few posts that ReiQ does not have the Curse of Eva like the other children and has the possibility of growing older, I have a question. Can Rei even age at all in NME, and if she can, how is ReiQ still around 14 years old (Judging by appearances)?

The only two things I can think of are:
♦That she was affected by the Curse of Eva due to however she was made (and was created the same time as the first Rei in NME)
OR
♦That she was "born"/made right before or after Near Third Impact and then aged 14 years when she met Shinji.

The second thought could be supported by some of the previews for 3.0 when they showed younger Reis, maybe they were later Ayanami clones created after Near Third Impact.
I don't think I like the idea of Rei growing old while Shinji is stuck at his current age though, totally ruins that fan-pairing. :/

Sorry to break your dream, but your fan-pairing is already ruined : ReiQ is NOT Rei II, the Rei Shinji cares about(and maybe loves), it was made abundantly clear in the movie that these two Rei are completely different people.

As for why ReiQ is 14 years old, Asuka could tell at first glance that she's from an "early lot of Ayanami types", that could mean that she's from the same batch as Rei II but the Reiquarium where she was surely stocked blocked her age at 14, and have been activated recently, or maybe Gendo now mastered the cloning technology enough to make the clone rapidly age to the desired age, here he selected 14 years old so Shinji would think that she's "his" Rei.
Judging by her apparent complete lack of awareness about her emotions and all the dead Rei head we saw during the Shogi game from Hell, ReiQ is the last of a long series of awakened clones and must have been activated recently.

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Wed May 29, 2013 12:23 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:True, Mari seemed to briefly pass out after dropping Shinji off following her unsuccessful BM against Zeruel. She also got some cuts and minor wounds. Although that may have been because of the damage Eva-02 sustained during the actual battle.

Wait, isn't she seen later sitting on Eva-02's shoulder commenting on how things always work out for him.

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:24 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Sorry to break your dream, but your fan-pairing is already ruined : ReiQ is NOT Rei II, the Rei Shinji cares about(and maybe loves), it was made abundantly clear in the movie that these two Rei are completely different people.

As for why ReiQ is 14 years old, Asuka could tell at first glance that she's from an "early lot of Ayanami types", that could mean that she's from the same batch as Rei II but the Reiquarium where she was surely stocked blocked her age at 14, and have been activated recently, or maybe Gendo now mastered the cloning technology enough to make the clone rapidly age to the desired age, here he selected 14 years old so Shinji would think that she's "his" Rei.
Judging by her apparent complete lack of awareness about her emotions and all the dead Rei head we saw during the Shogi game from Hell, ReiQ is the last of a long series of awakened clones and must have been activated recently.

I don't think you can rule out Rei Q not being Rei II yet. I mean, it is clear it isn't her body, but her picking up the SDAT, I think is a sign that she is starting to recall her past self.

Same thing happened in the TV series, it is just more subdued this time as they make it clear that new Rei starts off with NO memories of Rei II but just like the TV series it is Shinji is the catalyst that makes her start to remember her other version. It's just taking a lot longer than last time.

Plus the scene of the three original children walking in the sand only works if we think of Rei Q as Rei. One way or another, Rei Q will become Rei 2 or at the very least there will be one Rei by the end of this. And I'm not talking about her soul being in the stupid SDAT.
Last edited by Lonecow12 on Wed May 29, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:26 pm

View Original PostCharsi wrote:Wait, isn't she seen later sitting on Eva-02's shoulder commenting on how things always work out for him.

I said she briefly passes out; she may have dropped off after Shinji wanders off, but then probably woke up later in time for Eva-01's awakening. Even if she didn't actually pass out, she seems rather tired and exhausted.

And I'm nothing like you

Stikuru
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Stikuru » Wed May 29, 2013 12:46 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Sorry to break your dream, but your fan-pairing is already ruined : ReiQ is NOT Rei II, the Rei Shinji cares about(and maybe loves), it was made abundantly clear in the movie that these two Rei are completely different people.

Ah, I think you misunderstood, the pairing I was referring to was ReiQ+Shinji as opposed to Rei II+Shinji. I prefer ReiQ more because she reminds me of NGE Rei, or Rei from 1.0.
The thing I would find dissapointing is that ReiQ could grow older, become >70 years old while Shinji is still 14. It would be extremely awkward to me personally.

Elmariachi wrote:As for why ReiQ is 14 years old, Asuka could tell at first glance that she's from an "early lot of Ayanami types", that could mean that she's from the same batch as Rei II but the Reiquarium where she was surely stocked blocked her age at 14, and have been activated recently, or maybe Gendo now mastered the cloning technology enough to make the clone rapidly age to the desired age, here he selected 14 years old so Shinji would think that she's "his" Rei.

If her age was blocked at 14, maybe the same technology was used or adapted for keeping the Seele members alive.
I also agree with your other points being possible theories, and hopefully 4.0 will give some more information on the process of Ayanami clones in NME vs NGE.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”