What anime are you watching right now? Jan 2013

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu May 23, 2013 10:09 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Mishima's plan was made very clear after the rescue operation started, but the SMS folks weren't privy to it, were they? For what I can tell, they expected to go against legit security with their clownish plan. And considering this, they applied for a prison concert permit during wartime, at a prison housing a dangerous spy/war criminal. That's not quite what Johnny Cash did.

ahh, that side of coin.

SPOILER: Show
I'm not seeing problem with the concert permit, given Ranka's popularity at the time and it's not like being set during war time or not had had much of a impact on holding concerts in Macross world in general. If anything the concert should've worked well to pacify the idol retarded Zentraedi who made up bulk of prisoners and of course the staff didn't have anything against her anyway. Only thing potentially counting against her would be her friendship with Sheryl.

Now as for rescue operation in general I think it's about as good as they could hope to get done under the circumstances. That is to say cause diversion, hack systems and infiltrate the prison which is entirely reasonable if risky plan. Direct assault was out of question and any infiltrator action was going to require diversion anyway to enable hacking unspotted as well as to ease Solid Saotome's sneak-in. So the issue seems to be whether or not the choice of diversion was sensible but really, what else could've counted as better and more eyecatching diversion than Ranka's concert on which most eyes from guards to prisoners would be glued? Fake attack would've just shot up the alertness levels of whole prison, in comparison.

Luca is the heir of and key designer within the military company that is responsible for most security systems and the like on the fleet so he's about as ideal guy for doing the hacking as any. He also had to do within the walls by all indications. So I don't see any logical problems with this part.

Alto infiltrating succesfully hinged on diversion working and Luca disabling the security but given that Sheryl wasn't held in any sort of specific, impossible-to-get-to detention cell I don't think his feat was that illogical either. If they had gathered the knowledge about Sheryl's location etc. beforehand which seems given Alto's part seems entirely feasible and doesn't require the guy to do Bond shit.

Finally there's of course the key part of plan aka Ranka's concert and really, considering how obvious choice for diversion it is I fail to see any severe problem with this aspect either. In fact by using Ranka they could incite the Zentraedi prisoners to REVOLT that could be considered the real, big diversion going on. It's hard to see how they could've achieved this through any other means.

So I don't agree with plan being clownish per se. It's general form was that of most feasible under difficult conditions present. They needed diversion, hacking the systems and infiltrator, all of which were provided pretty nicely by plan. Of course it should also be kept in mind is that it's not like SMS was a rogue factor at this point or considered untrustworthy by anyone except perhaps the very top brass around Mishima (who in turn had their reasons to be quiet about it). So even assuming the SMS connection to concert wasn't hidden there doesn't seem to be obvious problem.

Relatedly there's no real "alliance" link between SMS and Sheryl on general level. Officially and in eyes of pretty much every outsider Alto stuck with Sheryl because she was not considered trustworthy and her financial debt towards the company. Rest of SMS had no real deep personal ties to her and thus they wouldn't be too suspect in the first place. Hell, we don't even know if SMS guys were acting undercover as Lovely Bomber members. I kinda assumed they did when I first saw it, but in retrospect there doesn't seem to be reason to assume that (sans Alto) given there were no reasons to doubt SMSers. The aforementioned Macross FF manga also seems to contain a similar Ranka & Lovely Bomber charity concert so it might be possible the identities weren't hidden at all for that reason too. There was precedent for this sort of gig already. Of course this last part is kind of irrelevant detail either way.

The most suspicious person in the whole endeavour would be Ranka herself and I think whether or not the plan was clownish depends on whether or not SMSers thought Ranka would be looked at suspiciously. My answer would be there wasn't any strong reasons to do so, because it's wholly ludicruous idea on the face of it that Ranka would play such role in conspiracy.

So yeah, the plan is reckless to be sure but I don't really see any reason why SMS wouldn't have tried using it. If they had better, less risky options? Sure, but there doesn't seem to be any. It all comes down to reasonability of the cover/diversion used but that seems about as good as any other possibility if not better. At that point in storyline Ranka had serious weight to throw around and her doing charity gig wasn't per se suspicious. I'm not so sure what other, better excuse for coming to prison grounds they could've used. Ranka had such weight in that situation combined with extremely good reputation and history of holding such gigs before (though last is not depicted in films per se) so her wanting to do such concert wasn't all that unbeliavable.

Now of course the whole sequence runs on the rule of cool overall in terms of snappy execution and Lovely Bomber just happening to consist of named characters (who knew Mikhail could play guitar?) etc. but this sort of over the topness rules in the film and franchise in general anyway. Similarly of course real reason why the diversion was flamboyant concert instead of something more low-key is because this is Macross and all but again, it doesn't seem to come with cost of high tier story implausibility in this case. Meaning I don't see any logical holes in planning or character behaviour and under the circumstances SMS's plan is, while not ideal, workable. Jumping a shark is pretty heavy concept to use and I'd agree to it if the sequence made no sense at all or was obviously 100% implausible but I don't think either is true.

SMSers tool into consideration in their plan the surprisingly light guarding Sheryl has and puts their eggs in one big gambit basket.

Leon has kept Sheryl relatively unguarded hoping exactly this.

Cue end results.

I don't know if there's some really specific thing that strikes you as obviously retarded thing to do but to be honest I can't think of anything that fits the bill. In light of information provided to viewer it also seems like good course of action presuming they get past the initial clearance stage for concert, which did happen. The security being largerly mechanical left it vulnerable to hacking by person with relevant knowledge and position while the concert/revolt diversion did its job admirably well and would've been impossible to achieve without Ranka.

Interesting, though ultimately irrelevant for telling the story, question would be to what extent eg. Wilder considered Sheryl's protetion surprisingly low tier and if they considered this was part of trap of some kind and did they decide to go with it despite this possibility.
Last edited by Xard on Thu May 23, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Thu May 23, 2013 10:14 pm

I just finished Tasogare Otome x Amnesia, aka I Did Not Sign Up For This Much Emotion: The Anime

It's a ghost story romance, but it might as well be about a schizophrenic off her meds. Chock full of JUNG and lewdness, the story covers a fair amount of ground between the mystery aspects and the SoL hijinks of a hot trollish ghost girl, throwing in a surprising amount of convincingly tragic depth toward the end. Last episode really hit home hard. I didn't sign up for this at all. oh god

Yuuko is pretty much waifu of the year all years.

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Fri May 24, 2013 12:16 am

I'm watching Cowboy Bebop, I'm fairly certain I've watched it already, but the whole show kind of blurs together for me, so I rented the entire series from the library.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

Postby moonwolf2024 » Fri May 24, 2013 12:57 am

Finally finished the new JoJo's Bizarre Adventure :bigeyes:

Yes it was pretty badass, but they could've toned down the dramatics. It was just too much at some points. Dem muscle man thongs.... :nono:

Now I have to re-watch the Stardust Crusaders and bring everything full circle :coffee:
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri May 24, 2013 11:58 am

RahXephon: It had its moments.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri May 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Just started watching Death Note. I guess i'm one of those rare people who haven't seen this already..... :kaos_phew:

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Fri May 24, 2013 12:11 pm

You Are (Not) Alone. Have yet to see it myself. :shifty:
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Fri May 24, 2013 2:14 pm

It takes itself pretty seriously. I got halfway through it last year and dropped it.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

nervshatter
Banned

Postby nervshatter » Fri May 24, 2013 6:27 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:although, it's not like the correct answers could be anyone other than either Lynette or Minna

Elia was one of the best witches for sure.

On Topic:Kyoushoku Soukou Guyver: Ep. 6

Shit just got serious.

"

"

"

"

"

This was one of the few rare moments were I preferred the English dub to the Japanese dub, I loved the screaming in the English Dub as the Guyver painfully had the control metal ripped out of his forehead, when compared to the Japanese version which felt less tense.
*sigh* just kill me already.

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby delispin25 » Fri May 24, 2013 6:38 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:The Trigun dub is hilarious.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.
"At least I get laid." - TDSA
"I LITERALLY CANT STOP BEATING WOMEN" - CJD

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Fri May 24, 2013 9:29 pm

View Original Postdelispin25 wrote:I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.
Why would I be? I think early Johnny Yong Bosch is pretty fucking goofy.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby delispin25 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:35 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:Why would I be? I think early Johnny Yong Bosch is pretty fucking goofy.

Goofy in the good way, or goofy in the bad way? I love Johnny Yong Bosh as Vash, but the rest of the dub cast is meh.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Fri May 24, 2013 9:48 pm

It's a mixed bag but it fits for the most part. Pretty okay for a pre-2000s dub.

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby delispin25 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:55 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:Pretty okay for a pre-2000s dub.

True. Besides, I've heard some pretty awful English tracks (Macross II) that make this one look like a fucking Ghibli dub.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Fri May 24, 2013 10:18 pm

I checked to see what the Whisper of the Heart dub sounded like the other day. My my, what a bad decision.

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby delispin25 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:21 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:I checked to see what the Whisper of the Heart dub sounded like the other day. My my, what a bad decision.

For the most part, the Ghibli English dubs are pretty good. I've never heard the dub for Whisper of the Heart, but I'm very intrigued now.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Fri May 24, 2013 10:23 pm

It's an older one so it's to be expected. The only Ghibli film I watch dubbed is Mononoke.

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby delispin25 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:28 pm

The Mononoke dub was very good. I only found out a while ago that Neil Gaiman adapted some of the script.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Fri May 24, 2013 11:03 pm

ZZ Gundam: soooo does judau ever become a good pilot

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby delispin25 » Fri May 24, 2013 11:07 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:ZZ Gundam: soooo does judau ever become a good pilot

No, neither does the show.

Return to “Old Stickies”