Newtype USA March 2007 Eva article Transcript

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Newtype USA March 2007 Eva article Transcript

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:46 pm

So as long as my stepbrother gives me free monthly issues of Newtype USA, this is what I'll be doing. FufufuImage
Provided I don't get insanely busy with college...

This month's image (it's a two page article only, not one of those several paged ones): ZOMG Shinji-tachi in Seifuku! (Children 1-5 plus Kensuke walking to school together ^_^)

Newtype March 2007 wrote:
In their own words... New Inspiration and challenges for the staff of the all-new Eva films.

Rebuilding It Right

Asuka Langley Sohryu: Having earned a college degree before her 15th Birthday, (WTF, now she's 15 instead of 14 or 13?! O_o)
the brilliant Asuka certainly has the smarts to pilot the Evangelion Unit 02, but will she make an appearance in the first of the four new Eva films? Rumor is that the climax of the first film is Operation Yashima, but in the original series that story arc ran only through Episode 6, whereas Asuka didn't show up until Episode 8.

Kaworu Nagisa: As both the Fifth Child and the 17th Angel (Tabris), Kaworu was a self-contradictory persona from the outset, although we have it on good authority that the new film version of Kaworu will be considerably different from the original incarnation in the TV series. Perhaps understanding the changes in his character will be the key to deciphering the new movies.

As long as we don't get any of that Evil Manga Kaworu bullshit, I'll be happy!

Shinji Ikari: Shinji, pilot of the Evangelion Unit 01, is also the son of the cold-as-ice NERV commander Gendo Ikari. A life of constant frustration with his unresponsive father has left Shinji fearful of forming emotional attachments with others, but his new responsibilities and friends at school have begun to slowly bring him out of his shell. Heck, he even looks halfway happy on occasion.

Kensuke Aida: Shinji's pal Kensuke is a happy-go-lucky kid on the surface, but from time to time we see how nagging feelings of self-doubt hamper is emotional growth. He understands Shinji's inner struggle on a deeply empathic level. Some of the best moments in the original TV Series involved Kensuke goofing around at school, we hope the movies give him plenty of chances to shine.

Toji Suzuhara: Toji was pretty unfriendly to Shinji (for personal reasons) when the latter first transferred into his school in the original series, but over time the two became close friends. Depending on whether you go by the TV series or the manga version, Toji either became an amputee or died soon after learning he was the Fourth Child. What fate will he meet in the new films?

Getting his leg chopped off AND dying? I dunno, lol.

Rei Ayanami: From scenes of Rei's initial, bandaged, appearance before Shinji to her honest smile of relief and satisfaction at the close of Operation Yashima, the first installment of the new Eva films is guaranteed to provide plenty of Rei action for fans of the Evangelion Unit 00's enigmatic pilot.

And of course, next time, they'll be plenty of Image

The NeoGenesis of Evangelion:

With its tatami flooring, lacquered table and brand-new widescreen TV, this upscale Japanese-style sitting room inside Khara Studios looks more like something you'd find in a posh country inn than on an animation worksite, but this is where the grand ideas for the new Evangelion film productions take shape. Even the grueling 12-plus hour meetings are made a little better by the comfy cushions on the floor, which double as pillows for the truly exhausted. The chichi modern thinking space seems to be Khara's answer to the question of how to extract maximum productivity from brainstorming--put 'em in a room so awesome they'll never want to leave it!

Recapturing the look and feel:
Kazuya Tsurumaki, one of the directors for the new Evangelion films, has strong words for naysayers who dismiss the project as a mere remake. "Nothing could be further from the truth!", he says. "This isn't about putting the same old story with slightly better animation techniques or touched-up footage. When we use the word "rebuild", we mean an honest-to-goodness rebuild, from the ground up. It's a fact that there were things we wanted to do in the original TV series that just weren't feasible at the time, and one of our goals in doing this is to find a way to put some of the ideas back in. Operation Yashima is a perfect example. It's something we really wanted to do right this time, and getting the chance to do that was one of my main reasons for accepting the role of director. But rehashing past efforts isn't the whole story--not by a long shot. There are plenty of sides to this story which I want to bring out that are very different from what you saw in the TV version."

Tsurumaki goes on to explain that in the calculus of Eva-world, merely increasing the pixel count doesn't automatically translate into better production: "The Evangelion story is both simplistic and deep. The ideas are densely packed, like in a haiku. But that doesn't mean it needs to follow the Hollywood pattern of overproduction ad infinitum. We've all gotten used to that style of moviemaking, but if we're going to do Eva the way it should be done, then we need to return to the look and feel of the age. And I think we can do even more amazing things with that look and feel by incorporating modern-day animation technology."

While Tsurumaki freely admits that the first of the four film installments--slated to hit theaters in Japan sometime mid-2007--will run like a digest of the TV series, employing key scenes to bring viewers up to speed on the basic story and setting, no one is very willing to speculate on the content of the second, third, or final films.

"Frankly, it just got too chaotic," Tsurumaki comments on the brainstorming sessions that were initially meant to provide an overall plot outline and final resolution to the story. "We're all working from the assumption that we weren't able to reach our destination with the original TV series, but the exact nature of that "destination" is still unclear to everyone on the staff. Since we're going to all the trouble of making these new productions, we'd at least like to take the story as far as we took it back then, but it's been an uphill struggle so far. I get the feeling this project is going to be a very unstable project--in a lot of ways."
Unstable, maybe. But brilliant, almost certainly. We're come to expect nothing less from Evangelion.

fufufu. Their "real original" is there, somewhere. I'm assuming it's still going to end 3I style, a blend of EoTV and EoE would be nice, I think. But I expect it's going to like EoE, but not as much of a mind-fuck (if that's even possible, since it IS Eva and all!).

And as an omake (extra) of sorts, here's words said by Sadamoto and Anno-sensei for this month's Gunbuster 2, and Gunbuster articles, respectively.

Yoshiyuki Sadamoto Answers all! wrote: Q: How long have you been with GAINAX? A: Over 20 years now! Q: What was the biggest thing that happened to you while there? A: Getting my manga published! It's still going strong... Q: What's your favorite Anime quote? A: In Honneamise, where Lieutenant Colonel Marty says he believes he's capable of existing only because the people around him need him to. Q: What's the longest you ever stayed at the office without going home? A: Three days! Q: Fill in the blank: "GAINAX, ____ Forever!" A: GAINAX, an otaku's friend forever! (OK, I know it's corny...)

Is he referring to the Eva manga?? Either way, we aren't gonna get the conclusion of that before Rebuild, are we?

Hideaki Anno Answers all! wrote: Q: How long have you been with GAINAX? A: I'm into my third decade now. Q: What was the biggest thing that happened to you while there? A: The company managing to stay together after the production of Honneamise. Also, resisting the urge to resign from my job even after the Aoki Uru project [a sequel to Honneamise, conceived in 1993] was put on indefinite hold. Q: What's your favorite Anime quote? A: Umm... Q: What's the longest you ever stayed at the office without going home? A: I dunno...A few years? Q: Fill in the blank: "GAINAX, ____ Forever!" A: GAINAX, there's no such thing as forever!

Hmmm...Does that mean it's trrue that Anno and GAINAX are getting a divorce? But why?! Think of the children! Won't somebody, please, think of the children! Image(Their creations together and/or the fans.)

Anyway, this issue made my day not only because of the Eva article, but the full page ad for GoS2 ("Angelic Days") Volume 4, featuring that cover of Those Two (You know who, deshou?) hugging. Kusukusu.

(Don't mind all the ^_^ faces and my nihongo-style giggling, I'm just happy because I'm finally done with a Math Test I've been stressing over!)
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:18 pm

Wicked awesome article!

It's also nice to see someone actually translate Japanese into proper English than just use an Internet translator to switch it over. I could read and understand the sentences! Thank you!

I'm super excited for these new Eva films, as long as the crew does ANYTHING new then these films will be a great succes in my opinion. I especially like his Kazuya Tsurumaki's brute honesty about Rebuild 01 probably looking easily like a simple sexy updating of the TV series, but I expect some magic to come in the further two installments. (03+04 are both still playing back to back right?).

I do hope that Kaworu is made less annoying. I liked and understood is purpose in the original series but 13 minutes of Kaworu was enough. The idea of him having fully rounded character arcs is a bit unnerving.

Oh well, great that things are finally seeming to happen and be released to the public. A new teaser, Anno's letter, and now this all in a week. Hopefully soon someone real wicked will be dropped and people can start making educated guesses on what will happen and not just grasp for clues in the dark.

At the very least I can't wait til they release the first still image. To see if this Rebuild includes the visual aesthetic and design of the show and characters.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:31 pm

Are we going to have one of these each month? Hoo boy.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:41 pm

So the first movie is going to be like a digest of the series, eh? I'm not expecting too many changes at this point, I suppose, except for Kaworu and the new character. Come to think of it, Kaworu being there in the first movie would significantly change the battles at that point, wouldn't it? Look at Operation Yashima, for example. Shinji and Rei were the only two pilots at the time. If Kaworu were there...

Also, about Asuka being 15. If the characters are all of similar ages, this may mean that they were chosen because they were born in the year PRIOR to Second Impact as opposed to AFTER it...
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

jakewashere
Adam

Re: Newtype USA March 2007 Eva article Transcript

•      
  •      

Postby jakewashere » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:47 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:fufufu. Their “real original is there, somewhere.” I’m assuming it’s still going to end 3I style, a blend of EoTV and EoE would be nice, I think. But I expect it’s going to like EoE, but not as much of a mind-fuck (if that’s even possible, since it IS Eva and all!).

The two endings went in very different directions - the question now is whether GAINAX can strike a middle way between the extremes. I guess they'll make it more a psychological EoTV mindfuck than a traumatize-the-audience EoE mindfuck.

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:36 pm

Asuka Langley Sohryu: Having earned a college degree before her 15th Birthday

Still 14. Learn to read plz.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:12 pm

Szmitten wrote:
Asuka Langley Sohryu: Having earned a college degree before her 15th Birthday

Still 14. Learn to read plz.

Indeed.

Master Raven
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Master Raven » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:42 pm

Sounds exciting~!

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Newtype USA March 2007 Eva article Transcript

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:53 am

let me try to translate and speculate on these vague hints:

Newtype March 2007 wrote:Asuka Langley Sohryu: but will she make an appearance in the first of the four new Eva films? ... Asuka didn't show up until Episode 8.

Translation: Asuka will make a cameo in Movie 1.

Speculation: I suspect that it won't be in the classroom with Shinji yet. Maybe we'll see her testing with Unit-02 in Germany and/or her friendship with Kaji.

Newtype March 2007 wrote:Kaworu Nagisa:... the new film version of Kaworu will be considerably different from the original incarnation in the TV series. Perhaps understanding the changes in his character will be the key to deciphering the new movies.

Speculation: Given that one of the two main focuses of Movie 1 is the classroom interaction (NewtypeUSA Feb 07 issue), Kaworu will join Shinji's class.

Newtype March 2007 wrote:Shinji Ikari: Heck, he even looks halfway happy on occasion.

This echoes what producer Ohtsuki also said in that 2/07 Newtype, "They look so happy it's hard to believe it's Eva." (paraphrase)

Speculation: Shinji will not be depressed *all the time* in Movie 1. He will derive some pleasure from his interactions with the other Children.

Newtype March 2007 wrote:Kensuke Aida: Shinji's pal Kensuke is a happy-go-lucky kid on the surface, but from time to time we see how nagging feelings of self-doubt hamper is emotional growth. He understands Shinji's inner struggle on a deeply empathic level. Some of the best moments in the original TV Series involved Kensuke goofing around at school, we hope the movies give him plenty of chances to shine.

Translation: more Kensuke, more in depth.

Newtype March 2007 wrote:Toji Suzuhara: Depending on whether you go by the TV series or the manga version, Toji either became an amputee or died soon after learning he was the Fourth Child. What fate will he meet in the new films?

Translation: no answer yet.

Newtype March 2007 wrote:Rei Ayanami: From scenes of Rei's initial, bandaged, appearance before Shinji to her honest smile of relief and satisfaction at the close of Operation Yashima, the first installment of the new Eva films is guaranteed to provide plenty of Rei action for fans of the Evangelion Unit 00's enigmatic pilot.

Translation: tons of Rei.

Newtype March 2007 wrote:With its tatami flooring, lacquered table and brand-new widescreen TV, this upscale Japanese-style sitting room inside Khara Studios looks more like something you'd find in a posh country inn than on an animation worksite

Translation: Anno is living it up VIP.

Hideaki Anno Answers all! wrote: Q: What's your favorite Anime quote? A: Umm...

Thanks for nothing, big man!

OVERALL: Despite the lack of a single image from the production, we actually have a very clear picture of what Movie 1 will look like: It will trace the first 6 eps of the show. It will climax in a big-budget special effects Operation of Yashima. It will give more screen time to Kensuke, possibly Toji and Kaworu and feature lots of interaction with the classmates.

That will pretty much fill up 90 minutes.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:02 pm

I really really REALLY hope the 90 minute running time was just an uneducated guess on someones part.

I'd love to see this being closer to two hours and the same with the other 3 entries. 90 minutes with so much info to deal with will make the films breathless, but 2 hours offers a few moments of brevity and real character interaction.

Now I know EOE is only 90 minutes but that film just had to finish off what the series before it had established. So tehy didn't have to dwell on establishing characters or vital facts like the who,what,where, and so on. Instead they just had to focus on the fucking end of the world.
If these are really new films then they need extra time alloted to give the characters some depth and explain whats going on, plus give you all the Eva action.

I'm hoping for a 2 hour film.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:04 pm

I can smell an acronym for the new Kaworu in the wind. _WK. I look forward to filling in that blank spot.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:07 pm

And since Eva has become Weva does that mean Rei is now Wei?

Ritsuko is Witsuko?

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:49 pm

I officially proposition that Rebuild should be called "Wevangeliwon" in America, but "Wevangeliwon" should be pronounced "Evangelion" just to confuse people. I mean, we kept the "w" in "Kaworu", didn't we?

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:36 pm

NAveryW wrote:I officially proposition that Rebuild should be called "Wevangeliwon" in America, but "Wevangeliwon" should be pronounced "Evangelion" just to confuse people. I mean, we kept the "w" in "Kaworu", didn't we?

Seconded.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:01 pm

GendosPapa wrote:And since Eva has become Weva does that mean Rei is now Wei?

Ritsuko is Witsuko?

The blatant misuse of Pontius Pilate's rhotacism aside, establishing a characteristic speech dysfunction based around "Wevangeliwon" would entail inserting "w" in front of stand-alone occurrences of syllabic "e" and "o". For extra fun, have "i" be similarly afflicted. And even "a", just to really push it. (I don't think there's a "wu", though, unfortunately.)

"Wayanami... Rewi..."
"Wikari-kun!"
"Wore wa Wawida Kensuke desu!"
"Waa, machigawi nawi. Shito da.'
"Wadamu, warewa no hahataru sonzawi."
"Tadawima!" "Wokaweri nasawi!"

NAveryW wrote:I officially proposition that Rebuild should be called "Wevangeliwon" in America, but "Wevangeliwon" should be pronounced "Evangelion" just to confuse people.

lulz

I mean, we kept the "w" in "Kaworu", didn't we?

That's because Anno liked it that way.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:28 pm

Reichu wrote:That's because Anno liked it that way.

So, we have to do whatever Anno says? Hmmm...

Hideaki ''Dr. Weird'' Anno wrote:Gentlemen... pick up this stick, and slowly... carefully now... AGITATE THE HELL OUT OF THIS SNAKE!!!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:20 pm

As I commented when writing up the transcript, yeah, they fucked up with that. >_< Oi.

Asuka Langley Sohryu: Having earned a college degree before her 15th Birthday, (WTF, now she's 15 instead of 14 or 13?! O_o)

Eva Monkey wrote:Are we going to have one of these each month? Hoo boy.

I wrote:So as long as my stepbrother gives me free monthly issues of Newtype USA, this is what I'll be doing. Fufufu
Provided I don't get insanely busy with college...

Kaworu can be spelled as Kaworu OR Kaoru, as "wo" is usually pronounced as just "o". (In-before pronouncation debate).

"Wayanami... Rewi..."
"Wikari-kun!"
"Wore wa Wawida Kensuke desu!"
"Waa, machigawi nawi. Shito da.'
"Wadamu, warewa no hahataru sonzawi."
"Tadawima!" "Wokaweri nasawi!"

~Take care of yourself, I need you~

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:22 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Kaworu can be spelled as Kaworu OR Kaoru, as "wo" is usually pronounced as just "o". (In-before pronouncation debate).

That was my impression. Funny thing is, Shingo-kun (our current lab tutor) does pronounce the 'w', which I assume is a regional accent thing.

I forget where he's from exactly, but it's one of the prefectures surrounding Mt. Fuji.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:54 am

Also, if you do it correctly, you can pronounce Kaworu with a "w" and it will sound essentially the same as if you didn't.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Coded to the Core
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Coded to the Core » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:08 am

Wow , Wicked Article !
w00t (lol) , I just can wait to see whats gonna happen with all the charecters including (Rei And Asuka) in this "New" Set they're talking about , IT's a REbuild after all . Well look guys i can already be Almost sure about the ending ,, Nobody well Die ! (hahahahah) yes yes Nobody well die that much more to be expected as the whole point of this whole rebuild i believe is to make a new conclusion to suit those stupid fans that hadnt understood the depth of the original one , NOT THAT I AM COMPLAINING but now that you think about it ... Why the hell would anno re-create a series that ended 10 years ago , Maybe he ran out of ideas ? I can't imagine him creating a show thats better than NGE . So He's probably trying to put new idea's and a better ending to the show . Although i liked the first one , And thought it was the only way to end all of that Crap seele had made . :P

IT's only me , But really i am very excited and thanks for posting this .
I am a lilith .. YAY .. *those jerks* :/ ...

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”