3.0 Film Reaction Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition").
The third installment debuted in Japan on November 17, 2012.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

riffraff11235
Seed
Seed

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:51 am

View Original PostRei IV wrote:I'm still actually waiting for Xard's "official" review of the movie. Did he ever get around to doing so? His wall-of-texts are usually some his most well written, best made comments.

I think he's taking his time with this one. It's probably one of the most important reviews he'll ever post in this forum. :lol:
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon May 06, 2013 12:02 pm

I need to get around to crafting a proper review, myself. Since it's been four months now since I've watched the Camrip, I think that I've formulated an actual opinion on this movie. It will doubtless change as time goes on, but I think that my opinion of it is getting somewhat close to a final stage. My review will be up within the week, I hope.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon May 06, 2013 12:14 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I need to get around to crafting a proper review, myself. Since it's been four months now since I've watched the Camrip, I think that I've formulated an actual opinion on this movie. It will doubtless change as time goes on, but I think that my opinion of it is getting somewhat close to a final stage. My review will be up within the week, I hope.

Super mega lengthy pls? :kaos_bow:

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon May 06, 2013 1:37 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Super mega lengthy pls? :kaos_bow:

I'll try to please you, Shinka-sama!

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

Bizarre rant ahead

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Mon May 06, 2013 4:12 pm

Although I've never been a believer in the sequel theory or even the alternate universe theory, trying to see Rebuild like that gave me the impression that the first two, particularly You can (not) advance, was sort of a big, second chance to Shinji, where he would basically do everything that he could not do the first time around. With Q, I think that the overall story seems to betray that or at least show that everything, absolutely everything carries consequences, whether they are deserved or not. As the title says: You can (not) Redo. It makes me wonder if those audience members who were utterly convinced by this film series of being a new chance of sorts for Shinji are not pleased with the film because it goes against that.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon May 06, 2013 4:16 pm

Man, it's almost impossible to compose my thoughts on 3.33 into a review. The film doesn't adhere to a basic 3 or 7 Act Structure, so it's really difficult to do anything other than list scenes and say stuff like "I like this" or "I don't like that."
Live-Action Lofi Hip Hop Radio beats to relax/study to

Details about the making of the video here.

Lonecow12
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Mon May 06, 2013 4:53 pm

I hate when people say, "Anno really hates Shinji" and things to that effect because it is quite clear that he looked at where the story was after 2, and saw that Rei was in love with Shinji, and Asuka wanted to jump his bones, Misato wanted the best for him, and everyone thought he was a Super Hero in Eva, and thought, "Okay things are going too well for Shinji. That isn't good."

Bringing Kawarou in at this point to make Shinji happy would have just been strange. Anno had to take all that away, for the Shinji/Kawarou thing to work, and Shinji needed to be so so low that he can only go up from here.

Two more movies where Shinji would have been the cock of the walk would have gotten boring fast. The entire time me and my friend were watching 3.33 we kept saying, "Poor Shinji." And that is what Anno wanted the audience to feel.

Clearly, not everyone felt that way, but I felt sympathetic towards Shinji which I haven't felt in NME like I had in NGE.

TheFriskyIan
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon May 06, 2013 5:07 pm

View Original PostLonecow12 wrote:Clearly, not everyone felt that way, but I felt sympathetic towards Shinji which I haven't felt in NME like I had in NGE.

I think people were saying Anno hated Shinji due to Kaworu's death. Shinji just can't seem to catch a break after 2.0. He saved Rei, "YOU FUCKED UP Shinji!" he tries to fix everything, "STOP FUCKING UP Shinji!" Kaworu dies, "YOU FUCKED UP Shinji!" Clearly what's going on in his head as Asuka's dragging him to where ever is "All I ever do is fuck up."
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Warren Peace
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Mon May 06, 2013 5:28 pm

Why does it matter if Anno "hates" Shinji? Vince Gilligan shows pretty open contempt towards Walter White, but it doesn't make Breaking Bad any less compelling. Last time, Anno left Shinji on a beach, crying while being told that he's sickening. The kid being an anti-role model is nothing new.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon May 06, 2013 5:47 pm

Enough about the Guy with the mask.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue May 07, 2013 10:34 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I'll be interested to see how your reaction compares to mine.

Honestly, I don't have much in the way of reactions or plot theories other than what I wrote in this Q subforum back in November and earlier this year. IMO, 3.33 feels like EoE and a very probable post-EoE with Episode 24 thrown in. And I wonder how--or if--Shinji will be able to redeem himself then find the will and hope to live his life?

I liked 3.0's direction a lot, but I'm just going to wait and see how 4.0 ties everything together. I doubt I'll bother with speculating this time around since we saw where that got us with 3.0. :lol: I might even go spoiler-free when 4.0 hits Japanese theaters and wait for the 4.44 BD-rip.

3.33 gets a 9/10 on my MAL (some of the pacing felt strange to me, but it was probably intentional), I'm waiting until 4.0 is out to see if NME is a full 10/10 film series or not.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Xiel
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Xiel » Tue May 07, 2013 11:05 am

Easily the best Eva movie since EoE. It's not on par of EoE but it's a step forward from 1.11 and 2.22. 2.22 truly didn't feel like Evangelion, at least to me, except for a few battle scenes. While 3.33 atmospheric bleak, confusing and vertiginous take on Shinji's breakdown was fantastic.

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Tue May 07, 2013 1:38 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Honestly, I don't have much in the way of reactions or plot theories other than what I wrote in this Q subforum back in November and earlier this year. IMO, 3.33 feels like EoE and a very probable post-EoE with Episode 24 thrown in. And I wonder how--or if--Shinji will be able to redeem himself then find the will and hope to live his life?

You touch on something kind of interesting here. It does feel almost like 3.33 comes after EoE, even though 1.11 and 2.22 contained enough nods to spawn the sequel theory. Things like the moon grid and crosses and tanks and craters/shelling just didn't happen in 2.22, but do happen in EoE and are clearly visible in 3.33.

It's almost like EoE happened in between, the bit at the end - trudging across endless red sand - really feels post-EoE/apocalyptic.

airman4
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby airman4 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:16 pm

View Original PostXiel wrote:Easily the best Eva movie since EoE. It's not on par of EoE but it's a step forward from 1.11 and 2.22. 2.22 truly didn't feel like Evangelion, at least to me, except for a few battle scenes. While 3.33 atmospheric bleak, confusing and vertiginous take on Shinji's breakdown was fantastic.

Same here xiel
3.33 - 2.22 - 1.1

That 3.33 movie was interesting , intersting in the scenario (time skip , twist on the end with lances)
on the characterization (Misato changed a lot , Shinji tried to cancel his errors)
The animation was super cool , i really want to see the final since the time skip could be very interesting

Charsi
Well , at the end of EoE
SPOILER: Show
Everyone is turned into LCL , except Shinji and Asuka wich come back
But i get what you mean

Warren Peace
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue May 07, 2013 2:33 pm

As far as the landscape goes, the only things shared between EoE and Q is the red water, IIRC. It's interesting that EoE doesn't feature much ruined city imagery, usually a prerequisite in sci-fi apocalypse stories. There's also the moon, if that counts as landscape.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue May 07, 2013 5:09 pm

I just finished watching Q. I kept notes. This could be a long sequence of posts:.

I went into this with minimal spoilers: flying airship, Kaworu Dying, Shinji being blamed for 3I. Oh and obviously that many people didn't like the movie. Overall, I thought it was really good, fresh, interesting, but still very much Evangelion. I particularly liked Shinji's progression, well, partial progression. He might have gone in circles a bit.

Anyway, here are the notes. TIME: As I wrote (Added while writing this)
Q notes  SPOILER: Show

02:25 : Is Asuka singing here? (I guess it was Mari)
05:00 : (Having played Kerbal Space program, I really appreciated this sequence)
06:57: Was that really an Angel guarding the satellite? (There were more of these later, so I guess they are automated (driven by Dummy Rei's?))
07:20 : Another Shinji wakes up shot. (Chalk it down)
07:30 : What's on his feet? ( I BM-03, but who's BM-01, 02, 00?)
10:50 : The character designs are giving me serious cyberpunk vibes. Is this Ikari Shinji in the 25th century or what?
13:40 : So, is or was NTE Ritsuko sleeping with Gendo or not? (This is now confusing me)
16:00 : Shinji is volunteering for duty?!?! ( I think he actually says "I'll get in".)
This whole sequence seems in many ways to be a re-visiting of NGE episode 01,
right up to this point.
16:45 : This is an inversion of NGE for Shinji. He's now not needed at all, but doesn't want to be.
18:30 : Is this a regular anime now?
20:55 : Wasn't that Eva 01's EoE howl?
23:07 : I guess there are artificial Angels now? (How is Nerv building these things?)
23:30 : ATF weak sauce. Are there Rei's in these things?
24:40 : Is Wunder a repurposed Angel or alive? Is it breathing here?
25:00 : Just caught a quick 666 on Eva 01. Is this an EoE "firewall" reference?
25:30 : Shinji can't synch? (Are they having him on?) Is this actually Shinji at all? Or just BM03?
27:15 : Is Asuka a cyborg now?
27:35 : Is Shinji supposed to be staring at Asuka's crotch?
28:05 : It's real!!! (The SDAT) They (Shinji and Rei) really must have been in another dimension (Inside the cores/plugs in 2.0)
29:40 : Is Rei in his head? In the SDAT? (Never mind, I suppose it was the other Rei)
30:17 : This has got to be a reference to Misato's rescue of Shinji in NGE episode #01. (Audio-wise anyway)
31:15 : Shinji is actually thinking and deciding for himself?! This is amazing?!!
32:05 : Have they used bits of Zeruel to remake Eva 00? (Never mind. It's apparently a "Vessel of the Adams")
33:00 : This move seems awesome so far
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue May 07, 2013 5:23 pm

I've got six pages of these. Bring some popcorn

33:25 : Did they keep a set of uniforms for him? Better than his 28 days later outfit from the beginning. (This movie later begins to resemble a horror flick in more ways than one)
34:15 : is there anyone alive in here?
35:00 : I've seen this before right? (Kaworu playing piano)
35:23 : NO WAY!! (Gendo's glasses) Ikari Shinji in the 35th century!
35:47 : The Eva Gravyard (Where Eva 13 is). Did they make this one out of old pieces, or from Lilith?(Never mind)
36:00 : No Dial tone. This could be a reference to a million things
36:10 : ...In the 45th century!! Also, this tray appears to be a 2001 reference.
36:45 : What's with the tape shots? Is she on the tape?
37:13 : Who's running the place?
38:55 : Are there still Rei's in the tanks? (Never mind)
39:30 : Is this a random Rei clone or something?
39:40 : Heptagons!!! We've got heptagons here!
40:00 : Are Seele in instrumentality already? Were Seele even human to begin with?
40:05 : Age has not been kind (To Fuyutsuki)
40:35 : That was humorous for some reason. (Rei's I don't know)
42:30 : Kaworu's hands are still wandering about (in NTE). He is the Official Honorary Dirty Old Man of the franchise.
44:25 : Where does Kaworu sleep? In the belfry of the cage I'll bet, hanging upside down like a bat! (I stand by this)

ssguy
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ssguy » Tue May 07, 2013 5:26 pm

I see Q the same way as The Empire Strikes Back; it's a middle movie meant to set up the next one. I didn't think Q was all that great, but I'm really hyped for 4.0 now.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue May 07, 2013 5:32 pm

On we go

44:49 : Is Kaworu using an ATF here?(The colors in the piano sequence) Is this an allegory for the ATF?
46:25 : Shinji actually had astronomy posters in his room in 2.0.
47:30 : Fog?! I guess Kaworu came on too strong (Actually in retrospect, this is a forewarning of what's coming up)
47:33 : What's with this camera? (Actually, I think it's a light) Is it a HAL/2001 reference or something?
47:49 : That's harsh. (Toji's shirt; I guess he's dead)
49:00 : Is this going to be like one of those horror movies where everything seems more or less OK, but then goes horribly wrong. (Yes)
49:30 : The suit is from 2001 as well right?
49:50 : Did Kaworu always have purple shirt?
50:30 : Was that the Geofront? The white moon?
52:00 : Yeah. It was one of those horror movies.
So Eva 01 opened the door to Guf, but I suspect that the rest is Gendo's doing somehow. (There's no way Shinji caused all of this.)
53:00 I wonder should I post this (these notes) to the IRC? (Nope, they're for the forum)

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue May 07, 2013 5:35 pm

Q is awesome. Here's where it gets good. I mean, really good.

53:25 : Fyutsuki and Gendo still talk in his ruined office. Do they stay up there all day? (How can they breathe here if Shinji's has to wear a suit outside?)
53:40 : Is Gendo being sustained by the key(of neburcan... however you spell that) or something?
54:18 : Rei is seeing Rei's now. (Is this Rei Lilith, or the original?) (Who's the Rei in the tank)

I want to do something special for the next post.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion”