[MANGA] [NGE] New Manga Stage Thread

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:03 pm

Oh my god.
I cried.

This does not quite make me forgive EMK or Evil!Gendo, but I do have to revealuate my relationship with this manga, it was not all bad.

First the implication that he essentially have the world a chance because of HER and their connection. (Weirdly similar to 2.0, in a way; If Shinji was Haruhi, Rei would end up in Kyon's place in the episode where she nearly moved over to a fresh reality, you know. In either continuity, their connection was always one of the most central, process-starting things...)
and then THIS happens.
Just the frame as she fades away smiling...

In a way, I feel reminded of that scene in final fantasy VII where Cloud gets to see/ reach for Aerith's hand as she shows him the way in the lifestream, but can't quite grasp her, and in the end, he obviously lives and she doesn't.
But her last words and the whole ascending to a higher place thing also remind me of the ending of Serial Experiments Lain.
I think Lain gets compared to Rei way too much, I'd say she's way more similar similar to Shinji, personality wise, if he had been the one to be the artificial human, but the relationship between Lain and Alice does have interesting parallels to S/R.
and well, the ending of Lain, yeah.
"I'm still here, so I will always watch over you".
...Yeah. It... hit me as something similar.

Or last unicorn-y, for anothzer comparision, she's back to being the huge, celestial thingy she came from and can't be with him anymore, but they're both changed...

That said, I still stay with the point that Sadamoto often overdramatifies the characters, "I was all empty before I met you" is such a cheesy line. A marked difference in Rebuild is for example the emphasis that Q has recently given a hobby that she had before she met Shinji, because that's sort of the point, at least in the Anime/Rebuild, (this being the version that I personally find more interesting) he didn't sculpt himself a mirroring figure out ofmalleable clay, he found a kindred spirit in/devoted attention to what was already there. I don't think that was sadamoto's intention either, but that's sort of the fridge logic that comes with it.
But meh, with the rest of that scene, I'm willing to live with that line.

Also, what about Gakuen Datenroku? The focus was mostly on Kaworu, but Datenroku!Rei was stated to luv him and they both survive...
Too bad that was a bit cut short, really.
Ah, screw it all.

For all I care, that pretty much IS an R/S ending - just not exactly a happy one.
The story being tragic never precluded Juliet/Romeo or Jack/rose from official couple status, you know?

Maybe it's just... reading this so early after Q, and I would have dismissed it like many other recent manga developements otherwise, but... damnit.
Wanna tissue.

Either way, Manga!Shinji rejecting instrumentality was to be forseen, partially because Sadamoto didn't seem to have the guts to really let it deviate and derailm, but also... if
Manga!Shinji was a bit nobler here, explicitly going anlong with TI for the sake of sparing others pain, while Anime!Shinji was... no, using the words "worse" or "selfish" would be a hugeass injustice, it's more that he was, at this point, no longer capable of such higher thoughts, down to the most primal "It hurts, just make it stop" with everything else stripped away from him - So if he came back, so can his manga counterpart....
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

R334
Embryo

Postby R334 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:20 am

Stage.95:
SPOILER: Show
- MP Evas drop from the sky
- In space, Unit 01's light wings fade away and the Eva powers down
- Shinji is floating in an aquatic "mindscape" and sets foot on a shore (remember a couple volumes back, when Shinji was still absorbed by Unit 01 and found himself naked, on a shore, where Yui was breastfeeding an infant Shinji under a tree, right before she encourages him to go back? Same location)
- Yui is there...as well as Gendo
- Farewell dialogue starts

[URL=http://imgur.com/vFsaVkd]Image[/URL]
Next stage should have
Shinji returning to Earth and the souls ascending to the stars, Unit 01 going the Voyager way...
And then after that, I guess it's the epilogue.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Clover » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:34 am

Gendo won?

Rainmaker
Embryo

Postby Rainmaker » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:59 am

Looking like a NGE64 ending.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:00 pm

Sooooo... happy ending for everyone? Even Gendo?

That was unexpected.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:35 pm

Holy shit, Sadamoto.

How do you fuck up the pacing to an ending this badly?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:03 pm

Years of practice.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed May 01, 2013 4:49 am

Raws are on /a/ and that other board

Might TL later

but here's some gendo

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed May 01, 2013 5:37 am

Ok, now i'ts definitely going to be (almost) the same beach scene we got in EoE.

Edit: There is about 3mins left from EoE.

Edit 2: fun fact: 2-3 previous chapters contained about 5min material. Dat pacing.

vito
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby vito » Thu May 09, 2013 10:47 am

[URL=http://imgbox.com/advebLTJ]Image[/URL]

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:12 pm

View Original Postchee wrote:Holy shit, Sadamoto.
How do you fuck up the pacing to an ending this badly?

I don't get it? What's wrong with it!?
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:44 pm

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:I don't get it? What's wrong with it!?

nothing
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri May 10, 2013 1:01 am

I hope the pacing is logarithmic, so the process of choking Asuka will be longer than the Mahabharata and the Epic of Gilgamesh combined.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Fri May 10, 2013 5:25 am

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:I don't get it? What's wrong with it!?

I think he was talking about the fact that untel recently the pacing was very quick, and that since the beginning of the ritual(when the harpy squad captured EVA-01) we're advancing at no more that 3-4 minutes of EoE scenes per chapter.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Xiel
Lilith

Postby Xiel » Fri May 10, 2013 2:02 pm

I like Gendo's conclusion. He was more sympathetic in the manga.

I don't think Asuka will return, unless she does this with everyone else. Among all characters, she was the single one who was taken without any resistance: she happily and peacefully embraced the man she loves. In the anime version, she was fighting for her life when she died, so her return is realistic consequence of her traumatic drive to survive. Misato might because she's one of Sadamoto's favorite characters (look at the conclusion he gave to another favorite: Gendo).

colddice
Embryo

Postby colddice » Sun May 12, 2013 12:23 pm

View Original PostXiel wrote:I like Gendo's conclusion. He was more sympathetic in the manga.

I don't think Asuka will return, unless she does this with everyone else. Among all characters, she was the single one who was taken without any resistance: she happily and peacefully embraced the man she loves. In the anime version, she was fighting for her life when she died, so her return is realistic consequence of her traumatic drive to survive. Misato might because she's one of Sadamoto's favorite characters (look at the conclusion he gave to another favorite: Gendo).

She did chant her "I don't want to die" mantra but when Kaji showed up she tanged easily. I think it's either everyone or no one in the finale and the former seems more likely considering all of Shinji's reminiscing in instrumentality and Yui reminding him to protect everyone.
"The world is not beautiful; and that, in a way, lends it a sort of beauty."

Xiel
Lilith

Postby Xiel » Sun May 12, 2013 12:26 pm

View Original Postcolddice wrote:She did chant her "I don't want to die" mantra but when Kaji showed up she tanged easily.

Point, but she was the easily swept over next to Fuyutsuki. She didn't even get to freak out like the bridge bunnies did. :irked:

Although who can blame her, Kaji is truly dashing.

View Original Postcolddice wrote: I think it's either everyone or no one in the finale and the former seems more likely considering all of Shinji's reminiscing in instrumentality and Yui reminding him to protect everyone.

I believe so. Everyone who Shinji's recalling in those pictures is getting back, with the possible omission of Rei (unfortunate) due to her snow stunt (and his parents who left him for a honeymoon in the Solar System). I hope that we get a Toji-Shinji reunion in particular, after the shocking resolution of his arc.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Darkwing » Sun May 12, 2013 7:47 pm

View Original PostXiel wrote:

I believe so. Everyone who Shinji's recalling in those pictures is getting back, with the possible omission of Rei (unfortunate) due to her snow stunt (and his parents who left him for a honeymoon in the Solar System). I hope that we get a Toji-Shinji reunion in particular, after the shocking resolution of his arc.

That would be pretty good. Though I'll admit Rei always having to dissappear from the world makes me sad.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Xiel
Lilith

Postby Xiel » Mon May 13, 2013 8:06 am

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:That would be pretty good. Though I'll admit Rei always having to dissappear from the world makes me sad.

It really, really sucks. But I had the horrible feeling that was a possibility since I went back to re-read and I noticed Quantum Rei doesn't exist in the manga version. :|

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Sat May 18, 2013 6:58 am

Is there a translated version of chapter 95 already? Its been two weeks since the chapter was released and I still found nothing.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”