Asuka's Left Eye in 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:16 pm

View Original Postpalerider1911 wrote:I'm almost certain it's just some progressive blade lance.

Not relevant to the topic, but it's called a "heat lance" according to the script.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:21 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Ha! More than ever I'm slowly becoming convinced Asuka will be the final Angel that Shinji has to battle. Well, not really, but imagine if such a concept does appear in Final.

:lol:

Shinji will refuse, followed by some angst. Duh.

DemonSpade
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby DemonSpade » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:34 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:That, or I wouldn't be surprised if Gendo makes it a priority to kill Asuka, what with the death of the final angel will release some sort of evil.

Shinji's with WILLE now, so Gendo can't force him to. Phew.

Also, when the first batch of fake spoilers hit and it said that Shinji and Kaworu fight Angel Asuka in 3.0, that hit me really hard. Don't know why, it's just so..."dark" to ahve friends kill each other, and I like Asuka.

So, if that happens in Final, it'd be pretty shaken on the one hand, but then again, on the other, that's what Evangelion does. And I'd not be surprised to see Anno go all bonkers on us again and make Final even more grim than the original.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:15 am

Shinji already touched rock bottom, he's probably thinking Kaworu died because of him and his recklessness(which is kinda true) and that it's like he was the one who pulled the metaphorical trigger. And that's not counting the billions of people who died as a consequences of his actions in 2.0!

If he had to have again blood on his hands and directly do the deed, the only thing that would do is make him take the leap from "depressed accidental mass killer" to straight up "omnicidal maniac", and unless Anno want to take a route similar to EoE, that would be pointless.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:02 am

Topic?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:25 am

The glowing eye doesn't seem to activate every time Asuka gets pissed (otherwise it would appear a lot in the film); and it only activates for a split second outside of Beast Mode. Could this suggest that it requires a large amount of aggression or energy to activate the eye's glowy mode?
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

prophetic
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby prophetic » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:04 am

View Original PostelemileTLDR wrote:No, I really think ElMariachi has a point. It is no stylization what we see there: those are definitely animalistic/angelic teeth, similar to EVA's, that not even a Beast Mode Mari displayed. Be it in bilateral or mosaic fashion (as it happens, say, with gynandromorphs), Asuka really seems to have turned into something beyond human, somewhat strange and new; maybe a hybrid, maybe a new species, who knows? the possibilities for such turn out of events are wide and fascinating.

SPOILER: Show

I just wanted to chime in on the teeth issue and whether I believe it's related to the eye. I'm a dentist, so who knows if what I say relates to what the artists are actually trying to convey... At any rate, they seem to have correctly drawn the smile line for Asuka (with some stylistic exaggeration). Because of this, whatever is going on with her eye is unrelated to her mouth.

Here is a reference: [url]https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQj-ZJoAqI2JmOlSnaM-g6pse6enoYJDc-J-TlA0Cl1zg2YNPkc[/url]

What you see is that the upper central and lateral incisors are relatively flat, while the canine is especially sharp. The first and second premolars have reasonably sharp buccal cusp tips, as well. Of course, as we are fairly symmetrical creatures this tooth morphology occurs bilaterally. The only issue I really take with the animators is that Asuka is given more of a vampire (lengthy) canine than a normal one.

The lower incisors should also be relatively flat, with a sharp canine present. As far as that picture of Mari, there isn't much shown of the upper teeth, but the lower incisors have an incorrect morphology. The problem with Mari's teeth is that there is too much separation between the incisors. See: [url]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYq9DmqaG8pJ_ZDARypEsakEQQbshCWgSjEX_Orlzmu2fzYMY04Q[/url]

I wanted to insert images rather than links, but maybe this is a limitation for new members? ...or I just pulled images from a Google search, and that's why the urls are funny looking and didn't work. Anyway, hope this helps.
Registering for this board is a pain.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:33 pm

I dont know if this has already been addresed but are we sure that Asuka's eyepatch came from the Bardiel incident?Why is Shinji so surprised about her eye since he remembers that he harmed Asuka when she was in the Unit 3.I mean couldn't he suspect that it came from that incident?Also when he asks her about it she replies ''that is none of your business'' instead of ''your EVA unit went berserk and almost killed me''.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:43 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:I dont know if this has already been addresed but are we sure that Asuka's eyepatch came from the Bardiel incident?Why is Shinji so surprised about her eye since he remembers that he harmed Asuka when she was in the Unit 3.I mean couldn't he suspect that it came from that incident?Also when he asks her about it she replies ''that is none of your business'' instead of ''your EVA unit went berserk and almost killed me''.

well, Shinji probably didn't realized how much damage EVA-01 had done to Asuka. When he sees Asuka she seems fine except the eyepatch so it sounds natural to ask about the eye.
Also sprach Zarathustra

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:25 am

I've looked closely at the light through the eyepatch now, and I will maintain my position that Asuka's eyes are both glowing the same green, but the eyepatch is only letting some light through (the blue eye is much less intense than the green). A totally opaque plastic eyepatch wouldn't do that perhaps, but a lighter and more comfortable one (for long-term wear) made of dark fabric could easily do so. The square/crosses pattern looks to me exactly the sort of pattern that is formed by light coming through fabric, and the change in colour is equally unsurprising when a bright light is shone through a dyed substance. The eyepatch doesn't have to be hiding evidence of an angelic aspect of her nature, but could as easily be covering something simple, like scarring, or the eye having damage to the cornea or lens that makes it useless for normal vision, but doesn't affect glowing-eye mode.

Last edited by pwhodges on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:22 am

I don't think that's it, particularly as the blue light is circular like a normal iris while Asuka's right iris is a perfectly anime-esque ellipitical shape which is much thinner and longer than the blue light. But let's not start arguing about the rubber physics of it, otherwise we'll never get anywhere.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:27 am

Hmmmm....Your theory would make sense, and i would probably agree. unless:
Her left eye was still glowing blue, (When she said that Shinji was just a brat) even when she wasn't using beast mode.
Plus, when she said that: "I'm sorry nigoki!" she closed her eye, but her other eye still remained open.

Eidt: it could be cyborg eye. :shrug:
Last edited by Giji Shinka on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:23 am

omg...some people never admit they are wrong .
tell me then how is the green light weak if it is still visible over all that red ?
ANATA BAKA !?

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:36 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I've looked closely at the light through the eyepatch now, and I will maintain my position that Asuka's eyes are both glowing the same green, but the eyepatch is only letting some light through (the blue eye is much light intense than the green).

That doesn't explain the shot of her outside her Eva with only the blue glow under the eyepatch and the other eye normal

Nor does it explain why the patched eye is vulnerable to attack

Or that they tried out so many effect for it

Before settling on the blue

There's definitely more to it than selective light transmitance.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:54 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:That doesn't explain the shot of her outside her Eva with only the blue glow under the eyepatch and the other eye normal

Ah, OK, I'd missed that one, which does rather prove me wrong I guess. Nor have I seen the "Rebuild" extra, which I guess the other pictures come from, as my BD is still in the post.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:38 pm

It appears to be the pupil that we see shining through the fabric. I suppose the iris didn't react in the same manner.

jackysee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jackysee » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:20 am

Got this capture from other forum.
Her eyes seems to be the logo?

Which appear on floor of Bethany base

And chocker structure

May be it's way to prevent pseudo-evolve?

I do think Asuka is part-Angel. She mentioned human as Lilin in at the end of movie also, just like Kaworu.

I wish that I could turn back time
You can (not) redo

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:46 am

Hmm. I can't see the pattern in the eye as being like the glyphs, myself. Nor can I see that it would make any sense.

[later edit] Actually, after more careful examination, I'm wondering now if this actually is a glyph after all.
Last edited by pwhodges on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:56 am

Maybe that's just the pattern of the tissue that give the glow this grid pattern?
Or maybe that's just a graphic artefact from the level of zoom : image quality from BD are really good, but maybe not THAT good?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:47 am

Preliminary test show you people are not crazy, there's Angel Sealing runes in there.

PNG screencap, straight from BD itself to avoid as much artifacting as possible.
Thrown into photoshop, 200% resize and minor contrast adjustment.
WE CSI NOW

The glow in that scene is actually very brief, and the glyphs change every one or two frames.

Glyphs thread with the CRC scan http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/14278/
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”