Translation of Evangelion: 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment is scheduled to debut in Japan at some date to be announced.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:52 pm

Would it be going to far to put in ", er," to indicate the hesitancy unambiguously?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Grub
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Grub » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:34 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Personally, I felt the emphasis on "that pilot" in the original version of this was misleading when I actually got to see/hear it, seeing the script alone made me expect something very different.
He sounded more... awkward, confused or uncertain than anything else, like he really doesn't know how to refer to her, not really as despective as an emphasis would imply...
I'd render it as "that other pilot" or something like that, based on your translation and his tone there, but, meh, just a suggestion, it#s you who understand the actual moonspeak, so...

Also, one question on my part, Sakuras last line in the departure... Once and for all, it it "I really want to be able to forgive you" or "I really do want you to forgive me" ? Because both imply very different things/meanings there which seem crucial to the interpretation and I want to make sure I'm using sound arguments.

I think Shinji's "that pilot" probably makes sense considering it's like, "you know, that pilot who I don't like because she's the fake Rei."
"The closer you resemble a samurai, the higher your chances for survival." -Carl Sagan (What the!?)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:21 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Also, one question on my part, Sakuras last line in the departure... Once and for all, it it "I really want to be able to forgive you" or "I really do want you to forgive me" ?

Neither.

00:31:27 {Sakura} It's okay if you go back, but...
00:31:29 {Sakura} Please, whatever you do, don't pilot an Eva!
00:31:31 {Sakura} We really could use a break...

In other words, "We've been through enough bad shit; spare us any more".

View Original PostGrub wrote:I think Shinji's "that pilot" probably makes sense considering it's like, "you know, that pilot who I don't like because she's the fake Rei."

Yep. She's "that thing that cannot be named".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:35 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Neither.

00:31:27 {Sakura} It's okay if you go back, but...
00:31:29 {Sakura} Please, whatever you do, don't pilot an Eva!
00:31:31 {Sakura} We really could use a break...

In other words, "We've been through enough bad shit; spare us any more".
No kidding that's really what she said?!
A NERV mecha is trying to kidnap "Impact Boy" and the only thing she thinks of saying is a snarking comment about Shinji's tendency to be a Walking Apocalypse?! Or there is really more to Sakura that we tough, or she spent to much time with Mari and Asuka! :lol:

And why did she says it's okay if Shinji comes back to NERV?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:42 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:No kidding that's really what she said?!
A NERV mecha is trying to kidnap "Impact Boy" and the only thing she thinks of saying is a snarking comment about Shinji's tendency to be a Walking Apocalypse?!

I don't think it's supposed to be snarky in tone (translation could be tweaked, maybe). She was sort of saying it under her breath, almost like a prayer / fingers-crossed kind of thing.

And why did she says it's okay if Shinji comes back to NERV?

I dunno. Maybe her overly permissive attitude toward Shinji leaving is why she's not seen for the rest of the film: she's been confined to the brig. :devil:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:07 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I don't think it's supposed to be snarky in tone (translation could be tweaked, maybe). She was sort of saying it under her breath, almost like a prayer / fingers-crossed kind of thing. kidnap

I prefer the Deadpan Snarker interpretation, it's far funnier! :lol:

View Original PostReichu wrote:I dunno. Maybe her overly permissive attitude toward Shinji leaving is why she's not seen for the rest of the film: she's been confined to the brig. :devil:
Not that she could have do much against an Evangelion, althought WIIL-E does have a track record of blaming people failing at task way over their head! :tongue:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:56 pm

This is kind of off-topic, but are the timings of the subs going to be changed for 3.33? Because 3.33 has the little Ghibli short before the actual film, causing an 11-minute gap between the current subs and the actual film, and there doesn't seem to be a video player in existence that lets you delay subs by 11 minutes.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:56 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:there doesn't seem to be a video player in existence that lets you delay subs by 11 minutes.
If you're working with a separate text subtitles file you can apply the delay by editing that file. Here's a little PowerShell script for applying an arbitrary delay to the .srt files as present in the translation github
[code:1]
param (
[Parameter(Mandatory = $true)] [string] $SrtPath,
[Parameter(Mandatory = $true)] [system.timespan] $Delay
)

$srt = Get-Content $SrtPath
$srt | % { if ( $_ -like "*-->*") {
$s1 = $delay + [system.timespan] $_.substring(0, 8)
$s2 = $delay + [system.timespan] $_.substring(17,8)
"$s1,000 --> $s2,000"
} else { $_ }} | Set-Content "$($SrtPath).delay.srt"[/code:1]

Except you have to change the full-width >that I'm using here to sidestep the forum HTML cleanser for a normal one before using it to match what's in the actual srt format.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|🕊|🐸|MAL

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:05 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Because 3.33 has the little Ghibli short before the actual film, causing an 11-minute gap between the current subs and the actual film, and there doesn't seem to be a video player in existence that lets you delay subs by 11 minutes.

Mplayer:

[code:1]mplayer eva_movie.mkv -sub mysubtitles.srt -subdelay 660[/code:1]

660 being the number of (positive) seconds to advance the subtitle stream, making it 11 minutes. You can even advance the subs by 10 hours if you want. For 11 minutes in the other direction, replace with "-660"

Additionally, you can just use srttool or something to globally modifiy timing for srt files.

Archaiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Archaiel » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:37 pm

*sigh*

I dunno how to do any of this. Hell I am barely able to torrent. Any chance that someone can post a link to an .ass file?
Avatar: Eva Unit 6.66 LCFL (My original design)

Participated in:
2011 - LDC & EvADC

Current Eva Projects:
-Tweaking Eva 6.66
-Weaving a Continuity

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:58 pm

Fansub information is being posted in this thread:

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13501/Camrip-BDRip-and-FanSub-Status-Thread/
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:59 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Mplayer:

Additionally, you can just use srttool or something to globally modifiy timing for srt files.

Thnx, I managed to use an online tool to shift the subs by the appropiate amount. By the way, if anyone's interested, the subs should be delayed by 608 seconds, 700 milliseconds in order to synch properly with the action in 3.33.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

thegoodson
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thegoodson » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:10 pm

I have a question about which line is more accurate. I've been doing my own edited combo of the UTW and github subs to get the best product possible.

When Misato answers the phone, the UTW says "Here comes the biggest threat" while the github says "So the champion is on the scene..."

I'm hoping that second one is more accurate, because that's just too badass

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:28 pm

My translation is pretty literal, since it's 「本命のお出ましか」. This is a formal way of announcing the arrival of honmei, which Eijiro gives the definition as a "favorite" or "likely winner", as in a contestant that people are likely to bet on or vote for. So my brain spit out the results you see. It seems UTW was a bit more liberal than I. It's not necessarily a bad thing, if the meaning is the same.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

thegoodson
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thegoodson » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:41 pm

Well I like it a lot and I'm keeping it :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the work btw

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:06 pm

Responding to some things from the Fansub Status thread.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:@Reichu: Couldn't the term "popular" work with kone megane? "Popular Glasses"?

Being "connected" isn't the same thing as being "popular". Someone can have good connections but it does not follow that they are popular. I wouldn't want to imply anything about Mari that might not be true. Plus, "popular" just makes it sound like Asuka is jealous that more people like Mari or something, not that she's ribbing Mari for leaping ahead based on who she knows.

Also, who the heck would CALL someone "Popular Glasses"?

View Original PostRei IV wrote:So I'm guessing Favored Four Eyes it out of the picture as well? Damn, I really did like that nickname for Mari.

"Favored Four Eyes" is the best offering I've seen, but I'm still not sure if it really works. It still sets off my "who the hell would say that?" alarms.

Just out of curiosity, Reichu, are you (partially) responsible for the github translation?

Yes. There are a couple of scenes I did mostly or completely myself, along with lots of odd lines here and there; and I did a LOT of clean-up to minimize awkward phrasings and so forth. I didn't catch all of the inaccuracies, since my Japanese skills have their limits, so double-checking with UTW's take is proving to be a boon.

I'll comment on your specific examples once I reach those points in my current revisitation of the script.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:25 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Also, who the heck would CALL someone "Popular Glasses"?

[...]

"Favored Four Eyes" is the best offering I've seen, but I'm still not sure if it really works. It still sets off my "who the hell would say that?" alarms.

Well, no English-speaking person would say that, sure. But the movie isn't about English-speaking people, is it. (Except Mari, who only speaks it occasionally.)

In other words, some things just don't translate well between languages from across the entire planet, and I understand that. But after a while, the original meaning of the words could get lost because we're trying to get what might be fluid-sounding Japanese dialogue to sound like fluid English dialogue. Seeing as how I'm watching a Japanese movie I want to know what the Japanese people are talking about, not about what sounds good to me.

Granted, the ultimate solution is that I learn Japanese and listen to the dialogue myself. But that's a lot of effort simply for watching a movie.

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:22 pm

I grabbed the latest translation from github and made a .ass file for the movie with the 10 min God thing preview:
http://ge.tt/9Mc6JOf/v/0
I'd add it to the github myself (I have an account) but I'm not sure what I have to do there...

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:43 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Being "connected" isn't the same thing as being "popular". Someone can have good connections but it does not follow that they are popular. I wouldn't want to imply anything about Mari that might not be true. Plus, "popular" just makes it sound like Asuka is jealous that more people like Mari or something, not that she's ribbing Mari for leaping ahead based on who she knows.

Also, who the heck would CALL someone "Popular Glasses"?

The logical compromise here, to me, is "suck-up". She's not necessarily jealous of her popularity. Mari had her foot in the door. She was a "favored" pilot. She has "connections". Ergo, she's a suck-up to the boss.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:30 pm

LOL! "Butt-Kissing Glasses Freak" might be the only way to go!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”