Misato and Asuka

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
pioneer
Embryo

[SPOILERS] Misato and Asuka

•      
  •      

Postby pioneer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:45 pm

Does Asuka have some resentment towards Misato? When Shinji is asking about Rei, she says, according to some fansub, "All this fuss over just one person. This world doesn't have time to cater to your ego. Isn't that right, Captain Katsuragi?" Do you think she is also referring to Misato's personal vendetta against the angels? Or perhaps some kind of reference to something involving Kaji?

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:51 pm

She's obviously addressing Shinji but the line "Isn't that right, Captain Katsuragi" could be interpreted, at least according to speculation, as Asuka rubbing in Misato's face by repeating something she may have said prior to Shinji's reappearance or to imply she's going "soft" now that he's back in the picture or something like that. It was accepted, though, that she's looking for Misato's approval.

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lennik » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:54 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:It was accepted, though, that she's looking for Misato's approval.

Which makes zero sense to me considering the way she glares at Misato as she says it.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:24 pm

Could be referring to something that went down between them which we won't learn about until Final. Maybe Asuka is repeating lines that Misato fed her at one point, and rubbing them in her face.

Perhaps, before Eva-01 was launched into orbit, Asuka was interested in recovering Eva-01 and Shinji from Nerv, but Misato wouldn't have it. They didn't have the resources to go after just one person when all of humanity was in trouble. So she told Asuka, "All this fuss over just one person. This world doesn't have time to cater to your whims!"
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:25 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:37 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Could be referring to something that went down between them which we won't learn about until Final. Maybe Asuka is repeating lines that Misato fed her at one point, and rubbing them in her face.

Perhaps, before Eva-01 was launched into orbit, Asuka was interested in recovering Eva-01 and Shinji from Nerv, but Misato wouldn't have it. They didn't have the resources to go after just one person when all of humanity was in trouble. So she told Asuka, "All this fuss over just one person. This world doesn't have time to cater to your whims!"

If we're going to with a scenario like this, perhaps Misato had a change of heart at one point and decided to retrieve Unit-01 as a necessity for the AAA Wunder, thus, commanding Asuka to retrieve it. Shinji making a reappearance then has an unexpected influence on her, forcing her re-evaluate her feelings for the kid. Granted, this is just me pulling ideas out of my ass. My sentiments are similar to Seele00TextOnly.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:44 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:She wasn't glaring at Misato; Asuka and Misato are very clearly on the same wavelength and very well bonded by the time of this film. Their banter is great, Asuka refers to them both being captains, frankly I also think Asuka's decision to care for Shinji by taking him with her back to civilization reflects how we'll see the overall Misato and Wille reaction to his surviving; trying better the second time to hold on to him and bring him into the fold.

^Hmmm, I think you may be on to something here Seele.

Showing that Shinji is getting sympathy from the person he least deserves it from is a perfect means of conveying that. All these people on the site saying that Shinji's gonna get a Death sentence from Wille kind of miss the intention of this gesture from Asuka of all people. It will probably serve as a reminder to the rest of the team that despite what the world has become, we still need to hold on to some shred of humanity, or they're no different than Gendo.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

pioneer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pioneer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:30 pm

Right after that scene, Mari teases Asuka for going to see Shinji, just to see his face?
Also, maybe Asuka is jealous that Shinji saved Rei from an angel but did not save her from Bardiel in the same way?
But, the fact that Asuka references Misato's title makes me think that she has some kind of beef with Misato.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:02 am

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:46 am

Speaking of ranking, wasn't there a debate about Misato's ranking, the way her rank is said by the other characters implying that Misato is still a Colonel, but called "Captain" as in "Ship Captain"?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:47 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Could be referring to something that went down between them which we won't learn about until Final. Maybe Asuka is repeating lines that Misato fed her at one point, and rubbing them in her face.

she was definetely rubbing off on Misato, she pauses and her glare is that of discontempt, you can see Misato unconfortable at Shinji retrieval on the bridge, it impaired her judgment
looks how she treats Shinji, i mean seriously ? they didnt know he was Shinji and put him in quarentine, WITH A DOCTOR INSIDE,what if Shinji was a tentacle rapist angel, poor suzuhara

Also, i dont think Asuka is not privileged, i mean, i doubt her cap and jacket came from germany with her, so they must have made it for her on HER COLOURS, and if its her, she kept most her stuff wich was quarentined.

I believe there was a animosity between Asuka and mari in the opening becouse the way mari says hime sounded kinda pissed.
ANATA BAKA !?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:22 am

View Original Postbladerj wrote:she was definetely rubbing off on Misato, she pauses and her glare is that of discontempt, you can see Misato unconfortable at Shinji retrieval on the bridge, it impaired her judgment
looks how she treats Shinji, i mean seriously ? they didnt know he was Shinji and put him in quarentine, WITH A DOCTOR INSIDE,what if Shinji was a tentacle rapist angel, poor suzuhara

He was in quarantine, with a doctor inside... and four soldiers pointing assault rifles at his face, I think that unless Shinji could pull a Kaworu and generate AT Fields or being as nigh unkillable as Lilith, Sakura was safe!
And I'm sure that someone somewhere will do a similar dojinshi with the tentacle rapist angel Shinji! :lol:

View Original Postbladerj wrote:Also, i dont think Asuka is not privileged, i mean, i doubt her cap and jacket came from germany with her, so they must have made it for her on HER COLOURS, and if its her, she kept most her stuff wich was quarentined.

Or maybe that's indeed some of her old stuff from before N3I, or maybe she found the jacket on a ruin and though it was nice and kept it, or maybe Lilin City has some industry and economy running and she just bought them.
As for the cap, seeing the cat ears my current theory is that it's a gift from Mari.

View Original Postbladerj wrote:I believe there was a animosity between Asuka and mari in the opening becouse the way mari says hime sounded kinda pissed.

I think they are clearly what we could call Vitriolic Best Buds.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Fri May 31, 2013 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:04 am

you are mistaken the quarentine is the interrogation scene there was only Misato and ritsukko in the room, granted he had the colar, but i doubt Misato would react in time due to shock to save suzuhara

there is no cat ears, its space for the head conector
ANATA BAKA !?

TB3
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TB3 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:47 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Speaking of ranking, wasn't there a debate about Misato's ranking, the way her rank is said by the other characters implying that Misato is still a Colonel, but called "Captain" as in "Ship Captain"?

Typically, in military naval terms, 'Captain' is a title bestowed upon the commanding officer, rather than a rank in of itself. A ship's captain is more likely to be a Commander or Lieutenant-commander (sometimes its easier to just drop the word 'captain' altogether and just use the term 'skipper').

Misato's case is a little more ambiguous. On-screen comm-panels refer to her as 'Captain' Katsuragi (which when I first saw the opening scene, before we knew anything about WILLE or Wunder, I took to mean she had been demoted as punishment for the ending events of 2.22) - she's obviously Wunder's captain, and presumably no longer a Colonel (since, ya know, she quit NERV) but she's probably got some suitably high rank to be able to command around that immense fleet of ships that was at her disposal - what I want to know is if she's WILLE's supreme commander, or is there someone that she reports to (best crackhead theory I heard was that Kensuke's the big boss at WILLE!)
Does the bus run through here!?

palerider1911
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby palerider1911 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:59 am

View Original PostTB3 wrote:Typically, in military naval terms, 'Captain' is a title bestowed upon the commanding officer, rather than a rank in of itself. A ship's captain is more likely to be a Commander or Lieutenant-commander (sometimes its easier to just drop the word 'captain' altogether and just use the term 'skipper').

Misato's case is a little more ambiguous. On-screen comm-panels refer to her as 'Captain' Katsuragi (which when I first saw the opening scene, before we knew anything about WILLE or Wunder, I took to mean she had been demoted as punishment for the ending events of 2.22) - she's obviously Wunder's captain, and presumably no longer a Colonel (since, ya know, she quit NERV) but she's probably got some suitably high rank to be able to command around that immense fleet of ships that was at her disposal - what I want to know is if she's WILLE's supreme commander, or is there someone that she reports to (best crackhead theory I heard was that Kensuke's the big boss at WILLE!)

[U.S. centric, but it's what I know first hand] A Marine/Army/Air Force Captain's pay grade is O-3, and a Colonel's pay grade is O-6. A Navy Captain's pay grade is O-6 as well. They even use the same rank insignia as a Marine/Army/Air Force O-6. We called it the "full bird", as in "full-bird Colonel", since an O-5 is a "Lieutenant Colonel", and the insignia for that is a silver oak leaf. [We also used "full-bird Captain" to easily differentiate between one of our Captains and one of the Navy's Captains.]

So....I think she's still a Colonel. She's just switched roles, so the name of her pay grade switched with it.

wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby wiser3754 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:16 am

View Original PostTB3 wrote:Typically, in military naval terms, 'Captain' is a title bestowed upon the commanding officer, rather than a rank in of itself. A ship's captain is more likely to be a Commander or Lieutenant-commander (sometimes its easier to just drop the word 'captain' altogether and just use the term 'skipper').

Me personally, right after Asuka punches the glass and laments "All this fuss over one person. In this world, we don't have the luxury of caring about such things. Right Colonel Katsuragi", is a throwback to Misato back at NERV (ranked Colonel) when she was Shinji's surrogate mother and reminding her she doesn't have the luxury of caring about one person anymore.

Asuka has had to deal and live with this, Captain Katsuragi has to as well.

Also, in respect to Asuka's punching Shinji's face, I get the feeling Asuka was expecting someone who has changed and not with a stupid lowly face (someone older). Mari's comments in the film also supports this (I believe).
I watch and speculate.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri May 31, 2013 4:36 am

View Original Postwiser3754 wrote:Me personally, right after Asuka punches the glass and laments "All this fuss over one person. In this world, we don't have the luxury of caring about such things. Right Colonel Katsuragi", is a throwback to Misato back at NERV (ranked Colonel) when she was Shinji's surrogate mother and reminding her she doesn't have the luxury of caring about one person anymore.

Asuka has had to deal and live with this, Captain Katsuragi has to as well.

That's still very dickish from Asuka, since she used the exact same lecture seconds before on Shinji when he wanted to know what happened to Rei! Did she really hurt Shinji's feelings(the guy who saved her life!) just to prove a point to Misato? That would be extremely childish!

View Original Postwiser3754 wrote:Also, in respect to Asuka's punching Shinji's face, I get the feeling Asuka was expecting someone who has changed and not with a stupid lowly face (someone older). Mari's comments in the film also supports this (I believe).

And what did she expected? Shinji made it abundantly clear that from his point of view, barely hours had passed between his rescuing of Rei and his awakening in the medical box inside the Wunder, Asuka is even the one who breaks to him the news that actually 14 have passed!
And what kind of face did she expected him to make? He wakes up in a crazy flying battleship where everyone is glaring murder at him, is being told that he will never do anything ever again although from his POV some hours before everyone was pushing him to act, and that he is being punished and that no one trust him for a reason they didn't bothered to tell him, oh yes and that they put a freakin' bomb collar on him and threatened to blow up his head if he gets into an EVA ever again! Of course he will make a WTF face!
Besides as strange as it looks, at first Asuka seemed to kept her composure at first, but lost it when Shinji expressed his joy and relief that she's alive and well : the shot where she put her hands out of her pockets and clench them into fists is at the precise moment Shinji said "I'm glad you're okay"... maybe the punch was her way to tell him that no, she's not okay, with that "curse of EVA" thing and having to fight for her survival for the past 14 years... still that was a pretty childish outburst.

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Fri May 31, 2013 3:20 pm

A lot of fan assumptions being accepted as fact in this thread here. I don't think we can say concretely anything regarding the look Asuka gives Misato and what it is in reference to. I didn't get that it was Shinji at all, as I said in the other thread. I think you are just projecting.

Probably has to do with Hikari, but again, there is as much evidence for that as for anything else.

Regardless, Misato made it pretty clear she was retrieving Unit 01, not Shinji. That mission had nothing to do with pulling Shinji out (as far as we know at this point). There is nothing in the film to even slightly suggest Misato has any feelings, cares, or concerns for Shinji. She probably does, but we can't say that for sure, and sure as hell can't say that from a random glare Asuka gives Misato.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Fri May 31, 2013 3:25 pm

View Original PostLonecow12 wrote:A lot of fan assumptions being accepted as fact in this thread here. I don't think we can say concretely anything regarding the look Asuka gives Misato and what it is in reference to. I didn't get that it was Shinji at all, as I said in the other thread. I think you are just projecting.

Probably has to do with Hikari, but again, there is as much evidence for that as for anything else.

Regardless, Misato made it pretty clear she was retrieving Unit 01, not Shinji. That mission had nothing to do with pulling Shinji out (as far as we know at this point). There is nothing in the film to even slightly suggest Misato has any feelings, cares, or concerns for Shinji. She probably does, but we can't say that for sure, and sure as hell can't say that from a random glare Asuka gives Misato.

Ummm.....No. There's pretty much strong disagreement with that but that's for another topic. Watch the movie again, is all I can say.

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:41 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Ummm.....No. There's pretty much strong disagreement with that but that's for another topic. Watch the movie again, is all I can say.

First, don't patronize me with an "Ummm... no." Let's act like adults here please.

Next, it is all just from people on here telling each other:
"This must meant this."
"Yes I agree"
"Okay from now on let's say she is talking about Shinji"

But it's all just subtile glances and angry looks. The only real hint that Misato gives a damn about Shinji is because she doesn't blow him up. That's it.

Believe what you want, I don't even disagree with you. But you can't say with 100% confidence what any character is thinking based on looks or vague words alone at this point.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”