4th Film Info (READ OP) + Speculation

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:13 am

It CAN'T be the "FrankenEva" : the left part/Eva-02 has an arm, and EVA-02 doesn't have a left arm!
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

andreh
Lilith

Postby andreh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:48 am

View Original Postqu4d wrote:We dont know, if that's the final design. Eva-02 wasn't even finished, when it was first shown at the end of 1.11.

yes, I know. but particularly I have nothing against the Frank, I just did not like what they did to his head, it's bizarre :cringe:

ElMariachi wrote:It CAN'T be the "FrankenEva" : the left part/Eva-02 has an arm, and EVA-02 doesn't have a left arm!

I think the design of the armor is only symbolic, does not correspond to organic compounds (i hope :bigeyes: )
I do not speak English natively. If you see any error, blame my teacher or Google Translate LOL

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:53 am

View Original Postbladerj wrote:THERE IS NOTHING TO GO BACK TO, anno delibery made the 14 years jump not to disorient us, but so he didn't had to deal with the shit he left to answer in 2.0

You say that, but Anno also deliberately made two movies that have details in them that lead to the next films. Skipping 14 years is no reason to pretend that 1.11 and 2.22 didn't happen. Remember all of those references to Shinji's childhood in 1.11? (Or even the flashbacks in the TV show?) That stuff happened roughly 10 years prior to the start of film one, and yet it's still important information to the viewer when understanding the character of Shinji.

Also, consider this: Anno skips 14 years because nothing really important happened in that time frame. "Nonsense," you say. "Misato &amp Co. split and became WILLE! Neo-NERV became so! How is this unimportant material?" But the inherent problem with considering this kind of stuff important material is that it's as irrelevant to Human Instrumentality as Asuka's whole character arc was in NGE. That's right, I said it. Asuka's a wonderfully written and intriguing character in NGE, but she's useless when it comes to understanding any of the mechanics of Third Impact, like Yui, Rei, or any of the other things that took part in making Third Impact was it was in EoE.

Likewise, WILLE is neither here nor there in helping the viewer understand Human Instrumentality. Sure, they may know a few things about it. (Goddamn Ritsuko's on the team.) But they're actively trying NOT to take part in Human Instrumentality. And Neo-NERV is just NERV II, really. Nothing new or different going on there, just Gendo being Gendo and trying to being about Instrumentality in his own way. Nothing really changed, other than that now they're fighting against their "former selves" (if you will) who took residence at WILLE. That, and weird Rei and creepy Kaworu's in town, doing whatever they're told. (Kaworu just does it with more class than Rei does, obviously.)

That whole senario basically cancels itself out when it comes to the series' plot or character development. It's 14 years of useless information where very little took place to advance the sinister Instrumentality plot any further. So why include it?

Well, to be honest, there isn't any reason to include it. I'm pretty sure nothing outside of boring dialogue scenes took place within the 14 years that would have explained Nebuchadnezzar's Key, Gendo's master plan, or bring Unit 01 Instrumentality any closer. (If there was, Instrumentality would have already happened before the events in Q took place.) The only thing you're really missing out on are probably awkward conversations between Kaworu and Rei, and the many adventures of Asuka and Mari as the battle the dastardly Neo-NERV and their faithful Nemesis Series.

Clearly there's nothing visually in the 14 year gap that would have helped you understand the films any better. And you're certainly not missing out on any Shinji development, I can tell you that much. And wasn't he the main character of these movie or something like that? So why not start back up where Shinji left off? you know, when other characters go back to explaining things to him again.

SPEAKING OF Shinji he's told an awful lot in these movies; more so than he ever was in the TV series. And we, the viewer, get to watch as he's told these things. He's told in 1.11 that those crazy things attacking Tokyo III are "Angels," he's told that Lilith's being a deadbeat as she lives in the basement, he's told that the Angels touching her funny will cause Third Impact...

And in 3.33 he's told even more! He's told that his mother's trapped inside Unit 01! That's a piece of exposition that was never passed on via dialogue in the TV series, much less to Shinji! People sure are complaining about there being lot of unanswered mysteries in the new movies when we literally have more blatant source confirmed information about this kind of thing now than when we watched the TV show. Are people really more curious about Nebuchadnezzar's Key in the new movies than they were Adam in the TV show? So curious that they'll complain about EVERYTHING, regardless of whether or not it's of any actual merit, until they get that one little piece of the puzzle that solves everything? And do you really think there's more to Beast Mode than just some backdoor code?

Do you honestly think you're (not) gonna get answers via dialogue in FINAL?

Really?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:34 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Crazy theory: The sword that Eva 08+02 uses is Nebuchadnezzar key. :hahaha:

It's the Magoroku Extermination Sword, a.k.a. Magorox. This is something that Yamashita designed for the original series, but has so far only appeared in artwork, games, and packaged with action figures.

(And somehow I figured out it was the Magorox as far back as the compressed-to-hell camrip. Not bad, eh?)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Jinroh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:34 pm

Could someone take a screen of the eva series? I can't wait to finally see what they really looked like.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby qu4d » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:43 pm

View Original PostJinroh wrote:Could someone take a screen of the eva series? I can't wait to finally see what they really looked like.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Jinroh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:45 pm

Thanks! So they do look like mark 06?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:46 pm

HOLY SHIT! Look at 'em all!

Is the goal "kill 'em all," or "just get past 'em to reach the giant dumbbell"?

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby qu4d » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:46 pm

Yep, exactly like .06 - just in a dark green.

andreh
Lilith

Postby andreh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:16 pm

Really seems like Gendo is poor in resources: screwing a knife in a progressive rifle is what I call a kludge -o-;
[url]http://i.imgur.com/nss9YG4.jpg[/url]
However, Frank's sword is beautiful :woohoo:
I do not speak English natively. If you see any error, blame my teacher or Google Translate LOL

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:18 pm

Holy crap. The new trailer looks glorious.

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:22 pm

As cool as the new Mass Production Evangelions are, I preferred the older "Harpy" model. There was something so...menacing about the white-clad predators, with their eyeless, rictus grinning heads, lean bodies and stark white armour.

These, good as they are, just look generic. Still, they could change, and it isn't the worst design I've ever seen (although I have never seen an official Evangelion design I didn't like to be honest).
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:23 pm

They look much more like soldiers; something that the modern military would produce.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:29 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:As cool as the new Mass Production Evangelions are, I preferred the older "Harpy" model.

Agreed. The "Harpy" models looked rather naked, as in no armor. I'm trying to imagine what facility manufactures armor for that many Evangelion.

Not that this is a big issue for me. I'm just curious if that's a sign that the designs will change any.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Na7e » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:30 pm

I'm dissapoint Anno. Is this really your attempt at rebuilding Asuka's final battle?:facepalm:

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby qu4d » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:34 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:I'm dissapoint Anno. Is this really your attempt at rebuilding Asuka's final battle?:facepalm:

Already facepalming at a 20 second clip before you know any context etc?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:36 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:I'm dissapoint Anno. Is this really your attempt at rebuilding Asuka's final battle? :facepalm:

I dunno. Asuka's Final Battle was more of a "Kill them now!" This one seems to just be Unit 8+2 running through an obstacle course. I doubt too much real "fighting" will infer that this is endeed supposed to be Asuka's Final Battle. (Unless Asuka really does die in this scene. Then we'll know.) For all we know, this could be her "Second-to-Final Battle," or maybe "Random Battle Asuka Has and Survives Before Going Home and Cleaning the Dishes." It could even be "Mari's Final Battle that Asuka Watches from the Side Lines."

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Hatsumi92 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:52 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:I'm dissapoint Anno. Is this really your attempt at rebuilding Asuka's final battle?:facepalm:

Probably not. None of these previews ever seem to make it into the final product, and the CGI in this clip is clearly unfinished for a reason. The only bit I could see actually being a finished shot which could possibly be in the final movie is the bit where Unit 8 + 2 runs and jumps into the sea of Units.

What makes Asuka's The End of Evangelion fight so incredible isn't the fight itself (while a really incredible fight, don't get me wrong) but it is the magnitude of what she is doing. This clip doesn't seem to be replicating that "feeling" as much as it is replicating or imitating it only in a visual way, if that.

Though again, this probably won't be in the final film. Something resembling it may be in the final film, but I highly, highly doubt we'll see this ever again. Anno is fucking with you.

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby driftking18594 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:07 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:It's the Magoroku Extermination Sword, a.k.a. Magorox. This is something that Yamashita designed for the original series, but has so far only appeared in artwork, games, and packaged with action figures.

(And somehow I figured out it was the Magorox as far back as the compressed-to-hell camrip. Not bad, eh?)

I sometimes had daydreams where Eva-02 has a big motherfucking sword, but I kinda thought they were a bit too generic and dumb for Eva.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Jinroh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:47 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:They look much more like soldiers; something that the modern military would produce.

Well, that's exactly what they are...

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”